The Monogram Murders - New Poirot Mystery

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    It would bug me too Agathasmykid
  • Well, I gave in and bought it out of curiosity.

I have read two chapters and it is OK. The murders are very intriguing, but it does not feel like an Agatha Christie book. it feels like a modern author writing about Poirot, which is exactly what it is.

• Unfortunately, I slogged all the way through the Monogram Murders.  I didn`t want to.  I read two chapters and thought it was too wordy and not really all that good.  I have this rule, however, that before I comment on a book I must read it all the way through.  Sad to say, I`ve done that.  Moreover, I had very low expectations for this and I find that the author strove hard to live down to every one of them.

I`m not a Christie purist.  I thought it would be fun to have a new Poirot novel. This was not it.  It was a Susan Hannah novel vaguely about some guy named Poirot.  

I won't be looking out for the next one and I won't bother reading it if someone happens to lend me a copy.  I don't know whose idea this was, but it was a boring disaster.
    We are supposed to believe that The Estate and Hannah had the idea at the same time which is not possible, Is there likely to be another one?, It seems to me the powers that be are determined to ruin Agatha Christie's work for the Fans of The Books and perhaps especially anyone who has had the Cheek to criicise anything the Estate has allowed to happen of recent years especially the ITV series of MARPLE and they are perhaps sore that they  couldn't destroy her reputation because when the started to do absurd things the Poirot series had been up and running for a while, Well, That is how I see things anyway. Well done harringm for finishing it.

• Joepetz999Joepetz999 New Jersey, United States
    All in all, I felt this book was a good try at a Poirot story.  I didn't really get that "mystery feel" and I can't really picture Poirot in a café so often.  If this had been a new detective, an original creation, it would have been much better.
  • I finished the new book last night.  I have read all of Christie's Poirot and Marple mysteries, to present my bona fides.  Like so many I was at first put off and wondered how anyone could dare to author a Poirot book.  The very idea.  I read it with a certain degree of caution but half way through I found myself forgetting that it was a sophie hannah book and started enjoying the mystery.  Are their differences in Poirot?  Yes, for there can never be another Agatha Christie.  The issue is do we allow our prejudices to  keep us from enjoying a very good novel.  I was glad to see Poirot in a new case and as a fan I did not have major problems with the differences of the two characters as presented.
      I believe that David Suchett was the greatest Poirot on screen but I also enjoyed Peter Ustinov and could live with Albert Finney for his one movie.  I support the Estate in giving us more of Poirot stories and even Miss Marple.  Next time, could they bring back Hastings and even Japp?
    I would totally support The Estate in bringing back Miss Marple as Agatha Christie didn't kill her off.
  • shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname
    So another writer attempting a go at a character created by AC is not a problem with you Tommy, as long as the chaarcter was not killed off by AC herself?  
    CORRECT! It has been done before with James Bond and Sherlock Holmes and Bertie Wooster, neither of whomne were killed off by Flemmyng, Conan Doyle and Wodehouse and they weren't killed off, I have always said I have n problem with People Writing Books with Christie Characters who Christie didn't kill off, I would love toread another Bundle Brent, another Battle Book, another T&T Book and another Miss Marple book but not a Poirot Book as she killed him off and SHE is the only one who should be allowed to resurrect him and as she is not here it shouldn't happen
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    phil.marklin, with all do respect, I don't think it is an issue of prejudice in this case.  Rather the marketing (for example having Christie's name on the front in really big letters), and the notion of taking liberties with a character the author herself provided a pretty clear ending for.
  • I see the powers-that-be are still pushing this travesty of a book not written by Agatha Christie.  Let's hope the release of the paperback won't mean yet another year of aggressive PR, particularly on the Facebook page.

May one ask how many copies of The Monogram Murders have been sold to date?

• I see the powers-that-be are still pushing this travesty of a book not written by Agatha Christie.  Let's hope the release of the paperback won't mean yet another year of aggressive PR, particularly on the Facebook page.

May one ask how many copies of The Monogram Murders have been sold to date?

I heard another Poirot book by Sophie Hannah is in the works and this time it will have Poirot solving a case in India.
  • edited June 2015

I heard another Poirot book by Sophie Hannah is in the works and this time it will have Poirot solving a case in India.

Thank you.  That is very sad news to me.  However in my opinion it won't have Poirot doing anything, because Ms Hannah's character isn't Poirot.  He's just called Poirot.  Big difference.   

I'll reiterate my question:  May one ask how many copies of The Monogram Murders have been sold to date?

• Tommy A Jones, I agree with all your preferences and dislikes regarding characters throughout the novels.

What is it about Mr Satterthwaite? I wonder how AC intended him to come across ? By the by, as a character,  he is rather similar in construction, is he not, to Mr Pye in The Moving Finger.
    I presume Mr Satterthwaitte was supposed to be a man of means who now without the need to work can spend his time and money travelling and having adventures, I have realised this Character I have had in my head is not a million miles from Mr Satterthwaitte but of course there are differences.
  • In my opinion, if we are to have more Poirot adventures, it might be more effective for them to be written directly for the screen - probably the small screen: with no attempt to do the novels. I fancy that it might be easier to satisfy the fans by going this route for the following reasons:

The screen dramas we have had to date have been adaptations of the books, not the actual words of AC herself. These are dramatisations devised by mere writing mortals. To copy them and follow the mood, and pace and feel would be easy enough, and a darn sight easier than emulating a genius like AC. Why not do what some of us have thought would be good, and just right a sequel adventure to an existing AC story.

I genuinely feel that it will be impossible to create the prose, nuance dialogue and approach to denouement that the unsurpassed AC achieved. I feel that try might lead to disappointment. Let's face it, AC has sold more books than any other novelist, I think I am right in saying, that is apart from William Shakespeare. She has an unbelievable mind - can anyone step into her shoes?

I feel, personally, that the person to advise on how to manage and improvise the dialogue of Poirot would be the great David Suchet himself. He could probably express Poirot phrases without even thinking about them. He could probably help to write the screen play and plot for a new adventure. And the actor who played Hastings. I would be happiest if these two, and she who played Miss Lemon just improvised a bit with some left over details from an existing story, and tied up some loose ends to create a new drama.  

Or maybe, writing a new mystery is just too hard. Perhaps have some dramas where the three of them talk about some of their best-remembered adventures. 

I don't know if David Suchet would act in any dramas in future, but he might agree to advise, and would have a feel for how Poirot would move, and how he would deliver a line.

I agree Grizelda, I get the impresion that that is what is going to happen with the Beresfords as I think David Walliams said they were 'Imaginings' which and I think that is a good thing, although I wouldn't like to see it done as Agatha Christie Killed of Poirot It would be slightly less unexeptable if the stories instead of being in Book form were for Television, Suchet has said he wouldn't play Poirot in anything not written by Agatha Christie and I hope he sticks to it which means getting someone else, Ian Holm.Anthony Scher, Timothy West or Andrew Sachs maybe.
  • Oh really, Tommy, David Suchet has ruled out playing Poirot in anything by a new author. I admire his principles.

I suppose if it is a new creation, the authors could make him a bit younger. However, he was retired from the force, I believe, even in the early stories, so he would always be at least middle aged.

What about Alan Rickman?

Perhaps I am being unfair, but I suspect that Timothy West might ham it up a bit too much. I think I'll look through the cast list of previous Agatha Christie adaptations to see if I can see an actor playing a different role who might do a period mystery drama well.

Do you really mean Alan Rickman Griselda? I know Sir Alec Guinness one first or 2nd choice to play Poirot in MOTOE and Rickman is the same height I thank as Guinness was but surely he would be a better Hastings as he is the right build?
  • Alan Rickman has an intensely thoughtful, reflective manner - and I think Poirot ought be represented as having a rather secretive, knowing  way about him. I can't think of many actors who have that intelligent knowing air - but then, Tommy, I don't know as many actors as you do. I shall have to think further.
    It would anoy me if Alan Rickman played Poirot as he is the totally wrong shape, which was one of the problems with Alfred Molina
  • Couldn't he wear prostheses on his head? There must be someone better, but I can't think who. There is going to be a lot of close up work camera on the face, so it will have to be someone who can truly act, and suggest double bluff, and be inscrutable but still showing passion when necessary. 
    He could wear prostetics on his head yes Griselda but what he couldn't do is shorten his legs for Filming and then pull them back on a Rack to continue his Career, he is too tall, there is an Actor who played a Shop owner in Death Of A Hollow Man who would be right, BTW I mean the Midsommer Murders Episode, he played a Foreigner in New Tricks.
  • Fair point, Tommy. I will look at that Shop owner in Death of a Hollow Man, and hope he is a good actor.
    He is, He has the right Height, and he looks like a Hairf=dresser which is what Poirot was always being accused of, Did I also suggest In Holm?
  • Yes, you did mention Ian Holm. I will look at his work. Do you think he would be interested?
    He played HP in a Made for TV about HP going to ask AC why She killed him off, I think I heard he was upset not to be asked to take the role when DS got it but I might be wrong about him being upset but he was very good and looked like HP.
  • I would like to think that the guardians of the Estate read these admirer blogs and perhaps take on board suggestions and recommend certain actors to the production team who are seeking  the Estate's permission to create a new dramatisation. If  you have seen Ian Holm and feel he would be suitable, I hope the powers that be are considering it too. Time is of the essence. It would be good to get someone good on board, and for BBC or ITV to plan an entire series of  new episodes with such an actor in mind - whilst he is willing. I feel that all would agree that unless you get the portrayal of HP exactly right, the drama is nothing. I read the novels again and again for him, his intellect, his humanity and his moral compass.
    The Actor I mean who was in Death Of A Hollow man is Nicholas Woodison
  • I had a look at a little clip of him talking - along with other actors - about Rocket to the Moon, a play he was in, and he looks the part. As HP, he would have to do those subtle movements of intellectual and nervous energy,  and inscruability, and that sense of a foreigner slightly apart, which David Suchet does so well. I wouldn't want him bombasting about like Peter Ustinov - I think, in Death On The Nile.