The Monogram Murders - New Poirot Mystery

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Who you on about Holm or Woodison?
  • Woodison.
    Thought so, he also looks like a Hair Dresser.
  • I don't think that the Agatha Christie Estate should rush to find another Poirot since David Suchet recently finished the series. I think the estate should focus on working on the books that didn't feature Poirot and Miss Marple and focus on making faithful productions out of that. But the way that the estate has been doing on their recent films I am a bit leery.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    edited June 2015
    Wise words, @ChristieFanForLife. Not only your suggestion about the focus on the stories that don't feature Poirot  neither Miss Marple but also about your opinion about the way the estate has been doing on the films.
    I'm very disappointed by the quality of some dramatisations and by allowing someone to write a Poirot's book. And I'm not talking about the quality of the writter. She can be a very good one, but only A.C could write a Poirot's book. It's her creation and she killed him (exactly not to anyone writing about her character).
    As Tudes says Wise words ChristieFanForLife but I don't think what you are suggesting is going to happen because of Financial Reasons people won't back what they don't think will be a Hit, people Know Poirot and Miss Marple if only by name so they aren#t as likely to put money in an Adaptation of a Character no-one has heard of, these days they are more likely to Finance a Gritty Thriller or a Period Original Thing like The Bletchley Circle or Foyles War than they will a Dramatisation featuring Victoria Jones or Narracott also ITV has ruined it for people in the future by putting Miss Marple in some so people aren't going to put on another Adaptation of The Sittaford Mystery or Ordeal By Innocence in a Hurry are they
  • @Tommy: they should do something like what was done in the '80s with The Agatha Christie Hour. I mean they could revive that title back and make some great 2 hour productions of non-Poirot and Miss Marple stories. By using the title other people will know that the films are from her books.The only thing is the stories would not be an hour (hence the title) and by using that title they better make some good, faithful adaptations since it would it bear her name.
    They Could call it Agatha Christie Mysteries like they did with Ruth Rendell's Barbara Vine Stories, They could do all the Non Poirot or Miss Marple stories but not the Beresford ones either.
  • JustinCJustinC Staffordshire, United Kingdom
    I have recently finished The Monogram Murders and was keen to make a comment asap. I was interested to read the related views on this site.

I have been reading Agatha Christie's novels since I was in my early teens, read them all voraciously and have waited with eagerness for tv adaptations to come and go over the years. Even so, I acknowledge that I am not a Mastermind level expert on the life and works of Miss Christie. 

However, humble as my opinion is, I wanted to say that I LOVED The Monogram Murders and think that Sophie Hannah made an excellent job. I was transported back in time in the way that Christie novels were always able to do and felt that I recognised the character of Poirot instantly. I for one hope that another new novel is released and that Sophie Hannah writes it. I will look forward to it with genuine eagerness. 

I know that die hard Christie fans will baulk at novels "pretending" to be written by Christie and will see flaws every time they turn the page - but for the less discerning reader, who enjoys the genre and the tone and mood of Agatha Christie's work, this is an excellent read. Thank you to all concerned for bring it to fruition. I was grateful to enjoy a quality read full of tension, twists and turns.
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    In as much as i detested The Monogram Murders for many reasons JustinC  it is still good to see another's point of view.And that fact that we can all freely air our own opinions,is a credit to this forum and i am glad that you enjoyed it.....However....I most definitely will NOT be reading any more if written !!!!
  • If it's not written by A.C, I fail to see the point to write a Poirot's story, except for money. I refuse to read it. 
    I agree with you Theodora
  • To be fair, a television adaptation is an interpretation capturing mood and genre, with the addition of an exciting plot, and yet we all applauded the Poirot series, and didn't say that it defiled the purity of the true readerly Christie experience. I know Sophie Hannah's books are newly devised, so not quite the same as a tv version of an original, but, all the same, if people like Miss Hannah's work, isn't it better for others to say each to his own, and celebrate different opinions? If a reader likes Sophie Hannah's attempt, and sincerely feels transported to those times, then they should be allowed to enjoy the read, because reading is really all to do with pleasure.
    To be fair a lot of Adaptations of Agatha Christie books in recent years has not done that.
    ChristieFan ForLife, I have just seen your post and I totally agree with you 100% The Agatha Christie Hour or something like it should be brought back.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    To be fair a lot of Adaptations of Agatha Christie books in recent years has not done that.
    I agree, @Tommy_A_Jones.
    @Griselda, I think when someone says she/he will not read it, she/he is only expressing her/his opinon and not criticize the others. If someone says that she/he enjoyed the book, it's her/his opinion. Nobody is saying nothing about the others, if someone should or shouldn't read it , but only about herself/himself.
    As far as I understood the post, it's a critique to the writer and to A.C 's heirs. Not to the readers.

I thought that is what we were doing Griselda, If you applaud what Sophie Hannah did and it transports you back to that time you are entitled to say that but by the same token if you disapprove of her Doing it, disapprove of Matthew Pritchard allowing her to do it and if you have read it the book and dislike it you should be able to say that too, if you think that you are being criticised for applauding the idea and for liking the book or think you are being criticised for hating the Idea and the book perhaps a Forum of any king is not for you.

• You are absolutely right Tommy, it is all a matter of opinion, and absolutely, any forum member expressing reservations about follow up books by other authors is only directing objections towards the author, and certainly not other readers. I didn't express my point at all well, on reflection. What I meant to get across was that some readers are going to want a new read. Sometimes it is nice to re read, but you won't then get the thrill of guessing who did it. I suppose, too, we ought to admit that just because Sophie Hannah's first book didn't quite do it, doesn't mean that she won't get better at emulating the style with practice, and second and third books might be more interesting. It looks like these new kind of Poirot books will be written in future, so as the scheme is here to stay, I am at least glad that some readers are gaining much pleasure from them.
  • AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada
    True enough, we can all have our own opinion. This reminds me of the James Bond dispute — I can't stand Daniel Craig in the role, and refuse to watch those movies. But millions of filmgoers have the completely opposite opinion, which is fine with me.

As far as the Monogram Murders goes, the mystery was interesting, and I personally don't feel it is a slight on AC; but to me, it wasn't a Poirot story, which typically involves a small group of people, one of whom bumped off one the others. This had quite a different tone, more like Peter Whimsy combined with Sherlock Holmes as written by Anthony Horowitz. One major difference between MM and any book that AC wrote is quite simply that I had no desire to read MM a second time. But I'll likely read the next one in the series when it comes. 

I can't understand why anyone would want another Poirot book let alone read one because Agatha Christie killed him off and so the only possible reason to write another is to use him as a Cash Cow and why a True Fan of Agatha Christie would want to encourage That is beyond my Comprehension.

With Bond it is a different matter, perhaps because the only Bond Film I have sat through from start to finish is the George Lazenby one and partly because I just think of the name James Bond As A Code-name.I have never read one of The Books by Anthony Horowitz featuring Holmes but would because when Conan Doyle died Holmes hadn't been killed off.

I have read many Agatha Christie books over and over again and I get enjoyment from reading them again, with 2 Poirot Books I preferred them 2nd time round, I think it is like a picture, I sometimes get something new every time.

• I think we can never enjoy a writer doing Poirot as much as AC did, of course, but if there is a true spirit of homage motivating the modern day author then we can, in my opinion, at least commune with the modern day author and think, " Oh, I see, you're choosing to do it like that. I see why now." Personally, I prefer re reading Agatha Christie, but I did like the BBC sequel to Pride and Predjudice called Death Comes to Pemberley. It was different, but ok to while away a Christmas afternoon. It gave me pleasure and I gained some intellectual satisfaction from noting how the writers had presented Elizabeth's character. I commented before that I think tv re-dos are more satisfactory than books, because screen is different anyway, so your not disappointing the fan as much. Perhaps, Miss Hannah will be persuaded to do a tv story in future.
    Tamsin Greig was in something based on one of Miss Hannah's books
  • Oh, interesting. I'll look out for it.
    It was good.
  • faith.b.seltzerfaith.b.seltzer Maryland, United States
    edited September 2015
    I went right out and bought the book as soon as it was in the stores.. I was so disappointed! The writer changed Poirot's personality so much that I didn't recognize him at all.  Poirot would never not want people to know who he was!  As people get older they  want people to listen to them and to relive their old
    glories.  Poirot's personality was all wrong and the answer to the story was so obvious, not of Christie's quality in any way, shap or form.
  • faith.b.seltzerfaith.b.seltzer Maryland, United States
    Don't spend money on the book, it is certinally not of Christie's quality!
  • Missjasmin1Missjasmin1 California, United States
    This is going to be tough for me; I'm a purist and do not want to read a Poirot story not penned by AC, but it sounds so good!

• Missjasmin1Missjasmin1 California, United States
    Hello everyone,
    I am brand new to the website and excited to learn about all things A.C. I've read quite a few of her books, and my all-time favorite detective is Hercule Poirot--although following very close behind him is Miss Marple. I know that nothing lasts forever; however, I do miss not having David Suchet as H.P. anymore. I just can't help feeling disappointed. I am also a bit of a purist when it comes to reading a Hercule Poirot book not penned by A.C. But I'll just wait and see how things turn out. Who knows, it might be fantastic, and it's a great way to keep the character alive and going.

Nice to meet all of you.
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    Hi Missjasmin1.......The good thing about the books is that Poirot,Marple etc.. can last forever (or for as long as you care to read and re:read them !!! ).....I have never read Curtain (The last Poirot book)as it helps me keep him alive !!!!
    I personally did not like the Monogram Murders,but i am happy for everyone that did.
    Hope you enjoy the website....

Noone is forcing you to read the Book Miss Jasmine, I am not planning to