Poirot's Obituary

MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
Whilst listening to a quiz show on BBC Radio 4 today.
I discovered that Poirot's death was announced in an obituary in the New York Times in August 1975
It was front page news and was the first fictional character ever to be given this treatment by the New York times !!

Comments

• That just shows how popular AC has always been! I wish a film producer would tempt David Suchet out of retirement. I'd love to see him do a long one again.

I've got to select my Christmas AC reading, now it's December tomorrow. Usually it's Hercule Poirot's Christmas, but the Sittaford Mystery which I have just read would do. What I'd really like is a recording of a radio reading. I wonder where you get those from?
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    Hi Griselda.You can by C.D.'s of the radio recordings from Amazon or you can listen to some on YouTube (Which I do)
    I also record programes on B.B.C. Radio 4 extra and listen to them.Poirot and Marples are on fairly regularly.
    Hercule Poirot's Christmas will be on my bedside table soon too !!!

• Thanks, Marc! It will be great not even to have to bother straining the old eyes! Will you be reading Christmas Pudding one, too?
    Yes Griselda.And The Sittaford Mystery as you mentioned previously.
    My other (Non-Christie )Must Read is, Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.....
  • SiddharthaSSiddharthaS Michigan, United States

Back in 1975, my uncle sent me a condolence letter when Agatha Christie's "Curtain" was announced, several months before its eventual publication.  Knowing how fascinated I was with the Belgian with an egg-shaped head and a penchant for order and method, condolences were obviously in order.  The letter also contained the newspaper clipping.  Later, my elder sister sent a hard bound copy of the book, and over the years, it has facilitated many a trip to nostalgia.   

My response to that letter was an emotional one, as appropriate for my age.  "When the Curtain falls, I shall feel very lonely indeed", I recall writing back.   

In that letter I also speculated whether Poirot himself would be the killer in that story, given his boasting to Hastings in jest that should he himself ever commit a murder, it would be impossible to figure out. 

Question: can someone remember where that boast appears?  In "The ABC Murders"?  In "Murder on the Links"??  Somewhere else???
    What a lovely personal story SiddharthaS of the effect that your enjoyment of Poirot/A.C. has had on an aspect of your life.......

Poirot's jest to Hasting rings a bell......but for the life of me,I can't remeber where i read it...