Chapter Two: At 6.30pm

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
The competition is under way and with a brilliant opening chapter to follow up we're already looking forward to what's to come.

How are you tackling this month's theme of 'Time'? Are there any Agatha Christie books you particularly admire? What gets you inspired?

Leave all your Chapter Two questions, thoughts and queries here!

Comments

• LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
    edited November 2013
    Personally, for me, it would be hard to go on immediately. Maybe I will have to re-read the chapter several times, before I come up with an idea. And still - I will have the same difficulties I had for the first one - using anachronisms and trying to be as close to Agatha Christie's style as possible. :( I have my own style (like everyone else who tries to write stories) and never compared it to others, nor I have tried to interpret it and made it better (I just do not like the idea of analysis).
    I am looking forward to my muse. :D To everyone else - good luck and let's enjoy the writing! :)
    edited November 2013

I also have one proposal for the Agatha Christie team. Please, review it, it would be interesting to have this information once the whole scenario is completed:
    Is it possible to share the ideas about the murderer (who is the murderer, what their motive was and how they did it) for each of the winning chapters? This could be done after the tenth chapter is released. I would like to read the others' ideas which they had at the time of submission of their chapters. :)

• DarylDaryl Caerphilly, United Kingdom
    Does 'time' refer to when the time for something to happen at 6:30pm or just the time?
    I have one question:
    In 1950 Britain, were church clocks rang at every half hour (6, 6:30, 7, 7:30, etc) or just at round hours (6, 7, 8, ...) or even only at specific cases?
    The answer might lead me to different directions. :)
  • I can't find the first chapter to read!! 
  • Thank you for the link GKC. Also I congratulate Helene Nowell, great chapter. 

I have one question:
    In 1950 Britain, were church clocks rang at every half hour (6, 6:30, 7, 7:30, etc) or just at round hours (6, 7, 8, ...) or even only at specific cases?
    I imagine it would be highly annoying if they rung every 30 minutes!!  But maybe they did?? I think on the hour except  at Christmas when it would different. Then the bells would ring for ages. 
  • With regards the Church Clocks:
    I have one question:
    I live next to a 12th Century church, and the clock in the tower was installed over 300 years ago and I am told that the clock has sounded out today as it has in the past. It only chimes on the hour. However, the bells sound out on Sunday for 30 minutes before the service and on Monday nights for 1 hour bell practice, and  for weddings.
  • Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    edited November 2013

I have one question:
    Oh, bother: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_bell "In Christianity, many Anglican, Catholic, and Lutheran churches ring their church bells from belltowers three times a day, at 6:00 A.M., 12:00 P.M. and 6:00 P.M., summoning the Christian faithful to recite the Lord’s Prayer,[2][3][4] or the Angelus, a prayer recited in honour of the Incarnation of God.[5][6] Before modern communication methods, in small communities church bells were also used to call the community together for secular purpose."

:-O
    so church bells don't normally chime at 6:30 pm. unless it is done so on purpose..
  • If it was a Sunday the bells could be rung just before the service.
  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
    Daryl said:
    Does 'time' refer to when the time for something to happen at 6:30pm or just the time?
    "Time" can be interpreted in whatever way you like, provided it continues the previous chapter. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)
    How's everyone getting on with their entries? So excited to compare them all!
  • My question is about how to resolve a contradiction in Chapter 1 that will affect how I approach Chapter 2. In Agatha Christie's introduction, which I believe is still a part of the finished book, she has Edmund as an unemployed young man who is writing a book and doesn't do any real work according to his mother, In the continuation of Chapter 1 that was published here. Edmund is a slightly older veteran of WWII who drives a truck and wants to start his own business. Do we try to combine the two Edmunds or just choose one and let the contradiction stand?

My question is about how to resolve a contradiction in Chapter 1 that will affect how I approach Chapter 2. In Agatha Christie's introduction, which I believe is still a part of the finished book, she has Edmund as an unemployed young man who is writing a book and doesn't do any real work according to his mother, In the continuation of Chapter 1 that was published here. Edmund is a slightly older veteran of WWII who drives a truck and wants to start his own business. Do we try to combine the two Edmunds or just choose one and let the contradiction stand?
    The key to the game is incorporating the contradiction - you can do this however you choose. Is Edmund really writing a book? Is he young or just immature? Could this all be a clue to the mystery?
    Tuppence said:
    How's everyone getting on with their entries? So excited to compare them all!
    I am getting nowhere as of now. Still waiting for my muse. And I almost have no time, but if I have a great idea, I will definitely find time to write it down.
    I have one or two events in mind, but I am missing the method of the murder. Once I come up with it, everything else would be easier to make. (And based on what we already have as chapter one, I think the method is what stumbles me most, that is why I am thinking on it carefully.)
    It is tricky to continue someone else's work. Method is only part of the challenge - Agatha Christie was always very interested in motive. Why did they resort to murder?
    edited November 2013
    Tuppence said:
    It is tricky to continue someone else's work. Method is only part of the challenge - Agatha Christie was always very interested in motive. Why did they resort to murder?
    For the motive I will use one of my Top 5. :P I will support it with some background. But the church is what confuses me... Currently I see it (I hope others have better visions) as the crime scene (or at least the place where the body was found), but have no idea how the murder can happen, so that the body is found in/near the church, on the rang of the clock.
    Anyway, I will be participating in a competition on Saturday as a judge and I will see many different people, which I hope will give me many new ideas. :)
  • ‘I can always think of things. What is so tiring is writing them down. I always think I’ve finished, and then when I count up I find I’ve only written thirty thousand words instead of sixty thousand, and so then I have to throw in another murder and get the heroine kidnapped again. It’s all very boring.’

(Cards on the Table)

‘I can always think of things. What is so tiring is writing them down. I always think I’ve finished, and then when I count up I find I’ve only written thirty thousand words instead of sixty thousand, and so then I have to throw in another murder and get the heroine kidnapped again. It’s all very boring.’

(Cards on the Table)

I remember this quote. :) The same is with me. I have many ideas, just have no time or expertise to write them down. :)
    But now, I have no clear idea... Maybe, as Tuppence said, it is because we have to go on from a particular point. I think chapter 3 would be easier for me, though. :P
    And I can't wait to read the winning chapter two. It would be great to read afterwards more from the author, so that we know what inspired them and how they got their vision of the events. I hope the winning authors comment afterwards and share some experience (of course, without revealing what their idea about the murderer was, not until the very last chapter is published). :)
  • HBNHBN North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    I just wanted to say something about church clocks - it was often customary for them to chime the quarter hours, so one ring for quarter past, two rings at half past, three rings at quarter to the hour, and finally on the hour they would ring the number of hours. So at six thirty, I'd expect the church clock to chime twice. Nowadays people find this annoying if they live close to a church, so it doesn't happen as much.
  • Thank you Tuppence; I have thought of a way to combine the two aspects of Edmund.
    Thank you for the tip, Tuppence. Although I had to adjust my plot a bit, I was also able to combine the two aspects of Edmund.
    HBN said:
    I just wanted to say something about church clocks - it was often customary for them to chime the quarter hours, so one ring for quarter past, two rings at half past, three rings at quarter to the hour, and finally on the hour they would ring the number of hours. So at six thirty, I'd expect the church clock to chime twice. Nowadays people find this annoying if they live close to a church, so it doesn't happen as much.
    Thank you for the information, HBN.It might be helpful.
    I have one question regarding the church clock and their chiming pattern. Do we have to keep with one ring at 15min past the hour, two rings at half past, three at three quarters or can we change this pattern slightly? Thanks ever so much!
    ~O)
    Women's Institute and the New Jerusalem - some interesting piece of information if you're not very familiar with some aspects of British History...

According to Wikipedia the Women's Institute was a community-based organization for women aiming to revitalize rural communities and to encourage women to become more involved in producing food during the First World War. By 1926 the Women's Institutes were fully independent and rapidly became an essential part of rural life.During the WWII the WI limited their contribution to such activities as looking after evacuees and making jam of excess produce to be added to the rations.
    Of course the WI would have had a choir! The hymn chosen was Jerusalem, association with the fight for women's rights to vote and was considered as appropriate for the newly emerging WI movement which was encouraging women to take their part in public life and to fight to improve the conditions of rural life.

The words of Jerusalem are those of a poem by william Blake, "And did those feet in ancient time":

"
    And did those feet in ancient time.
    Walk upon Englands mountains green:
    And was the holy Lamb of God,
    On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here,
    Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
    Bring me my Arrows of desire:
    Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
    Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
    Till we have built Jerusalem,
    In Englands green & pleasant Land''

You can listen to the WI official anthem on youtube: Jerusalem Quite impressive!

Well, quite a bit of English history has been introduced in the first chapter by Helen, something having to be forcefully digested especially by a non-Brit - such as myself.

:)>- :D

Good luck everyone!
    ~O)
  • I have one question regarding the church clock and their chiming pattern. Do we have to keep with one ring at 15min past the hour, two rings at half past, three at three quarters or can we change this pattern slightly? Thanks ever so much!
    ~O)
    As I may have said already, I live just a few yards from a very beautiful church. The tower has three of its sides displaying a large clock face and in the morning, if I need to know the time while I am getting ready for work, I just look out of the window and see the church clock. It chimes from six in the morning through to eight in the evening. As we are writing this story whatever we say 'goes' within reason, so if I were writing I would feel it was ok to let the clock chime out any sound at any time I wanted it to.

If the members reading this want me to walk over and speak to the person that manages the clock to find out how it operates and give some feed back, I am happy to do so. Just let me know.
    Thank you so much Dr.Sheppard! i did read your previous post and saw the beautiful church building.
    So we could actually stretch the number of chimes a little bit... I'll think about it, as I've already changed the story to accommodate only two chimes at 6.30, but I do believe the previous version was better. Well, not much time left.

I am Christian Orthodox and when I grew up I lived next to a church, but in our religion the church bell only rings for service, weddings or important christian celebrations. Also, if i remember well, there were two funeral chimes, depending on the funeral service being held for a man or for a woman.

Going over the first chapter so many times I couldn't but notice how much dialog was incorporated. I think description is good, I think it ads color and flavor  to a story without dragging the story line too much... I did tried for my second chapter to cut out on some narrative. I think Agatha Christie also enjoyed her descriptive paragraphs and often these are the ones that mattered.
    Good luck everyone!

If the members reading this want me to walk over and speak to the person that manages the clock to find out how it operates and give some feed back, I am happy to do so. Just let me know.
    This is very tempting, Dr.Sheppard. If you have some spare time, could you possibly find out if it will be relatively easy for any person to adjust the number of chimes without having to change the hands on the clock / the time shown on the clock? let's say have six chimes at half past?
    Thank you so very much for your time!!
    :)

This is very tempting, Dr.Sheppard. If you have some spare time, could you possibly find out if it will be relatively easy for any person to adjust the number of chimes without having to change the hands on the clock / the time shown on the clock? let's say have six chimes at half past?
    Thank you so very much for your time!!
    :)

And I just got an idea for the method of the murder! Thank you, Pat, your words helped me evolve my initial idea, which I got for a church bell (at the beginning I read "church clock", but imagined "church bell", and later I let my idea go, but now I can adjust it suitably and conveniently for the clock).

And I just got an idea for the method of the murder! Thank you, Pat, your words helped me evolve my initial idea, which I got for a church bell (at the beginning I read "church clock", but imagined "church bell", and later I let my idea go, but now I can adjust it suitably and conveniently for the clock).
    Oh, well, my pleasure! Funny how a little phrase can help clear an idea!
    I also stumbled upon the church bell / church clock, but I know I tend to get the whole picture and leave out small, but vital details.
    :D

To work now, tic-toc ti-toc
    :bz
    Or should I say ding-dong, ding-dong
    :))