Which Was Your First Agatha Christie Book?

Comments

• youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    My first AC book read was A cat among the pigeons. I read it when I was fifteen or sixteen because my father had suggested me the author, and there was an old copy at home, in Spanish of course, with this story and 2 more: An then there were none and ABC murders (part of her complete works).
    Because of this, it has a special place in my heart (altough I could never say it's one of my favourites). I felt, like many others have commented, that Poirot got really late to the story (just like Miss Marple in The Moving Finger).
    However, it is well-balanced and entertaining.
  • earthmistearthmist Queensland, Australia
    edited February 2014

My first book ( and still my favourite ) And Then There Were None .... I was 13 at the time I bought it at a book stand before a long train journey.... the 600 miles passed very quickly !!!!

• And then there were none / aka ten little niggers

• Perhaps "Murder on the Orient Express", though it's hard to tell.
  • The Body in the Library when I was in Year 7 over 40 years ago.
  • Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    By a coincidence, it was "The mysterious affair at Styles". I didn't know, that it also was the first book, that she wrote, when I bought it. Second one was Death on the Nile, and it was the one that had me hooked.
  • EmsEms France
    edited March 2014
    The first AC Book I read was One, Two, Buckle My Shoe. And now I won't stop until I have read all of them!  :)
  • RinRin Hong Kong, China
    Death on the Nile. From then on I simply cannot escape from Agatha Christie. :)
  • PenguinPenguin Wisconsin, United States
    "And Then There Were None" was my first at the age of 11 or 12.
  • alanalialanali San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
    edited March 2014
    "Hallowe'en Party" (just like @LL88!). I believe I was 12 years old at the time.
  • The first Agatha Christie story I read was: Murder on the Nile , In dutch, because i'm from Belgium.
  • My first Agatha Christie book is the thirteen problems...
    I really love Agatha Christie's Novel, but its really pitty for me coz its really hard to get her novels @my home town...
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    That is my favourite book of short stories, last time I read it I changed the order of preference of the stories.
  • that_girl_againthat_girl_again Tamil Nadu, India
    My first was Murder on the orient express.My mom is a librarian. She told me they had bought a best seller by someone called Agatha Christie. I knew who she was but I hadn't read any of her works at that time. Since mystery is my favorite genre I decided to give it a try as I hadn't found a good mystery book in a while.It has and also will be my favorite book ever.I'm so glad i read it because that was the start of a beautiful relationship between me, Hercule Poirot and Agatha Christie. I haven't missed any of her works since then.
  • svcodemansvcodeman Pennsylvania, United States
    My first was Body in the Library
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    edited March 2014
    Reading comments like those of @Christery, @Lucy_G_Lemon, @earthmist and @that_girl_again makes me think (and also, feel) that part of our joy for AC comes from our own personal history and the way we got in touch at first with her.
    While I was imagining all your memories, I could also re-create my own  ones with AC books or other literature in general. I used to be a shy teenager with not so many friends, who had difficulties to connect with other people (until I entered the swimming team, that was when things started to get better).
    AC books could send me away to distant places, both in time and space, with distant people. They could definitely change my reality completely for many hours, and that is, I think, a goal of literature that no author should never not considerate. 
  • ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    I treat every Agatha Christie as my first book, that way I can read them with an open mind.
  • I think the first Christie I read was Three Blind Mice/The Mousetrap, followed by Hercule Poirot's Christmas. 
  • My first was And Then There Were None back in 1980 when I was I was a teenager. I've been hooked ever since.
  • CarrieBCarrieB Utah, United States
    Mine was The Man in the Brown Suit.  It's still a favorite.  My goal this year it to mostly read Agatha Christie.  I copied out a list of her books and am highlighting them off as I go along.  I've read 5 so far this year. ;)
  • My first Christie book was ` And Then There Were None ', the consequences of which was that I was drawn to Agatha Christie novels and I am on a mission to read all her works .
  • @youngmrquin I completely agree with your thoughts!  One thing I say to those who want to know why I love AC so much is that the pleasure in reading her books is not necessarily about solving the crime: It is more that she has the ability to transport you to another world instantly and credibly. Having a puzzle to solve as well is a bonus! As soon as you start reading, you are there. This, I believe, is her art.  As you say @youngmrquin, sometimes in life we really need that! That is why so many of us reach for her books, over and over. I thank her for giving us that escape route in what is sometimes a chaotic and challenging world. No wonder she was so popular during WWII! I know I have drifted off topic a bit here, but to bring it back:  you never forget your first Christie – not necessarily because of the plot, but because of the experience you have whilst reading it J

• My first one was Sad Cypress. I was 8. I had read all her novels by the time I was 17 and I have been rereading them since.
  • My first "Agatha" was And Then There Were None, and it's still a fave of mine, followed by Why didn't they ask Evans and  Murder on the Orient Express....well and all others :-j
  • MadeleineAMadeleineA New South Wales, Australia
    My first book was Murder on the Orient Express. I was about 12 or 13 when I read it, I was forced by my mum. However, after the first few chapters which were quite boring to my young teenage self, I grew to really enjoy it. 
  • My first book was "The Mistery of the Seven Dials" , I read it both in spanish and english and I just knew right away that I would become her fan. After 7 years of searching, I completed the collection, including the books she wrote as Mary Westmacott and the theatre plays. She is fantastic.
  • zsuzsannazsuzsanna Mures, Romania
    my first novel was AND THEN THERE WERE NONE,and I liked it so much,so when I was 12 I became fan of Aghata s and still I am..I love how she write.Also I like how she describes people and places
  • death on the nile........finished the last 40 pages in less than 10 mins!!!!!!
  • Death in the clouds. Still love the sense of glamour evoked by flying back then.
  • My first book "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd"

;;)