Which Was Your First Agatha Christie Book?

13»

Comments

• Ai_SedAi_Sed New Jersey, United States
    And Then There Were None was my first book. I read it when I was about 9 or 10.  
  • DeanDean United Kingdom
    The first Agatha Christie book I read was The Mysterious Affair At Styles. I think it's just good if you read in order just in case one of the later books tells you the murderer of one of the previous books
  • mine was card on the table my brother in law bought it for me as my birthday's gift
  • Mine was And Then There Were None.                                                                 Althroug I watched a few of the TV versions before I began to read her books. My first story was The Secret of Chimneys.image

• BlueMoonBlueMoon Mandaue, Philippines
    My first one was The Murder at the Vicarage but I was too young to actually understand it so 2 years later I started reading more of her books
  • My first book was the ABC murders my Mother was an avid Christie fan and I inherited her library now I am too

• vazinvazin Shkoder, Albania
    the first novel i've read was "the mystery of the blue train", i've read in french and my french is not really good, although i'd like it so much
  • BuseBuse Kastamonu, Turkey
    Murder On The Orient Express. Then I became an addicted.
  • IleneIlene West Bengal, India
    my first book was ABC Murder!!!!!....loved it!!!!
  • JS88JS88 Peterborough
    I read Miss Marple novel first, the name I can't recall. It was about a young woman who moves into a house and then begins remembering things that may have been a murder. It was ok, but then a couple of years later my wife picked up the Mysterious Affair at Stiles in a charity shop for me and that was it, I was hooked on Poirot. Only 10 left to read now.
  • JS88 said:
    I read Miss Marple novel first, the name I can't recall. It was about a young woman who moves into a house and then begins remembering things that may have been a murder. It was ok, but then a couple of years later my wife picked up the Mysterious Affair at Stiles in a charity shop for me and that was it, I was hooked on Poirot. Only 10 left to read now.
    Sleeping Murder.
  • JS88JS88 Peterborough
    Ah, thank you. I do still have it somewhere. Maybe I'll revisit Miss Marple once I've read all the Poirots, but although I really enjoy Mr Quinn, I read the Secret Adversary and, to put it politely, couldn't believe it was by the same author, so I am a little shy of other Christie detectives as I don't want to be disappointed.
  • watermarkwatermark Portland, USA
    My first AG book was "Death on the Nile." I was encouraged to read it after seeing "Murder on the Orient Express" (2018) film on DVD about a month and a half ago.

Finished that and then read the book version of "MOTOE" as I found the movie version just incredibly moving and I so did not expect that every suspect had participated in the crime! I recognized this case immediately as remaking the tragic Charles Lindbergh kidnapping case (and I'm not entirely certain they ever caught the right person from that horrible case as well).

However, it wasn't until I read my third AG book, "The Body in the Library" that AG just BLEW MY MIND. I was still fuming for days with delicious enjoyment on how she concluded that novel.

I've read a total of 11 AG books so far and am starting on my 12. Several others just "blew my mind" again were "Murder at the Vicarage," "A Murder is Announced," and "Who killed Roger Ackroyd?"

Like MOTOE, I also found "Five Little Pigs" to be unexpectedly emotionally moving. It surprises me as I'm not usually emotionally moved by murder mysteries which shows AG having enormous empathy for crime victims as well as the reasons why the victim was murdered. She's a good writer.

I also was just howling with laughter at times as I didn't expect AG to be so funny! I loved how in "Murder at the Vicarage," after MM reveals the killer's identity, the next paragraph literally had the investigators wondering if MM was nuts as her suggestion was to them at that moment, utterly preposterous.

I also giggled at how funny it was that everyone was scrambling about in the dark in "A Murder Is Announced" after the shots were fired. 

I do admit with regret that not every AG book I've read "blows my mind." Some of them did not and others did. I am glad, however, that AG wrote many books so I'm going to be enjoying reading as many as I can get my hands on through my library! 
  • MohanMohan Chennai
    My first was Dead Man's Folly.  I remember I was thrilled when the first murder happened in a book and read out parts of it to my mother and elder brother in a most dramatic manner!  As a child I would see my mother reading a lot of Agatha Christie - she is still a major fan and I resolved to read her books.  After all, as a 12-year-old I felt I had to ''graduate'' to adult books from Enid Blytons, the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drews and The Three Investigators!  

I have to admit I didn't really enjoy Dead Man's Folly in my first read - I guess I was too young for it.  But I nevertheless plied on with my second which was A Pocket Full of Rye.  While I valiantly completed it, I can't say I was terribly thrilled with the reading experience of this one either.  The 3rd and 4th books were The Secret Adversary and The Man in the Brown Suit respectively and THEN I was hooked.  Both of these books were primarily adventure and that successfully drew me forever into the Christie world.  I have read all of her books (most unfortunately) but haven't read all of her plays though.  Christie still continues to be a major reading factor for me - there are many that I have read several times over and continue to do so!