Bridge

Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest a Book I could read and use to teach myself Bridge Please?

Comments

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I don't know any book, but I think it's possible to find on line a site that teaches you to play bridge.
  • Call your local Community College. Most all have a catalog of "Adult Continuing Education." Every semester offers classes such as Bridge, Pinochle. Also there is classes in golf, swimming, These catalogs are packed with How-Tos. Some classes are just 1 evening, some 1 weekend, or 6-8 weeks, all being in the evening or weekend (for adults). Classes cost anywhere from $12 to around $40 depending on how many time the class meets.

Anyone can watch a YouTube video on a "how to" but there is nothing like having your hands actually in wallpaper paste when you want to learn how to wallpaper in 1 evening for around $12. In your case, it would be handling the playing cards in a group with other learners.
    Good luck on your quest!
  • I would suggest the following books:
    • Bid Better, Play Better by, Dorothy Hayden Truscott [For modern bidding techniques]
    • 5 Weeks to Winning Bridge by Alfred Sheinwold (This is a fun read, but is definitely dated [no one uses some of the techniques he describes anymore, but it probably better reflects some of the strategies Christie's characters would have employed] - some bridge players who are much stronger players than I am still consider it a classic)

My personal favorite is Carol Galbraith's Quick Reference Bridge Basics Outline. Once you learn the basic rules, Galbraith's book is an invaluable guide for beginners because it gives solid, easily accessible advice for how to bid your hand (by far, the most complex part of the game). Even for more advanced players, it has notes on some rarer types of hands that will enable you to bid perfectly in those tricky situations. If you are interested in this book, you would probably have to order it from this website: www,bridgebasicsoutline.com

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Thank you.
  • Don't know about the bridge, but while reading "Murder of Roger Ackroyde" I was very enthusiastic about learning Mah jong.
    Someone put that on my Computer for me, It's like Pairs isn't it if I remember rightly.
  • Someone put that on my Computer for me, It's like Pairs isn't it if I remember rightly.
    I also have it on my computer like pairs, but the game that the characters play in the book has totally different rules.
    I will make a point of noticing next time I read it.