Agatha Christie's grave

Colinda1968Colinda1968 Vught the Netherlands
Last weekend I visited the grave of Agatha Christie, to pay my respect to the greatest writer of all times. I was shocked to see the state it was in!!
You would think that the family or the Agatha Christie foundation would take better care of such an important place!!
Does anyone else feel the same as I do?

Comments

• More than a year ago, after a similar note by another forum member, I wrote the managers of this site and was told that my message had been transfered to the family and the grave would be taken care of. I seems nothing was done.
  • Seems like Agatha Christie and her legacy doesn't really matter all too much to her family. And it goes to show with the way her adaptations are being done today. Not only that but with a new series of Poirot books being written, though Christie wrote Curtain for a reason. Looks like it's all about money. Receiving money. Bringing the money in, not putting the money out such as taking care of Christie's grave. And when you look at this forum, it's as dead as a doornail. What happened to the exciting discussions on the books and films? That's why I don't frequent as much as I use to. By the time I got here, all of the exciting discussions had dwindled and it's worse now then before. No wonder some have left, specifically Griselda whom I enjoyed discussing Christie with. What are the moderators doing so the excited discussions can happen once again? The forum is a shadow of its former self. 
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    I am very distressed to hear about the state of Christie's grave.  Thank you to bringing this to my attention.

As a moderator, I've been trying to restart the forum– I've launched few topics over the last few months, but I haven't been as successful as I'd like.  The new "Witness for the Prosecution" game didn't produce the influx of good posts I'd hoped.

If you have any suggestions or advice for improving the forum, would you please let me know?  Thank you so much!  I really want to make this forum a friendly, interesting, active and supportive place, and I would really appreciate it if you could please help me get this forum restored to its former glory.  Thank you!
  • I think if I were moderator, I'd try to raise issues that relate AC's writing to the readers: E.G., what kind of professions did women have in her books, and how the limitation of women's possibilities in life effected her writing. Or the male-female relationship in the light of stereotypes (e.g. compared to Patricia Wentworth's "Dominant male" stories). Also things like social mobility and class norms.
  • edited May 2017
    I think another good way to raise interest in the forum is to have book discussions. I know that books of the month pop up here and there at times but I think what we need is "active" book discussions, discussing Agatha Christie books in detail, comparing and contrasting her works to other works during the Golden Age period and even modern mystery writers. Re-reading a Christie book never gets old and there's always new things to discover. I don't think any Christie fans would object to this. We need a book of the month and discuss it, having committed forum members to participate. We don't need to have them every month -- we need a rest every now and then. 

It wouldn't hurt to have a book discussion in the "Not About Agatha Christie" section discussing other fantastic books of the GA period. 

There is so much potential for this forum and I hate to see it die out like this, especially when Agatha Christie still remains popular, all her works are still in print and she gains new readership every year.  
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Thank you both!  I plan to incorporate your ideas into the forum over the coming months.
  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom

Last weekend I visited the grave of Agatha Christie, to pay my respect to the greatest writer of all times. I was shocked to see the state it was in!!
    You would think that the family or the Agatha Christie foundation would take better care of such an important place!!
    Does anyone else feel the same as I do?

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. We have relayed this information to the family, who were shocked and upset at the news and have since brought it to the attention of the vicar who looks after the churchyard. 
  • Like several before me I also visited agatha's grave in November 2017 and was shocked to see the grave so uncared for.  

I felt very saddened to think how much pleasure she has given to so many people over many generations and obviously none of the family are concerned enough to honour the lady and her husband with more cared for grave. 

it appears any previous communication with the local vicar hasn't improved things.
  • shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname
    Seems to me we are going in circles on both topics: A.C.'s grave and ideas on reviving this forum. Change comes when things are done differently. In older treads on this forum several revival ideas have been suggested a couple of  times already. I haven't seen any of those ideas implemented yet. And going by the remarks of those who have seen the grave recently, no improvement either on that front. :( :'(
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    1.  I think a different looking message board would help.  Look at Superherohype.com for example as they get a lot of views.

2.  There was finally another major Agatha Christie based film released in theatres, was there a specific place to discuss it?
  • TonyDTonyD woking, surrey, uk
    Tell us where the grave is and there must be a few kindly souls not living too far away who will go and look after it like it should, fresh flowers every week for instance.
  • TonyD said:
    Tell us where the grave is and there must be a few kindly souls not living too far away who will go and look after it like it should, fresh flowers every week for instance.
    According to this site:

https://cemeteryclub.wordpress.com/2016/09/15/a-visit-to-agatha-christies-grave/

the grave is at the north-west corner of the graveyard of St. Mary's Church in Cholsey, near the Mallowans' home in Wallingford. 

The photo of the grave (from 2016) shows quite a bit of litchen on the gravestone, which could use some cleaning. On the other hand, there are flowers in the pots, the area is clean and green. And perhaps that is the way Agatha Christie would have prefered it.