My Own Quin?

SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom
I am thinking of writing my own Quin story, just to try and see how tough it is to be Christie! Should I go ahead?

Comments

• I think that you would enjoy writing a Mr Quin story. I had a go at writing a Miss Marple extract. I realized how Agatha Christie made writing look effortless, when in actual fact it's so hard! I thnik that fan fiction can give the writer a better insight into an author they admire.

Will you be printing it online? Will Mr Satterthwaite be part of the story?

Bizarrely enough, I have very different feelings towards published works using characters written by different people. Possibly because publishing sales taints it. 

:-$
  • SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom

I am going to include Mr Satterthwaite. I agree with the fact that she made it look effortless! It's so hard.:((~X(

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Good Luck Miss Quin, I used to try and write Murder Mysteries and it is hard, I wish you and SeaSnap luck, perhaps I will try with Miss Marple or Battle
    Thanks, I think we'll need it. Have a go Tommy_A_Jones, we could post them in separate forums and ask people how to improve.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    That's a Good Idea SeaSnap
    Posted my first paragraph! Please comment! :D
  • edited October 2013
    I'd like to read a little more and then I can work more out. Is the Harlequin Cottage next to Harlequin apartments? I just wondered about location. Would love to read more. 

Tommy Jones- I had written a short Miss Marple piece on the old forum. I will correct it, AC forum members were very kind about my story, but I felt it needs a little more to it. I might re post it at a later date as it's Seasnaps time. 

I imagine it along the road. I based it on my home town as there is a real Harlequin Apartments there! I always forget to describe.

• edited October 2013

I can picture Mr Satterthwaite having a holiday cottage in the area you live. He likes art, so it's a good place for him to be. I'd be interested in reading more of your story. If you want any advice, I'll try to help you, but I'm only an amateur writer. 
    If you want to know how odd I am, if I was in that area I would actually go and have a look at Harlequin apartments! It's a great name. 

Please give me advice, and be honest! I really don't like it when people just say it's good and you know it's not! I am in the process of writing the next part.
  • I will  be honest and give you constructive criticism if it's needed. So far the opening has sparked my interest. But it's only a small paragraph, so I did want to see the rest so I can judge the rest story. 

If your planning your story I find it's best to have an idea in your mind at what the middle and end will be like. Otherwise it's easy to get stuck. 

The best inspiration for your story is of course the Agatha Christie works -all the Mr Quin stories, Three Act Tragedy and Dead Man's Mirror. You can read about  Mr S and his mannerisms. If you find it hard to create new characters, you could always use some that have already in the stories. 

I haven't actually finished it yet, but I know how I am going to reveal the murderer! I've posted the next section, so please use constructive critisism. You can post it on the other forum for ease.
  • I think it's easier to post on here, I don't like to break up your story.

I'll have a good long read and then get back to you. I hope some other people comment too, because I'm no expert!

• glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    SeaSnap...where is your work?  I would love to read it..........

It's 'The Harlequin Apartments' under stories. Sorry for the weird thing at the end, haven't a clue what it is.:-/ :-?

Anyone read my two new posts?
    edited November 2013
    Yes, I was just waiting for someone to comment before I posted the next part. How is it?
  • It held my interest and I'd like to read more. Maybe try adding some  descriptions of the characters. What did the paperboy look like? Did he look a little shifty? or sweet and innocent? 

It ended  when Mr S is about to enter the scene of a murder, so you can have fun building up the suspence! 

Okay, will try and add in some description. I will play around with the next part to add in some description! :D
    I have posted my description of the murder scene. If there is any questions, post them now. It is one of the most important scenes in most murder mysteries!
  • I hope you don't mind my advice. Anyway I'll go and have a read.
    edited November 2013
    No, I would love your advice!

• With caution and care, Mr Satterthwaite eased open the door. The sight that met him was surprising, for it was not what Mr Satterthwaite intended. What he saw was a room of extreme neatness and order. It was almost perfectly symmetrical. Nothing seemed out of place. Mr Satterthwaite wouldn’t have known this was a scene of crime but for the fact that the elderly man in the armchair, to the left of the door, wasn’t moving. The table behind the armchair where the man was sitting was pristine, except for the morning’s paper lying on it. The corpse was lying back within the chair, and the chair was pulled up by the fire. There was no sign of a struggle, and the only sign of murder was the thick red line around the poor man’s neck. The man had been strangled.

I'm sorry for delay in replying. I'm interested. Now you can write the next part. Maybe  post a longer piece so that the story isn't too broken up. I do see that there might be a clue in this piece??

I don't know much about writing, so I was hoping for other forum members would advise you too!!! 

Okay, I will try and post in bigger parts. And you might see a clue in this section, and the next!

• I'll read your story and I see a few points. I will send you a private message as so it won't spoil it for anyone else. 
  • don't leave us hanging on!!

:D
    Sorry, I might be a long time with the next part. :(
    Thanks!
  • Seasnap- I was wondering when you were going to reveal the full solution?