Chapter Four: The Mysterious Stranger

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
edited January 2014 in Write Your Own Christie
The next chapter of our story includes a mysterious stranger. Have they arrived in the village for the first time or are they returning? Do they have any connection to the murder of Julia Balan or is this a red herring? How will our new detective, Reverend Norris, react to their appearance? The choice is yours.

Any questions, theories or suggestions, post them here as we embark on the fourth chapter of our murder mystery.

Deadline for Chapter Four entries is 26th January 2014, 23:59 (GMT).

Comments

• LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
    I think that Margaret has already thought about this chpater and we should consider "Edward/Ted" as such a character. :) This is my theory, though. Other authors might think otherwise. But most probably I will try to use him as such a character.
  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
    Yes, Edward/Ted is an intriguing figure indeed and certainly lends himself to a bit of mystery...
  • In what year is this story supposed to be taking place?  Is it 1950, the same as Christie's original book?

• I am sure Tuppence will confirm the year this story is meant to take place, but I understood it to be 1950 and have based all my chapters on this year, however, on reading the entries there are details that have no relation to the 1950's. As a freelance proofreader, when I review an author's work I look out for these errors and discuss whether they should be amended before the book goes to print. The important point is to achieve continuity throughout the story.

In what year is this story supposed to be taking place?  Is it 1950, the same as Christie's original book?

Yes, the story takes place in the 1950's.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    If you need help keeping track of everything, check out this cast of characters list.  It may help you remember relevant people and clues: http://www.agathachristie.com/write-your-own-christie/read-the-story-so-far/list-of-characters/
    So, one of the characters we are already familiar with must be the murderer. :)
    Who do you think they are? Or is it too early to say? :P
    At least we know two who are still alive and are not the murderer for sure. ;)
    Or do we...?  :-O
    edited January 2014
    Tuppence said:
    Or do we...?  :-O

Yes. The detective (not that I do not like the idea of a detective being the murderer, but, well, it does not seem the case to me based on chapters two and three) and the murderer from the original "A Murder Is Announced" (due to their thoughts from chapter two, which I doubt to be fake as spoken words could be, so at least this time we can have that character innocent :) ).
    Or am I too eager to be an early bird catching the worm? ;;)
  • Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK
    edited January 2014

I might point out that if you refer to GKCfan's list of current characters, we already have 28 (excluding animals) and these have yet to be developed - if you are going to have them all in the final chapter to reveal the murder Poirot style, you are going to need a big room! Chapter four is titled 'The Mysterious Stranger, so that's one more character. Perhaps we already have the murder in the list rather than introduce a new character as the murderer. It may also be necessary to introduce the Police team that are going to guide our 'detective', which may or may not be Reverend Norris!

I went to see Robert Powell in 'Black Coffee' on the opening night at Windsor last night (7th January) and the final reveal was just Poirot and the Murderer on stage! It was a great show. I was lucky to be invited to go to the cast party after the performance and celebrate the first night success. An excellent play to watch. I am already thinking of going again, when it is more local. 

Perhaps we already have the murder in the list rather than introduce a new character as the murderer. It may also be necessary to introduce the Police team that are going to guide our 'detective', which may or may not be Reverend Norris!

As stated in the full guidelines for the competition, the murderer has to be a character introduced (whether minor or major) in the first three chapters:http://www.agathachristie.com/write-your-own-christie/full-competition-details/
  • alissapaschenalissapaschen Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Hello this may seem a stupid question but I don't know how to fill in the Entry Form that I downloaded in PDF, should I do it writing and then digitalize or there's another way?
  • The two simplest ways are to hand write your details and post it, or hand write it, scan it, then email it as an attachment. Email is the easiest; Tuppence will normally confirm she has received it. Good Luck.
  • Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    Hello this may seem a stupid question but I don't know how to fill in the Entry Form that I downloaded in PDF, should I do it writing and then digitalize or there's another way?

Save the entry format as a pdf on your computer. Open it. Scroll down to page 5, Entry Form. If you look on your pdf top bar, next to the save and print button there is a "sign, add text or send a document for signature button". Click on it. A menu will open on the right side of the screen. Choose (click) ädd text"then click on the pdf where you want to add your text. You should be able to adjust the font and the size. For signature, click on "Place Signature"from underneath the "add text" button on the right side menu. On the new menu opening there should be an option that allows you to actually draw your own signature. When you are done save the entire Competition Pack under your name + entry form. Attach it to your email.
    Hope this helps.

Tuppence said:
    As stated in the full guidelines for the competition, the murderer has to be a character introduced (whether minor or major) in the first three chapters:http://www.agathachristie.com/write-your-own-christie/full-competition-details/
    Oh, yes, always a good to keep this little detail in mind!
    you mean the Reverend, who hears the gun shot... and the victim herself?
    ;;)
    GKCfan said:
    If you need help keeping track of everything, check out this cast of characters list.  It may help you remember relevant people and clues: http://www.agathachristie.com/write-your-own-christie/read-the-story-so-far/list-of-characters/
    Great stuff! many thanks!
    ~O)
  • Congratulations Anne your Chapter Four was very readable. I left it too late to complete, but I had intended to introduce Reverend Norris's son, as I'm not sure the Reverend can solve the crime on his own. You have given us a good basis to continue with, I'm looking forward to writing my chapter.
    Well done, Anne, I really enjoyed reading your chapter!
    WOW, that is a great chapter! Congratulations to Anne. I felt like watching a favourite TV show and the end of the chapter left me cliffhanging for the next one. I have always wanted to read a story chapter by chapter, like watching a TV show. And now I have this chance and I really enjoy it. :)