The Monogram Murders - New Poirot Mystery

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
The title has been announced for the new Poirot mystery being published worldwide in September 2014.

Written by best-selling author Sophie Hannah, The Monogram Murders will be the first Poirot novel in 39 years, published across the world in over 28 languages and 50 territories.

"Hercule Poirot's quiet supper in a London coffee house is interrupted when a young woman confides to him that she is about to be murdered. She is terrified, but begs Poirot not to find and punish her killer. Once she is dead, she insists, justice will have been done."

Leave your thoughts, comments and questions here.

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    What a Brilliant Plot, It sort of reminds me of Third Girl but at the same time I am sorry Hastings won't be in it as I can see him in such a plot but there again I can also see Japp and Ariadne and Miss Lemon in it but they won't be, what a pity as one or some or all would be nice.
  • Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    The Monogram Murders - sounds exiting! I am looking forward to it - I'll buy the Kindle edition - this way I can have it as soon as it's been released - without having to wait for the overseas post! Can't wait!
    ;;)

I am sorry Hastings won't be in it
    Do we know when exactly the story takes place? I guess we are all hoping to meet Poirot, Miss Lemon, Hastings and Japp one more time - well, in no time at all we will know.
    Will there be a Kindle edition available for purchase on the 8th of September or just the hardback? Don't seem to find the kindle format available for per-order on Amazon.

Many Thanks!
    Will the new Poirot novel be translated in Romanian as well? If yes - who is the Romanian publisher? Thank you!
  • If she doesn't want anything done, why tell Poirot? Or does she think he'll be able to prevent the police from finding her killers. Or does she think that the police will involve him and he'll find the killer - and she wants the killer set free?
    Like the ABC Murders - only this time it's the victim contacting Poirot, not the killer. Unless, of course...
  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
    Will the new Poirot novel be translated in Romanian as well? If yes - who is the Romanian publisher? Thank you!
    The book will be published in Romania. You can find the full list of territories here: http://www.agathachristie.com/news/article/global-plans-for-new-poirot
    Thank you, Tuppence!

The Writer should be doing a book with a Character Agatha Christie didn't kill off but the fact that they are resurrecting Poirot shows that eiher they don't have faith in Christie's work or they are using Poirot as a Cash Cow. 

In what year is the book set? It may be a time before Curtain,thus negating the need for Poirot to be resurrected??

Are any of the regular characters in the book,or is there a lot of detail we do not know yet??
    Sophie Hannah speaks of choosing the Golden Era for this particular novel (1930-1940) - as she already had the plot but it wouldn't work with a contemporary set. Watch video here: http://www.agathachristie.com/

"The Monogram Murders will be told from the perspective of a new character - a policeman - who knows Poirot and asks for his involvement in the case."-read more here:
    It doesn't matter when the book is set The fact that Agatha Christie killed off Hercule Poirot and didn't want others to resurrect him negates the rights for anyone to write a book for Publication with him in t, Fan Fiction s fne as that is not for publication and purchase in Shops.
  • This is going to be tough for me; I'm a purist and do not want to read a Poirot story not penned by AC, but it sounds so good!
  • SunsetsSunsets Philippines
    I'm not very enthusiastic about this book, if AC killed then dead it is. It's her character and it is very unfair to me that another author should write another book about a character that has been killed off. It just makes me feel so angry!
  • That's very fair of you, @Max Mallowan, and since you can get the book from your library - that's great. Part of my problem, is that I don't want to help support (i.e. spend money) on a product that I'm not sure ought to be supported! I'm sure there are others that feel this way. On the other hand, yes - it might be a great book, worthy of being written and endorsed by the AC Estate. So you have made, I think, the right choice -taking it from the library!
    Waiting to see what you think of it... (my library doesn't carry it - not much of an English section)
    I can totally understand your stance Shifra, and I agree with you but If you don't read it you can criticize the Project like I do but not the actual book, and who knows The Novellist might then do the same with a Character Agatha Christie didn't Kill off which would in my view be good (orry my type just went odd.
  • @Tommy_A_Jones, "might then do the same"  - what? I didn't understand. I'm guessing you mean that she might use an additional AC character in her book (not just Poirot), but I might not have understood you right.
    If I did understand you correctly... then you'd like her to do that? Well, I might not mind that, provided the author was an exceptionally good writer, who either really made you feel like you were reading AC, or was just so good you simply didn't care - on condition of course that it was a character I'd wish to see in another novel. Some are so obnoxious! Which might be a good idea for a thread - AC characters I couldn't stand (if there isn't one already). 

Sorry Shifra that was my faul for not making myself more clearer, what I meant was if the book is well received she might write one with Battle as the main Detective or Inspector Narracott (The Sittaford Mystery or Miss Marple or Tommy and Tuppence or any Detectve which she didn't kill off which I would like as that is my Gripe wit using Poirot she killed him not only that the reason was she didn't want anyone else to write for him,  would be over the moon to read another Book with Battle or Lady Derwent and Bobby or Bundle Brent but not a Character she killed of so not Poirot and Not Mr Quin (Who I don't like anyway.

I think your idea of abnoxious Characters is a Great one and I don't think there s one at the moment, I would put Miss Knight top followed along way down by erybody in Endless Night and Passenger To Frankfurt and Death Comes As The End and apart from Race who I like in Death On The Nile everybody in Sparkling Cyanide and then Roddy Welman and then the Victim in Sad Cyprus and Then Mr Quin and Mr Satterthwaitte   

I have just tweeted Hannah saying she should have picked a Sleuth AC didn't kill
  • RinRin Hong Kong, China
    I have very complicated feelings on this, but mostly I agree with @Tommy_A_Jones. Actually I would really love to see a Parker Pyne story instead of a new Poirot one. Agatha Christie has killed her own character and it is just weird to see Poirot coming back.
    When I watched The "Marple" series with the ones that shouldn't have Miss Marple and a lot of the others I thought the best way of thinking about it as by imagining it isn't Miss Marple but another Elderly lady with a different name, perhaps that is the best way to think of This new book or you could just treat it as Fan Fiction, I am sure either way would work and after all no-one can tell you how to react or treat something, one's feelings are personal to them.
    After seeing the Piece the writer did on the site about the book I can't help wondering why she didn't just create another Detective if she had had this idea n her head for a long time which didn't suit her contemporary style and if she realised the book should have a Period setting 
    She obviously has taken into consideration the possiblilty f it being a flop and what it could do to her career, if she hasn't that is her own fault isn't it?, thinking about it when an established writer s given the task of writing a book with a known Character it is a bit like Eurovision when Famous acts are given the task of representing GB
  • Excellent I look forward to reading Sophie Hannah new novel in September 2014.
  • DarylDaryl Caerphilly, United Kingdom
    How fantastic! It will be great to compare both Sophie and Agatha's writing style and see how similar they are!
    Cover artwork revealed for The Monogram Murders - watch the book trailer: http://www.agathachristie.com/the-monogram-murders/
  • dvc61dvc61 South Australia, Australia
    Disappointed. Christie put a lot into the character. Appears to be a cash grab knowing a lot of fans will buy it. Would love someone to have the guts to explain why they are doing this. Love Christies writing and her characters . This won't be a patch on the original, won't be buying it.
    dvc61 said:
    Would love someone to have the guts to explain why they are doing this.
    Mathew Prichard, Agatha Christie's grandson, has spoken publicly about the reasons behind the book. One such radio interview is available here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/0/23956266

I have just heard the Radio Interview and I am not convinced by their sincerity, I think to respond to your post dvc61 It is incredibly rare for people to be brave enough to explain stupid Idea if It wasn't rare every Change in the Marple Series would have been explained why ITV put Miss Marple in books she shouldn't be in would have been explained, I can think of other ways the Christie Brand could have been kept in the Nations Consciousness with out the decisions of the last few years being taken, I will buy it and read it just out of Curiosity but I really wish a Different Sleuth had been chosen that is the one thing which really offends me, if it was a different Christie sleuth I would be Grinning from ear to ear from the moment I herd the idea until the moment I had stopped recollections of reading the book but as it happens I am saddened and annoyed.
  • edited June 2014
    I wonder if Agatha would have been ok with this new novel...?
    Probably not, she killed Hercule off for a reason, so no-one else will write for him
  • I agree with you. it is sad...