And Then There Were None - The Board Game!

RolandoCastilloRolandoCastillo Florida, United States
edited August 2015 in And Then There Were None
Hello! Just wanted to pass along this information -- In 2014 Peka Editorial, a game company based in Spain, released a game based on Dame Agatha Christie's classic mystery story. Currently available in Spanish only, the game's creators are waiting on final approval from Dame Christie's estate to make the game available in English. Here's a picture of the Spanish edition, titled "10 Negritos". The English version will carry the title "And Then There Were None". This game looks fantastic and I'm waiting for it to be available soon!image

Comments

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    It's seems fantastic! I'm anxious to play it!
    Thanks for the news!
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    edited August 2015
    Hi @RolandoCastillo ;That's a fantastic bit of news. I can't wait for the English version.
  • Yes, that's a great news. I can't wait to play it.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Wow!  Is this like "Clue?"  What is the object of the game?  To survive or to identify the killer, or something else?
  • RolandoCastilloRolandoCastillo Florida, United States
    Hello, GKCfan! This is the description that is on the "Board Game Geek" website, where I first heard about the game:

10 Negritos (translated as And Then There Were None) is a cooperative board game based on the Agatha Christie novel of the same name. In this game, players take control of a group of characters isolated in a mansion on a lonely island. The characters start getting murdered one after another, and players need to make groups with the characters and send them to different locations, either in the mansion or on the island, in order to discover clues and disclose the identity of the murderer.

Players decide when to take advantage of each character's ability and cards, in addition to guessing who is necessary and who is dispensable. Ideally you'll reveal the killer's identity before time runs out — but not all of the players are what they seem to be and the murderer may have an unsuspected accomplice amongst your group.

Will you be able to cooperate and unmask the killer and his accomplice before the last of the characters dies?

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    It sounds like a detective version of Dungoens and Dragons meets Cluedo.
    Interesting!  Thank you!  I wonder if the killer is the same from the book, and if it's always the same killer.
    My guess is that the killer can be different every game. There are a couple of gameplay videos out there (all in Spanish, unfortunately) and from what I've gathered it appears that each character has three clues (items like car keys, a pipe, a lipstick case, etc.) unique to them. I'm guessing that finding all three clues keeps that character alive that round. Anyway, I've written to the director of the game company and told him about this discussion thread. I've also written to a licensing representative of Agatha Christie's estate and inquired if the approval has been given. At least this way both the director and the rep can see that there is a lot of interest in the English version of the game. If I hear anything I'll definitely post it here! :) 
    Greetings, all! Just a quick update - earlier this month I received a message from game designer Peka Editorial saying they are working on a tie-in with BBC One's upcoming three-part miniseries of "And Then There Were None." Hopefully this means that the English version of the game will be available for Christmas! 
  • AE123AE123 United Kingdom
    Hi. I'd love to buy this game for a Christmas present this year. Any news on the UK edition?
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I think it would be great if the Guilty Party could be different every time, it might be like Cluedo, I sometimes think it would be great if there were versions of each book like that, special editions for instance with ATTWN there would be 10 editions and with MOTOE there would be 12 etc. 
    Hello, AE 123! Nothing yet but I sent a message to Peka Editorial asking if there was any new information. They're very good about answering right away so as soon as I hear something I'll post it here. :)
    This afternoon I received a reply from Peka Editorial. Unfortunately they don't have a release date yet but they will definitely release the English-language version. As soon as they have a date they will announce it on their website as well as social media outlets...and I will absolutely announce it here! :)
    Hello, all! Monday I received a message from Adrian Ferriero from Peka Editorial. He says that the English version is finally moving forward and will keep me updated on developments as he receives them. I'm hoping that the game will be available in time for Christmas but that may be cutting it a bit close since we're only a month and a half away from it. As always, as soon as I hear something I'll post it here!
    Unfortunately I don't have any new information to report. :( Peka Editorial has assured that the game is on their schedule but as of now they don't have any news to share. As soon as I hear something I will post it here.
  • bAr28bAr28 Dundee, Scotland
    Extremely excited for the release, the series was great! Do hope that the game is released soon! Thank you SO much for keeping us anxious fans informed, I really do appreciate it! I hope it's released in time for this Christmas coming so that we can play it around that time as a family. Thanks again!
    Hello, bAr28! Now that the series has been broadcast in Europe I'm hoping there will be a lot more interest in the board game. I'll definitely send another message to the designers at Peka Editorial to see if they've received more inquiries on it. (as well as if there's any new developments, of course!)  I want to keep letting them know there are people out there waiting for it! If you want to let the designers know as well here's their web address: http://pekaeditorial.com -- the website is in Spanish but if you click on "Contacto" on the upper right corner, you can send them a message. Just fill in the blanks in this order: Your name/e-mail address/e-mail subject/message. You'll have to put together an image before sending your message; this is to prevent spam messages. One more thing: the website's home page has a few photos of the Spanish version on the lower right side. Hope this helps!
  • bAr28bAr28 Dundee, Scotland
    Thank you very much, it does! I am most excited for it! Thanks again! 
    edited February 2016

Good morning.

I wish I had better news but unfortunately it now appears that the English version will not be made -- at least not now and not by Peka Editorial. Frustrated at the lack of information on the English version of this game I posted a comment on Peka Editorial's website last night:

This is a very difficult letter to write but I must say how disappointed I am with your handling of the English version of "10 Negritos"." From the United States to South America, England to Australia, fans of Agatha Christie's most famous novel have been patiently waiting for the English version of this game. However, trying to get solid information from you about the status of this game is almost impossible. The last piece of non-information that was received in December (see my post below). Since then, nothing. I was so sure that we would have received news when the new adaptation of "And Then There Were None" was broadcast by the BBC in December. But once again, nothing. Unfortunately, I've decided it's not worth the wait - a tragedy since I would have gladly supported the game through Kickstarter or any other funding site you would have chosen. Finally, the only thing I can do is wish Peka Editorial the best of luck in 2016 because if this is a indication of how you do business you are going to need it.

This morning I received their response. Apologies in advance for the stilted language as it was translated from Spanish using an online translator:

Hi Rolando. Unfortunately for us this journey has been very difficult as well . Finally we have not been able to pull off the game with the license and we'll have to find alternatives if we can. Although this probably means that, Peka as such, it will continue in 2016.

There are many problems, logistical and personal behind, as you say, the "disinformation" that we could give you, and we hope that you understand.

Who knows, maybe the project ends up in the right hands and get to the international market with a solid foundation in another company that already has his renown in these matters.

The problem of not having all the information, is that your letter is understandable, but does not cover the reality of the events that have occurred.

I wish you the best as well.

So there you have it. It appears that the license will revert back to the Agatha Christie estate (if it hasn't already done so) where hopefully a larger -- and better-run -- game company will succeed where Peka Editorial failed. :cry:

I just found out about a 1968 And Then There Were None board game:  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11387/and-then-there-were-none-ten-little-indians.

There's also a Murder on the Orient Express board game from 1967, but it stars Sherlock Holmes instead of Hercule Poirot!  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4767/murder-orient-express
    GKCfan said:
    I just found out about a 1968 And Then There Were None board game:  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11387/and-then-there-were-none-ten-little-indians.

There's also a Murder on the Orient Express board game from 1967, but it stars Sherlock Holmes instead of Hercule Poirot!  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4767/murder-orient-express

Those two games were part of a four-part collection called "Famous Mystery Classic Series" put out by Ideal Toys in the late 60's. The other two were "The Case of the Elusive Assassin" that had Ellery Queen and "Fu Manchu's Hidden Hoard."

As you've noticed, Ideal took a lot of liberties with the games. My brother had the Ellery Queen one years ago and I had "And Then There Were None". Sadly, the game was not very good (I ended putting it up on ebay when I moved to California). Numbered cards were dealt out to the players and you had to find out who held what cards. The strange thing was that card numbered "1" had the picture of the novel's murderer -- so if you hadn't read the book the game pretty much spoiled it for you!