Which Agatha Christie novel is this?

BabyJaneBabyJane Germany
edited February 2019 in Ask an expert
I am German, but I have read many of Agatha Christie's novels in English too. 

In the back of my mind is a novel that I must have read several years ago and which I would love to read again, but I can't remember which one it was.

what I remember:
it was set in the English countryside
I think it had Poirot in it, but not sure
the suspects were all living in some sort of chalets or cottages, not in a typical village 
one of the suspects was on old millionaire, or major, he had a foreign servant (Indian, African?) and the detective commented how hot it was inside the cottage, which was probably because the servant wasn't used to the cold English climate

I know this is very vague, maybe it sounds familiar to someone.

Thank you very much for your help.

Comments

• Hi @BabyJane I'm going to offer up 'Murder is Easy'. No Poirot, but it does have the millionaire and the village life. If you do a quick search on the title you will find a synopsis of the story and see if its one you would like to read/re-read. 
  • BabyJaneBabyJane Germany
    edited February 2019
    Hi @Dr.Sheppard
    thank you for the suggestion.
    I ready Murder is Easy a few weeks ago, so it's definitely not Murder is Easy.

I know it's like finding a needle in haystack. I am sorry I can't recall any more details.
  • Could it be "The Sittaford Mystery"? No Poirot, though.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    It could be The Sittaford Mystery as there are a few houses and a Main Country house which you may confuse with a Motel and Chalet's and would be a very good remake BUT it could also be N or M where one Character has a Foreign  Butler who is Prussian (I think)
  • Thank you very much
    @taliavishay-arbel and @Tommy_A_Jones

You were exactly right.
    I just had a look inside the book and it's definitely The Sittaford Mystery.
    I knew there was a country house and some smaller rented out houses/cottages.
    Very happy to have found this. Will read it over the weekend.

Some of my favourite Agatha Christie novels I have read up to ten times, but this one I have read only once or twice, so it escaped my mind.
    Also, many books have completely different titles in German, so sometimes it gets confusing. 

Thank you so much :)

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I hope you enjoy it, It is one I have read a few times, once when I finished it I nearly started it again, that has only happened twice but I have other things I really want to read so either time I didn't.