Best and Worst Miss Marple?

1235»

Comments

• My favourite Miss Marple story is the first: The Murder at the Vicarage. I think the later ones tend to be a little depressing, since Miss Marple is clearly very old. I think Nemesis is the worst, but that is not very bad, meaning that compared to the rest it is the poorest. I also really enjoyed 4:50 from Padinghton and The Mirror cracked from Side to Side 
  • I really want to read the murder at vicarage as my friend said it's funny .. @LukeMcLAren ...I also enjoyed 4.50 from paddington and it's one of my top 5 favourite christie ....

One thing makes me wonder why do people not like nemesis for me i enjoyed it though the mmurderer was abovious as the motive
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    It is very Good, I would even say excellent but I would also say The sleuths could be the Vicar ad Haydock instead of Miss Marple, Why when doing Adaptations The Vicar doesn't tell the story like he does in the book I don't know.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I like Murder at Vicarage also. I think it was my first Marple. I love the Vicar. He's funny. It's a great character and just like Bobby from Why Didn't they ask Evans and Bundle, I regret that A. C. didn't write more stories featuring them.
    4.50 from Paddington is marvelous!
    @maryalmabulushi, I like Nemesis, but it's far from being one of my favorites.
    I think Bunch is lovely, my 2nd favourite Miss Marple short story is I think Sanctuary which has Bunch and her husband, I prefer Bunch to Griselda I think but it is a tie between the 2 Vicars
  • Yes, Murder at the Vicarage is extraordinarily humorous in a subtle and dry register. So often authors plunge all their experiences and sensibilities into an early novel - or, for that matter, an early piece of music - perhaps because they are unsure if they will do the book well, and they want to write the characters really cleverly and artistically in order to be sure the work is a success. There is nothing crude or obvious in the telling, nothing schematic or by rote. What imagination has gone into this story, with its picture in the loft, etc. Also interesting to see Miss Marple around other ladies who are like her, and who therefore show us what type AC thinks she is; Miss Hartnell etc, help define Jane Marple, in a way, and the nephew, and how he sees her. Nowhere have I sensed such a strong feeling of the murderer SPOILER ALERT, being one of them, a friend, a sympathetic person, in a way. Tommy is right, what s great narrator.
  • I have yet to read "A Caribbean Mystery", "Nemesis" and "Sleeping Murder".

Best(so far): I'll have to read them again to decide between The Murder at the Vicarage, A Murder is Announced and The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side.

Worst: A Pocketful of Rye. It's not a bad novel(I have yet to read a bad novel with Miss Marple in it), but it left me cold, I didn't love anything about it when I re-read it a while ago. It was just... there.

Best is either A Murder is Announced, 4.50 From Paddington, Sleeping Murder, Nemesis, Murder At The Vicarage or Body In The Library, worst is most Definitely They Do It With Mirrors.
  • Best is either A Murder is Announced, 4.50 From Paddington, Sleeping Murder, Nemesis, Murder At The Vicarage or Body In The Library, worst is most Definitely They Do It With Mirrors.
    For once we almost agree! I think They do it with mirrors is the worst (though it definitely improved on rereading, but still not great), and my favourites are A murder is Announced, 4.50 from Paddington and Nemesis.
    I am glad we agree about A Murder Is Announced, 4.50 From Paddington and Nemesis but I don't find 'They Do It With Mirrors' improves with reading, I still find it just as dull but still read it as I love Miss Marple and there are only 12 Miss Marple Novels.
  • I am glad we agree about A Murder Is Announced, 4.50 From Paddington and Nemesis but I don't find 'They Do It With Mirrors' improves with reading, I still find it just as dull but still read it as I love Miss Marple and there are only 12 Miss Marple Novels.
    I agree it is dull. And Edgar's character isn't convincing, either as a paranoid or as an actor. For me the saving grace is the dialogue with Ruth at the beginning and Gina's letter at the end - both are very vivid writing.
    I liked Miss Marple obviously and The Policeman and The Victim.