Best and Worst Miss Marple?

Comments

• Is that true Judi? Yes, that is a shame. I thought Julia McKenzie made quite a good Miss Marple...  oh well, we can only hope that whoever plays her next will be better. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I haven't read thst but as they have done all the Novels it makes sense
  • SELIchanSELIchan Aichi, Japan
    I really liked the Mirror Crack'd because it was not only my first Miss Marple, it was my first Agatha Christie
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I'm sorry @SELIchan, but I would never call The Mirror my favourite one. 
    While it very well-written and the characterization is fantastic, I find the book a bit depressing. The fact that Miss Marple is spot on at the beginning with all those dificulties of the age she seems to have. Also, the long description of the changing sorrounding makes me feel, like in no other of her books, that life itself starts to fade away. Not even Nemesis makes me feel this. For instancia, Colonel Bantry is dead, and her wife has sold the house. It reminds me of the times they were living there.
    One thing to note is that, while it has changed the owners, it's the same house in both books were murder shows up (here and Body in the Library).
    I like the book because it had Dolly Bantry and Craddock in it and It was set at St Mary Mead 
  • tacobelltacobell Virginia, United States
    My fav Miss Marple novels were The Body in the Library and Murder at the Vicarage. My least favorite is probably Nemesis.

I like all 3 you mentioned tacobell

• Although there is not a bad one in the bunch, Sleeping Murder is probably my favorite Miss Marple story. 

• I love The Body in the Library because I think it's such fun having the rector telling the story - he has such a unique point of view! And Dolly and Miss Marple are such chums... Also, it's really neat - suddenly discovering a dead body in your library, someone you don't know! In most books you don't get that; either the person themselves is killed or the detective comes to a location to solve a crime.
    My least favorite has got to be They do it with Mirrors - I just wasn't interested that much in those boys, and that whole set-up. Plus, I lreally prefer Miss Marple to be in a village where she sees or overhears things as she's gardening or bird-watching; not staying at a friend's house, dependent on their hospitality...
    I think you Mean Murder At The Vicarage, I don't think there is a Vicar in Body In The Library
  • Right, my mistake!
  • ginestraginestra Lombardia, Italy
    I liked nemesis  I mean the book because I bought the dvd as well but the acting was bad in may opinion  and the two nuns beyond good and evil..
    Watch the Hickson version, It is Much better
  • I liked Nemesis also, one of my favourite Miss Marple stories! I also liked: "By the pricking of my thumbs" and "The secret of Chimneys".
    I also watched Nemesis on DVD withe Geraldine McEwan and another Nemesis with Joan Hickson.
     I prefer the Hickson version too!
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I liked Nemesis also, one of my favourite Miss Marple stories! I also liked: "By the pricking of my thumbs" and "The secret of Chimneys".
    I also watched Nemesis on DVD withe Geraldine McEwan and another Nemesis with Joan Hickson.
     I prefer the Hickson version too!
    I suppose you're talking about the tv adaption!
    Because neither  "By the pricking of my thumbs" nor "The secret of Chimneys" are really Miss Marple. I mean, books that she's in. The first one is, in fact, a TT story.
  • TuppenceBeresfordTuppenceBeresford Hertford, United Kingdom

My favourite is probably A Murder is Announced - a really interesting mix of characters, a few secrets to be uncovered but not too many and a murderer who has many good qualities as well as the obvious bad ones. But The Body in the Library is also very clever and I love Dolly Bantry.

My least favourite is At Bertram's Hotel. I feel the story lacks an emotional heart somehow. I couldn't warm to Elvira, though I do have some sympathy for her, so it was difficult to care about what happened to any of them. Although the ITV adaption has far too many extra twists and turns added in, I did feel that the addition of the maid Jane gave me someone to root for.

• ginestraginestra Lombardia, Italy
    the worst...uhm ..I think the Mystery of the blue train. Nor did I like the dvd.
    I can see what you mean TuppenceBeresford, but I think you can say that about a few of the Books, Sparkling Cyanide, Death Comes As The End, Endless Night, Murder In Mesopotamia and The Big Four Come to Mind as well At Bertrams Hotel which I think is far better than The others I mentioned.
    When it comes to Miss Marple, I think Bertrams Hotel is by far the worst. I think it's slow and the ending is quite disappointed.
    I think that They Do It With Mirrors is far worse with although all books with Miss Marple are Brilliant and Caribbean Mystery is in my opinion just a bit better than They Do It With Mirrors.
    They do with mirrors is a bit boring and, at least in my opinion, it's not the worst because of the Bertrams Hotel.
    I like Caribbean Mystery. It's not the best Miss Marple, but I enjoyed it.
    But, I agree with you, all books with Miss Marple are excellent, although there are a few that are not so brilliant as the rest.
    I agree with that last bit, Most are Brilliant, some are just Very Good and 2 (In My Opinion) are just OK.
    I agree. There are two just Ok, some very good and most brilliant. Probably, we only disagree which one is the worst.
    You think the worst is At Bertram's Hotel but I think it is They Do It With Mirrors
    Yes
    Do you think 4.50 From Paddington, A Murder Is Announced and Sleeping Murder are the best 3?

edited May 2015
    4.50 from Paddington is my first one. A Murder is Announced takes the second place. But I have doubts about the third place. Slepping murders, The Moving fingers and Murder at the Vicarage are tied. I love them and I just can't decide! Sometimes, I think Slepping murders is the best of them; sometimes, The moving finger and sometimes, Murder at the vicarage. So, I'll put them all in third place.
    I have to say that the reason I  love so much Murder at theVicarage is kind of emotional one. It was my first miss Marple and, although I think The moving finger and Slepping Murder have a better plot and slepping murder has a striking ending, I'm very attached to Murder at the Vicarage.
    In First place I am tied 3 ways with A Murder Is Announced.4.50 From Paddington and Sleeping Murder, my reason for 4.50 From Paddington is an emotional one, It was the First Miss Marple I read, a neighbour who is no longer with us got 2 books from the Library, for me this one and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, I enjoyed this one so much, also I knew a Care Asssistant I went to her house sometimes amd her Posh Wedding and imagine Rutherford Hall being her Family House although it is in Wiltshire, also I love Carridge Trains and all 4 Adaptations, BBC version (Excellent Cast), ITV (One of the 4 ITV Adaptations I like), The Film with Margaret Rutherford and The Radio version with Ian Lavender who I have been lucky enough to meet and June Whitfield and Joan Sims
    It's such a beautiful story! 4.50 from Paddington brings you nice moments! It's so nice when it happens!
    I like The ITV version too. I haven't seen the others yet.
    And I like the PC game. 
    I don't think you will be disapointed by the other Adaptations although the name of the House is changed in the MR Film and a couple of Characters are absent in the ITV version and the Radio version is abridged which I think is a real shame, I haven't played the Game, I didn't realise there was one.