Death on the Nile Release Date!

GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
It looks like Kenneth Branagh's Death on the Nile will be out Nov. 8, 2019!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-dates-murder-orient-express-sequel-pushes-alita-1084263

Comments

• Whenever it hits the theatres, I'll go out and watch it BUT I'm not expecting much from the new production of Death On The Nile. At least I'll get a night to go out and enjoy popcorn and soda pop! The book will always be the best in my book! To have a movie based on Christie's books hitting the big screen is a treat but I wish they were more faithful to the book, instead of thrusting modern elements merely to appeal to a contemporary audience. Hope we won't get a Poirot that is half mystery, half action. 
  • The original, Ustinov movie was fairly faithful, if you'd like to see it. 
  • The original, Ustinov movie was fairly faithful, if you'd like to see it. 
    I saw the Ustinov version and that is a good treatment of the book, simplifying it while at the same time being true to the material. Of course there are some flaws but nothing outstanding to turn me away.The snake part in the film I could have done without, though.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I liked the snake part, It would have been nice if The Allerton's had been in The Film.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    ***SPOILERS***

The big question I had in the Ustinov version was how did the killer get the snake to put in Poirot's cabin?  The boat didn't stop on the way back north, did it?  Would the guilty party have had to have bought it ahead of time?  Did the killer keep it in a cabin, feeding it for a couple of days just in case it was needed?
  • PoirotBabosaGalaxyPoirotBabosaGalaxy Fort Lauderdale
    Oh, my gosh! I do hope that the plot has twists and turns and perhaps goes back into ancient Egypt with a book like Death Comes as the End. Like a big giant Atlas cloud super plot mystery that all comes together.

Sherlock Holmes movies are modern.

It's now time that Monsieur Hercule Poirot becomes a strong super hero character with action packed scenes beating up the bad guys with his cane and smash his numerous amounts of magnifying glasses on the suspects to make them squirm in their seats whilst he's trying to make them confess. 

The little wimpy portrayal of a legendary HERCULES solving little old lady MURDERS has got to halt. And now let's board the orient express and go further into an entire dimension.

What all of you lack is imagination! All of you old dusty book worms are crawling all over Agatha Christie's ancient texts and in turn cannot come up with anything original as she did.

I have been creatively re-imaging what an Agatha Christie mystery movie ought to look like for some time now. And I could come up with s superb modern and totally suspenseful screenplay. 
    Poirot Babosa Galaxy You are wrong in nearly every way, The Film should be as it is in the book, I assume you are a fan of BBCs Sherlock and I too would like Poirot and Miss Marple, The Beresfords and some of the other Characters to have the same treatment but from your insults to us I doubt you have the ability to do it
  • I'll be interested as to how this version will do it, as orient express seems to suggest that the murder on the nile has already taken place, whereas the original book Poirot is already there
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I'm also curious if this version will be faithful or not. Death in the Nile is a great book. It would be more interesting to be faithful to it. And I would like less action. Poirot isn't a sort of street fighter or something like that.
  • Luke said:
    I'll be interested as to how this version will do it, as orient express seems to suggest that the murder on the nile has already taken place, whereas the original book Poirot is already there
    Do you mean the movie? Because I don't remember the Nile being mentioned in the book about the Orient Express (rather, the end of "Murder in Mesopotamia" suggests that "Murder on the Orient Express" will follow immediately). 
    Doesn't Poirot say at the end that he is going on a trip up the Nile or is it the other way round?
    There's no mention of going down the Nile in the book MOTOE, though in the Peter Ustinov movie Death on the Nile Poirot tells Mrs. Van Schuyler he wished he could tell her about his investigation on the Orient Express at the very end, and in the Kenneth Branagh MOTOE movie an official tells Poirot he needs to visit Egypt because there's been "a murder on the Nile." 
    Oh.
  •  Well, I do indeed have a side by side
    "Death Comes As The End" screenplay for "Death on the Nile." 

[Really? Tommy_A_Jones 
    @Tommy_A_Jones Really? An insult?
          "Ptah-Fooey!"
    Comment dismissed. I'm not interested in Sherlock Holmes: never have I ever been, either. It's too boring to me alongside with being too scientific and unimaginative. That's why I like Poirot. Don't go about assuming so much.]

"Why all the little details?" asked Poirot.
     Why can't Hercule Poirot be in a thousand other places solving cases all the time simultaneously as in perhaps assisting an archaeologist, Dr. Sieczynski, discover the precise location of a group of ancient hieroglyphs. The key symbol being that it would unravel a murder that happened so long ago...
    "It happened in 2000 B.C. or so... The youngest daughter of the Egyptian priest must have been in here." Dr. Sieczynski recounted to the detective, "I'm almost certain that she was in this temple..."
    "She could have left a 'clue,' is what you mean to tell me, docteur?"
    "Yes, that! What her clue wrote..." Dr. Sieczynski paused for a moment, "...would be essential to solve this little mystery."
    The doctor stared at the little detective hovering over a corner of that dusty old temple.
    After he saw what he had just discovered, Hercule Poirot handed Dr. Sieczynski a magnifying glass.
    "Alas! Voila. It's here, mon ami. Look for yourself."
    "Are you sure this is it, monsieur Poirot?"
    "But, of course!" 
    Sieczynski looked at that tiny hieroglyph with Poirot's magnifying glass.
     Somehow Poirot seemed very perplexed; and whatever that strange hieroglyph depicted had bothered the detective. Somehow so long ago, something had gone gravely amiss...

Somewhere in a temple, the great mind of Agatha Christie was writing all the time...
     If there are no exciting storylines or new super plots, then the only people that will be interested in watching POIROT on their black and white television set will be the little pink and white fluffy old ladies like Miss Marple and Mrs. McGillicuddy who will have died before our dear Poirot finished his resolution.
    "Is it over?" asked Mrs. McGillicuddy.
    Miss Marple switched off the set.
    "Oh, yes, dear," said Miss Marple.
    "I was almost sure," Mrs. McGillicuddy said, "that old pompous French toad with the moustaches was gonna croak."
    "Oh, dear," Miss Marple went on, "what a vain little frog! He most certainly is!"

[CopyCat vs. CopyCat.]
    "Get that that murder card off the table!"
    "Is that a bluff? Is it? Jackie... Look at me!"
    "Now you look here, Tommy- err- I mean Simon!"
    "What?! Who's Tommy?"
    "No... I meant you, Simon... I meant you..."
    "I've done all this for you... And you just had to ruin it all... You don't care a Tuppence about me! Do you? Go to bed, Jackie!"
    "No, I'll kill you first!"
    Bang. Bang.
    Simon was Tommy.
    Jackie was Tuppence.

All over and over again, Agatha Christie had the same motif going on and it was wonderfully superfluous and it needs to expand at an even grander scale. It would be a marvelous detective cartoon series but children aren't interested in just dialogue; they urge action and super hero space stuff. "Don't you agree, Captain Hastings?" asked Colonel Race, nudging me in the shoulder.
    "Uh, oh, yeah," I said, "about the children and all. Great stuff, I daresay. Well, it's too bad that Hercule Poirot never told me much about his adventures in Egypt."
    "I was there with him!" Colonel Race said.
    "Well, I say! I'm all ears, colonel."
    I listened. I opened my mind. I don't know why but I could not help myself stop thinking about the little gray cells. They were moving faster and faster.

• AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    Luke said:
    I'll be interested as to how this version will do it, as orient express seems to suggest that the murder on the nile has already taken place, whereas the original book Poirot is already there
    I am so glad you brought this up! I liked the MOTOE movie mentioned another Christie story, however didn't like that it was implied that the death already occurred.  Death on the Nile is one of those stories where the build up is very important!!
    Perhaps it'll open like MOTOE's Priest, Rabbi, and Imam scene.  There may be a murder Poirot clears up in the first three minutes, and then we move on to the case of Linnet Doyle.