Agatha Christie Trivia

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    1.  Lucky was drowned.
    2. The weapon was a sandbag tube used to block drafts from cracks at the bases of windows and doors.
    3. Miss A. tripped down a flight of stairs.  A thin thread or wire was tied at the top of the steps, and her dog Bob's ball was placed there as a decoy.
    4. A daiquri with a lethal dose of Calmo.
  • Gkc you are correct! Great job! Loved the Mirror Crack'd movie with Liz Taylor n Kim Novack! Question....who played Miss Marple.?
    Angela Lansbury.
  • Ok, new questions - Titles
    1. Everyone knows that Hercule Poirot once took part in an investigation into a Murder on the Orient Express.  How many other trains figure in the titles of the Christie canon?
    2. How many Christie titles are minor mysteries in themselves, in that they ask a question?
    3. Can you come up with the only Christie title that can be found in the Bible?
    4. What is the only Christie title that refers to a location on the American side of the Atlantic?
  • 1. The Mystery of the Blue Train - can't think of any others but maybe a short story?
    2. Why Didn't They Ask Evans? and N or M?
    3. Not sure...
    4. A Caribbean Mystery?

1. The 4:50 From Paddington and "The Plymouth Express."
    2. "How Does Your Garden Grow?"
    3. THe Pale Horse.

• ZeddieZeddie Ballymoney, United Kingdom
    1. The 4.50 from Paddington, The Plymouth Express and the Mystery of the Blue Train
    2. N or M?, Whay didn't they ask Evans? and How does your garden grow?
    3. The Pale Horse
    4. A Caribbean Mystery
  • Great job working together!!
    1. - Train titles - 3 in all:  The Blue Train, 4:50 From Paddington, and The Plymouth Express.
    2.  Two titles have questions - N or M? and Evans?
    3.  The Pale Horse is correct
    4. Correct - Caribbean Mystery
  • Today's category:  Tommy and Tuppence
    1.  In addition to using them for titles, Dame Agatha occasionally employed nursery rhymes as integral parts of her stories.  Which children's favorite played a vital role in the very adult problems posed by N or M?
    2. During the course of their investigations, they became involved with a Scotland Yard officer.  What was the name of their first contact at the Yard?
    3.  In Postern of Fate Tommy met the enigmatic Mr. Robinson.  What code phrase did Robinson instruct Tommy to use if he came across anything important?
    4. Exactly how did "Oxford" and "Cambridge" figure in the outcome of Postern of Fate, Tommy and Tuppence's last case?
    1. Goosey Goosey Gander.
    2. Inspector Marriot.
    3. Crab-apple jelly.
    4. They were blue porcelain stools with swans on them.  Inside Cambridge was a package containing clues.
  • 3 out of 4 GKCfan.  #2 is incorrect.  I will leave it open until tomorrow.  Are you still buried in snow?  I'm in Detroit, and we got pummeled.
    I guess they met someone else before iInspector Marriot.  Actually, a little of the mountains of snow has melted the last couple of days on the other side of Lake Michigan, but more is supposed to come in the next 24 hours.
  • Yes, the way the question was worded was "their first contact in the Yard?"  I've only read 1 T and T book, so I'm unfamiliar with them...but the correct answer is none other than Inspector James "Jimmy" Japp.  I think I guessed the novel correct on the Guess the Novel forum.  If so, I will be posting my 4 words from a book tomorrow.  I have a good one.
  • I have set some questions:-
    1)what is Agatha Christie's maiden name?
    2)when was Agatha Christie born?
    3)how many sisters did Agatha Christie have?
    4)how old was Agatha Christie when her father died?
    5)what is the name of Agatha Christie's daughter?
    6)what happened to Agatha Christie in 1926?
    7)when did Agatha Christie die?
    8)what was Agatha Christie's first novel?
    9)who is Agatha Christie's most famous sleuth?
    10)The character M. Thibault appeared in which of these Poirot cases?
    11)The character Horace Blatt appeared in which of these Poirot cases?
    12)Senorita Dolores Ramona appeared in which of the following Parker Pyne stories?
    13)17 Richmond Street is the address of Which character created by Christie?
    14)The story "Manhood of Edward Robinson" appears in which Christie short story collection?
    15)In the novel "Dead Man's Folly" who was Etienne de Sousa?

• 16)What is the occupation of Miss Marples's Nephew?
    17)In which novel is the Book "Meditation on Death. Death, the Recurring Decimal" written by Hercule Poirot, mentioned?
    18)In the story "Arcadian Deer" in "The Labours of Hercule" who was equated as the deer?
    19)When Tommy and Tuppence first met in the beginning of "The Secret Adversary", Tommy said that they had not seen each other since ....
    20)In the novel "Crooked House" Charles Hayward & Sophia Leonides first met in .....
    21)Who is the investigator in "Towards Zero"?
    22)The character Jefferson Cope in "Appointment with Death" finally gets married to .....
    23)Who wrote the article on 'The Tendency of the Criminal; Famous Crime Passionnels; Murder for Love vs. Murder for Gain'?

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

1) Miller

2) 1890

3) 1

5) Rosalind

7) 1976

8) The Mysterious Affair At Styles

9) Hercule Poirot

11) Evil Under The Sun

15) An Old Friend of Lady Stubbs

16) Thriller Writer

19) Tuppence was a Nurse during the War and Tommy was a Patient

21) Supt Battle

22) The Youngest

23) Poirot (I am guessing because the words Passionels is in the Title) 

For Q 22 I mean the Youngest Daughter.
    Q6) I think In 1926 she dissapered

1) Miller

2) 1890

3) 1

5) Rosalind

7) 1976

8) The Mysterious Affair At Styles

9) Hercule Poirot

11) Evil Under The Sun

15) An Old Friend of Lady Stubs

16) Thriller Writer

Sorry that was a mistake
    Sorry, I don't now the rules, do all someone's questions have to be answered before someone else poses questions
  • Hi - we didn't have any rules actually.  I had found this great AC Trivia book and just started throwing out some fun questions.  Anyone can answer.  The book has the questions grouped into categories like - Hercule P questions, Marple, Titles, Red Herrings, etc.   If you want to pose any questions, feel free!  Trivia is always fun.
  • edited January 2014
    I'll put out a few more from the category:  Mise en Sc`ene
    1.  What was the number of the compartment on the Orient Express occupied by Samuel Edward Ratchett, in which he was killed?
    2. Although he hated to travel, Poirot quite obviously got around.  Can you recall the name of the vessel he was traveling when he suddenly encountered Death On The Nile?
    3.If you happened to read the Chipping Cleghorn paper on Friday, Oct. 29, you knew that a "murder" had been announced for 6:30 that evening at Little Paddocks.  What is the name of the family who owned that inhospitable home?
  • 2. The Karnak.

3. Blacklock??

1. #2.
  • lachy and GKC have done it again!  All correct!
    Thaqnks Jennifer for Clarifying things, what is the name of the book, I can't think of any questions and I love yours, The questions I can think of wouldn't be the right sought.
  • Thanks Tommy!  It's a great book that I found at a used book store - Agatha Christie Trivia, by Richard T. Ryan.  (1987)  Many of the questions are quite difficult and detailed, so you really have to know your AC!
    How about we try...Mon Ami Hastings?
    1. Despite the fact that he started out as Poirot's Watson, Hastings does not appear in all that many cases.  In how many novels does Hastings appear with Poirot?
    2. The romantic impulses of Hastings may be ascribed in part to his preference for women with a particular hair color.  What shade of hair is the good Hastings often, and truly, accused of being partial to?
    3. Believe it or not, Hastings once seriously considered murdering someone.  In which case did it occur, and what was the name of the prospective victim?
    1) 8, not counting the novelization of Black Coffee and the flash-forward cameo in Evil Under the Sun.

2) Auburn.

3) Curtain. Major Allerton.
  • Impressive GKC!  I was surprised that Hastings was only in 8 novels.  Seems like he is in more.  Maybe because he's in many short stories.