Who according to you should have been the murderer apart from the original culprit?

There were 10 people invited by a mysterious UN OWEN in an isolated island. And then one by one each of them were being murdered....who was killing them? 

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Rodgers, It would have been quite fun if The Butler Dunnit
  • The whole story is about justice, so there is no other character that it sholud be.
  • Emily Brent - her religious views could have her doing "justice for God."  
    That is a Good point Jennifer, Miss Quin, you shouldn't be a wet blanket and play along or else not comment on this thread IMHO
  • The story just took me to another world,i meant i was living with those 10 in the hotel....reading the actions of the vera claythorne kepy me guessing that it has to be her!

Most of the stories take me away and I imagine I am with the Characters, that is why I like Agatha Christie's books so much, I imagine I am in a Village or Country House or in the case of \Evil Under The Sun an Island, I only don't get that feeling with a small few, I kept on imagining Broad Hinny was Painswick when I was last reading Mrs McGinty's Dead and on my friends Farm/Estate in Purton when reading 4.50 From Paddington
    Watched The Richard Attenborough, Oliver Reed, Herbert Lom, Gert Frobe, Elke Sommer, Charles Aznavour version on Saturday, Likeds it.
  • Emily Brent. She was so self righteous and convinced of her own piety.

I felt she could kill people who she felt fell below her standard of righteousness.

I think she would feel she was doing The Lord's Work and bringing about Justice which hasn't been served
  • Miss Brent.  Or she and the Judge could have been girl- and boyfriend and done it together.  Imagine the sex scenes with Judith Anderson and Barry Fitzgerald!
  • I was betting on the judge since the start.
    The doc seemed pretty suspicious too.
    But, somebody besides the true culprit...VERA!
    The b**h let a kid drown. Because she wanted to. I EXPECT NO LESS OF HER.
    But really now, it would had been pretty funny if the butler would had been the culprit XD
  • I saw this done once with an alternative ending: two of the group were left last, but they fell in love with eachother and so trusted one another. They managed to trick the judge, who'd been in hiding all along, kill him, and make it off the island.
  • personally i didn't want it to be veera neither lompard ... anyone else yeah but it could be Emily she was just you know the possible killer because of her thoughts
  • edited May 2014

I imagine Mr. Blore as being the culprit. He was a police inspector with the skills and resources to do background checks on everyone at the dinner party. He originally lied about his identity to all the guests as being Mr. Davis, but ousted himself after the record was played with the voice. Perhaps this was to throw the others off his scent and to keep them guessing.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• BlueMoonBlueMoon Mandaue, Philippines
    I think it would be great if the killer was someone who they had all mistreated badly and so the guy, or girl, wanted revenge on them 

• I have to admit it would be so incredibly fun to see Phillip Lombard do it because it is virtually impossible for him to have done it. How could he have killed Blore and been on the beach at the same time? It would have been fascinating to see how Christie answers that question.

Was Lombard the First Victim, It would have been great if the first Victim had done it or the 1st Victim with the assistanceof \Mrs Rogers who was under his spell as she loved him and would do anything he said

• CaptainHastingsCaptainHastings Illinois, United States
    SPOILERS

I recently re-read this wonderful book (or rather listened to it on CD) and I thought along these very lines as I did so.  I, of course, knew who the murderer was, but I tried to read it 'fresh,' to see who else Dame Christie might lead me to believe was the culprit. I have to agree with so many of you ... Emily Brent.  The theme of meting out justice is apparent, and, yes, the judge becomes an obvious suspect.  But Emily Brent is arguably more judgmental than the judge, himself.  And, yes, I could see her following through with a plan of this kind in pursuit of doing justice in aid of the Lord.  The judge did it in pursuit of aiding the law where the law fell short.  Very similar motives, very similar characters. 

Also she was so unflinchingly unafraid.  Walking down the beach in the early morning hours, sitting alone in drawing rooms.  The others were right to suspect her until she was done in.  And the funny thing is - in terms of 'fake death,' the method employed to kill her would be far easier to use as a ploy.  The hypodermic needle.  She could have injected herself with a drug that lends the appearance of death but in reality only slows the heart and puts the individual to sleep.  She would be carried to her room and 'wake up,' several hours later.  She might not even have to entreat the doctor or anyone else to go in cahoots with her.  She could simply hide the syringe before she passes out.  She could even hide it on her person.  It seems sordid and unlikely anyone (including the doctor) would search her.

Another thing I found interesting: You remember in the epilogue, the judge justifies the off-island murder of Isaac Morris, the nepharious solicitor who dealt in the drug trade by stating that a 21 year old daughter of friends of his got hooked on drugs that he trafficked and then took her own life?  I was thinking - if that were Miss Brent's friends' daughter she would have blamed her for the underlying addiction and then considered the suicide a double sin.  Think back to how she treated Beatrice Taylor.  For some reason, I could see Isaac Morris being the last person Emily Brant would hold responsible.