The Monogram Murders - New Poirot Book Title

A great title for a novel and one which we can start to image what the plot will be. However, I'm a little disappointed with the apparent lack of enthusiasm shown by Sophie Hannah in the short video. Perhaps the excitement will come later!

Comments

• Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    ...or perhaps she was just relieved to have finished her work :)
    Yes, I also think it is a very good choice for a title... I wonder if she chose it by herself or it was a co-production 
    ;;)
  • ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    What is the point of writing novel that only Agatha Christie could write, it will never feel the same.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I quite agree ianthepoet
  • Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK

I accept that Agatha Christie wrote Curtain as the final story for Poirot, but we were introduced to two 'new' stories from the Notebooks, and I have yet to hear a complaint from anyone. However, it should be said that one of the two stories was totally new, whilst the other was a variation of another, they fit it with our current knowledge of Poirot as we know him. We will have to see if the phrase 'little grey cells' reads well in the story line!

I was considering the definition of a monagram: 
    "A design composed of one or more letters, typically the initials of a name, used as an identifying mark."
    Will the monogram be that of the murderer or his victims?
  • DeanDean United Kingdom
    It sounds good but it sounds a bit like the ABC murders.
    Now we have the new cover(s) for the book are there any new insights that can be drawn from them. If Tom Adams had created them I am sure we would be given some clues. A great little video to introduce the new covers. Well done Agatha Christie Ltd. 

• A great introduction to The Monogram Murders. Perhaps a strange location to find Poirot. Did he mix up some of his French (Belgian) words? The chapter has certainly made me want to read more. I will be reading my copy early on Monday 9th September, before attending the Agatha Christie Festival the following week. Hopefully meeting Sophie Hannah and learning more about her approach to writing the story.
    Prior to reading the first chapter of The Monogram Murders my only taste of Sophie Hannah's work had been through her advice on The Denouement for the Write Your Own Christie Competition. Her advice was written in a clear and well organized manner.
    I had the same clean-cut feeling after reading the beginning chapter of The Monogram Murders last night. Seems to be having a well organized plot. Would have made Poirot himself happy! 
    ;;)
    Well, I'll have to see if I was correct in my assumption.

@ Dr.Sheppard Indeed, I also found it to be a strange location for Poirot himself; a bit shabby maybe? Perhaps Sophie Hannah wanted to take the old boy out of his own habits?
    I have the feeling it's been written as a stand-alone novel. One does not has to be familiar with the work of Agatha Christie in order to understand and enjoy this novel.
  • It's sad to say that there are a lot of unhappy people on Twitter that are not happy about a new Poirot story. Having known about it for a year, I wonder where they have been, or perhaps the promotion has been that good. Looking forward to Tuesday to read more than the first chapter. Although I understand that in some countries it has already been released as (again on Twitter) individuals are discussing the story. 
    Perhaps they are also on this site and jus want another outlet for their anger, after all, on there they can contact the Author.
    It's sad to say that there are a lot of unhappy people on Twitter that are not happy about a new Poirot story. Having known about it for a year, I wonder where they have been, or perhaps the promotion has been that good. Looking forward to Tuesday to read more than the first chapter. Although I understand that in some countries it has already been released as (again on Twitter) individuals are discussing the story. 
    Perhaps they are discussing the first chapter? http://www.agathachristie.com/the-monogram-murders/first-chapter/

• The photograph location and their hands on the book suggest they they were at home when the phto was taken.
    What is the point of writing novel that only Agatha Christie could write, it will never feel the same.
    I've bitten the bullet and bought a copy today, I'll let you know what I think.
  • I am sorry but I cannot accept this new book Monogram Murders.  It steams me to no end.  I think Matthew Pritchard has sold out his grandmother for money.  I read this book and it is a load of crap. If she had to write a book, why not invent her own character and not try to get famous by latching on to Agatha Christis's apron strings, so to speak.  I can only hope that the public will not accept this so called book and use the pages to light fires in the fireplace.

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I can't agree more, alice.garder.3.  I don't think AC would like some taking advange of her name and fame to write books about a character already dead by herselsef exactly not to have more stories after her own death. Soon, we will see a new Marple book. What a shame!
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    I have to agree with tudes.  This can open the door to so many things.  Sometimes things are best left alone.
  • Having received my copy of the book a day late I have at last finished reading The Monogram Murders. It's a good story, a little too contrived near the end. Edward Catchpool does not come out of it too well, and Poirot, I'm not sure if he is 'our' Poirot. I'm looking forward to listening to Sophie Hannah discuss the novel at the Agatha Christie Festival in Torquay next week. Perhaps I can add further comments in a few days time.
    Having received my copy of the book a day late I have at last finished reading The Monogram Murders. It's a good story, a little too contrived near the end. Edward Catchpool does not come out of it too well, and Poirot, I'm not sure if he is 'our' Poirot. I'm looking forward to listening to Sophie Hannah discuss the novel at the Agatha Christie Festival in Torquay next week. Perhaps I can add further comments in a few days time.
    That would be interesting to find out - especially for those of us not attending the Festival
    :(
    Please let us know!
  • You can follow my Agatha Christie Festival comments on Twitter. I hope to post regularly. But I will be back here.
  • I agree with @alice.gardner.3 and @tudes ! Shame on you Mr Pritchard! Though she's a good crime writer, Ms Hannah should create her own characters. 
  • The Agatha Christie Festival kicked off with the public launch of The Monogram Murders. if you want to know more see a post called The Agatha Christie Festival.
  • Watched the Google video of Sophie Hannah being interviewed and found some of her answers to questions a mystery??? Obviously it was great to be approached to do the job but I was left with the feeling that even she feels it is not a "real" Poirot story and fans are yet to confirm that.

At least the sales of Christie books perked up so some good was achieved.

Is The Inspector's name really Catchpool or was that a mistake which is easily done, If his name really is Catchpool, at Least Hannah could have given the Inspector a proper nme not one which sounds like it was in a Sppof Novel, Catchpole would have been much better.
  • In the interview Sophie said she found the name on a grave stone in her local cemetery.

That is O.K. Then.
    I'm giving The Monogram Murders a chance, before we write it off. Let us give Sophie Hannah a chance as well, at least she got permission before publishing it.
    If she hadn't got permission the book wouldn't exist, I still don't think those who gave her permission had a Right to, Only Agatha Christie has that right Considering she Killed Poirot off, If she hadn't I wouldn't have a problem with the book.
  • When writers are looking for a name for a character they usually use a single letter or two initials until they feel they have arrived at a suitable name - this was typical of Agatha Christie (Seen Notebooks). Some will then open up a road map and select names from places in an area where the book opens. Sophie decided that for The Monogram Murders she liked a name that she saw at a cemetery in Cambridge, when walking her dog and soon found a list of names for other characters. 
    In the Monogram Murders Edward Catchpool is not given a police rank, all we know is that he works for Scotland Yard. For me this causes a slight problem as a constant repeat of his name grates a bit, whereas the occasional use of the word 'Inspector' or 'Detective' might have made better reading.