Agatha Christie dining with Queen Elizabeth II and other Christie memories.

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
In An Autobiography Agatha Christie marks buying a car and dining with Queen Elizabeth II as two of the most exciting things that happened to her in life. She described the experience of dining with Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace as having a fairy-tale quality to it as she thought that it was something that she would never have the pleasure of experiencing, describing the Queen as ‘so small, and slender, in her simple dark red velvet gown with one beautiful jewel', and remembering, 'her kindness and easiness in talking.’

Have you read An Autobiography?
Which of Agatha Christie's memories have you read or heard about that have stuck with you the most?
Tagged:

Comments

• Some of my favourite parts are the ones about her stay at Ur with the Woolleys. I first read "Murder in Mesopotamia" and then the autobiography, and it was fun to recognize some of the people she based the characters on. I guess the thing I most admired was that she didn't diss her first husband, despite his treatment of her - and my absolute favourite part is when her second husband comes back from the war (WWII) looking like the white knight, and she burns the kippers - their joy shines through from every word.
  • This is a fantastically educational article Paper Writing. I similarly agree with your post title and you truly well light up your point of view. I am marvelously peppy to see this post. A dedication of appreciation is with the goal for providing for us. Keep it up and share the more most related post.
  • The writer has framed an awe inspiring article Assignment Services. You made your point and no to talk about. It would seem that this certain fact that you can not battle with the fact of the matter is not far reaching, everything has its prohibition. A commitment of gratefulness is all together for this data.
  • I basically need to offer basic an obligation of appreciation is all together for this amazing post, quality article of Case Study and will look a more unmistakable measure of your different hypnotizing substance. Stunning sharing!
  • Lena01Lena01 Yerevan,Armenia

Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Christie, Lady Mallowan, was an English crime novelistshort story writer and playwright. She is best known for her 66 detective novels and 14 short story collections, particularly those revolving around her fictional detectives Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. She also wrote the world's longest-running play, a murder mystery, The Mousetrap, and six romances under the name Mary Westmacott. In 1971 she was elevated to Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) for her contribution to literature.

Christie was born into a wealthy upper-middle-class family in TorquayDevon. She served in a Devon hospital during the First World War, tending to troops coming back from the trenches, before marrying and starting a family in London. She was initially an unsuccessful writer with six rejections, but this changed when The Mysterious Affair at Styles, featuring Hercule Poirot, was published in 1920.During the Second World War she worked as a pharmacy assistant at University College Hospital, London, during the Blitzand acquired a good knowledge of poisons which featured in many of her novels.

Guinness World Records lists Christie as the best-selling novelist of all time. Her novels have sold roughly 2 billion copies, and her estate claims that her works come third in the rankings of the world's most-widely published books, behind only Shakespeare'sworks and the Bible. According to Index Translationum, she remains the most-translated individual author – having been translated into at least 103 languages. And Then There Were None is Christie's best-selling novel, with 100 million sales to date, making it the world's best-selling mystery ever, and one of the best-selling booksof all time. Christie's stage play The Mousetrap holds the world record for longest initial run. It opened at the Ambassadors Theatrein the West End on 25 November 1952 and as of 2017 is still running after more than 25,000 performances.

In 1955, Christie was the first recipient of the Mystery Writers of America's highest honour, the Grand Master Award. Later the same year, Witness for the Prosecution received an Edgar Award by the MWA for Best Play. In 2013, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was voted the best crime novel ever by 600 fellow writers of the Crime Writers' Association. On 15 September 2015, coinciding with her 125th birthday, And Then There Were None was named the "World's Favourite Christie" in a vote sponsored by the author's estate. Most of her books and short stories have been adapted for television, radio, video games and comics, and more than thirty feature films have been based on her work.

• One of my favourite memories that Agatha wrote about, was, when she Said that she had Grown up with a good Deal of imagination, and when she described her dreams in her autobiography. ONe of her dreams that stuck with me was when she mentioned the "Gunman" who would haunt her nightmares, and I wondered If this could be an early sign of her prowess As an author of fiction that was Not exactly glad and Optimistic.
  • rabbity300rabbity300 London,England
    Life....
  • We saw Ukhaidir, wonderful in its isolation, and about an hour or two after we had left it came upon a desert lake of clear, sparkling blue water. It was outrageously hot, and I longed to bathe. ‘Would you really like to?’ said Max. ‘I don’t see why you shouldn’t.’ ‘Could I?’ I looked thoughtfully at my roll of bedding and small suit-case.

‘But I haven’t got any bathing-dress–’ ‘Haven’t you got anything that would–well–do?’ asked Max delicately. I considered, and in the end, dressed in a pink silk vest and a double pair of knickers. I was ready. The driver, the soul of politeness and delicacy, as indeed all Arabs are, moved away. Max, in shorts and a vest, joined me, and we swam in the blue water. It was heaven–the world seemed perfect–or at least it did until we went to start the car again. It had sunk gently into the sand and refused to move, and I now realised some of the hazards of desert driving.

Max and the driver, pulling out steel mats, spades, and various other things from the car, endeavoured to free us, but with no success. Hour succeeded hour. It was still ragingly hot. I lay down in the shelter of the car, or what shelter there was on one side of it, and went to sleep.

Max told me afterwards, whether truthfully or not, that it was at that moment he decided that I would make an excellent wife for him. ‘No fuss!’ he said. ‘You didn’t complain or say that it was my fault, or that we never should have stopped there. You seemed not to care whether we went on or not. Really it was at that moment I began to think you were wonderful.’ Ever since he said that to me I have tried to live up to the reputation I had made for myself. I am fairly good at taking things as they come, and not getting in a state.

I love the bold section from the autobiography - marvelous! 
  • PoirotBabosaGalaxyPoirotBabosaGalaxy Fort Lauderdale
    FABULOUS!
  • Max Mallowan corroberates Agatha Christie's memory of the bathing and the car getting stuck, and his reaction to her behavior in his memoirs: “ When Agatha came down to stay in March of that year Katherine Woolley in her imperious way ordered me to take her [Agatha] on a round trip to Baghdad and see something of the desert ... as it was a boiling hot day, we decided to have a bathe in a salt lake near by, but in doing so the car became inextricably stuck in the sand and looked as if it would never get out   Fortunately we had with us a Bedouin guard supplied by the police at Nejeif ... and after praying to Allah he set off to make the forty-mile journey on foot ... I remember being amazed that Agatha did not reproach me for my incompetence in leading the driver to get stuck in the sand, for had I been accompanied by Katherine Woolley that is what would have happened, and I then decided that she [Agatha] must be a remarkable woman.”
  • Linnet RidgewayLinnet Ridgeway Davao City, Philippines
    I haven’t gotten my hands on her life story but one that struck me  was her life job being an archaeologist or was it her marrying an archeologist. Either way, I really wanted to be one, I was wondering maybe she influenced my life choices through her books. Another was her faking her death, changing her name after the event that took place after the husband problem. Again shocked me the most, I literally considered stop reading her books  at all. Though even if I did now these things I still look forward for those moments ,  the killer was revealed.
  • HGCHGC Asheville
    Am re-reading for the first time in too long a copy I bought in November 1979. Am wondering why I wait so long between reads. Still in her early childhood, which is both delightful and thought-provoking. Her eye and her way with words captured me when I was perhaps 13 (a long time ago) and have held fast ever since. An incredible volume, the autobiography. That is all.