Agatha Christie Trivia

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

1. Colonel Protheroe's Step-daughter?

2. Cards On The Table

3. Comic Book.

4. The Mirror Crack'd From Side To Side (Just read it)

5. Syringe

• edited June 2014
    anne and Tommy - you both have numbers 2 - 5 correct, although can you tell me what the comic book said on it that had meaning to the case?  
    I'll give some more time for #1.  
    Is 1. Raymond
  • Is 1 Lawrence Redding?

Does that mean it wasn't the part about "Georgie Porgie kissing girl hikers in the wood" that was the clue?

• anne, you are correct - Laurence Redding and the wrong stone.
    My book says that the comic book had a message inside that says "Look in the hiker's rucksack," and therefore Poirot felt that the killer removed it.  I have not read that book in a very long time - actually I think I have only seen the movie with Peter Ustinov, Jean Stapleton, and Nicholette Sheridan. 
  • That's right! I remember that part now about looking in the Rucksack.

I actually saw the David Suchet version a couple of months back. It was very well done! I think it and Curtain were the best of the last series.

I did see the Ustinov version many years ago but do not remember anything about it.

• Today's category:  Mise en Sce`ne
    1. The Mousetrap is set in a guest house owned by Molly and Giles Davis.  What is the name of that now-famous estate, which can still be seen on stage in London?
    2. What is the name of the mews where "Murder in the Mews" takes place?
    3. In Death in the Air, the murder takes place on a plane.  What was the name of the aircraft in that case, which boasted Hercule Poirot on its passenger manifest?
    4. Considering Ariadne Oliver's involvement with the Hallowe`en Party case, it seems singularly appropriate that the case should have begun in such an aptly named house.  What was the name of the house where the Hallowe`en Party was held?
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    jennifer said:
    Today's category:  Mise en Sce`ne
    1. The Mousetrap is set in a guest house owned by Molly and Giles Davis.  What is the name of that now-famous estate, which can still be seen on stage in London?
    2. What is the name of the mews where "Murder in the Mews" takes place?
    3. In Death in the Air, the murder takes place on a plane.  What was the name of the aircraft in that case, which boasted Hercule Poirot on its passenger manifest?
    4. Considering Ariadne Oliver's involvement with the Hallowe`en Party case, it seems singularly appropriate that the case should have begun in such an aptly named house.  What was the name of the house where the Hallowe`en Party was held?
    Wow, you sure have stumped me....good job....looking forward to finding out the answers.

1. Monkswell Manor

2. Bardsley Gardsens Mews

3. - The Aeroplane went from Paris to Croydon

4. Woodleigh Common

• Tommy - 2/4.  Numbers 1 and 2 are correct.  Number 3 needs the name of the airplane, and #4 is an ironic name for a home where a Halloween murder takes place.
    I'll give another day....
    j
  • 3 is Prometheus

• Prometheus is correct.  Anyone know the name of the estate in Halloween Party?
  • The name of the estate: Apple Trees. 
    And I love that AC dediacates the book to .... P.G. Wodehouse!! 'Whose books and stories have brightened my life for many years. Also, to show my pleasure in his having been kind enough to tell me he enjoyed my books."
    I feel the same shifra, Why Didn't They Ask Evans has similarities to one of Wodehouse's, I love the fact a Character in Murder In Mesopotamia is described as Wodehousian, It is one of the fewthings I like about the book, Ther other thing I like is the Last Victim.
  • Yes - Apple Trees!
  • Today's Category - my favorite detective - A Poirot Perspective
    1. In which case did Poirot, who was not especially fond of the outdoors, plan a picnic on Dartmoor to see if someone had told him a "little lie?"
    2. In one case a woman came to Poirot claiming that the initials "H.P." had been repeated several times of her Ouija board.  What case had this rather otherwordly beginning?
    3. What was the only case in which Poirot, who normally did "not approve of murder," condoned one by accepting an "official" verdict which he knew to be erroneous?
    4. What words did Poirot instruct Hastings to whisper if he should "think at any time" that Poirot was "growing conceited"?

3. Murder On The Orient Express

4. The Mystery of The Clapham Cook

1. The Market Basing Mystery

2. The Cornish Mystery

• shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname
    Hi, there! This is question about AC herself. Does anyone know if it's true that she suffered from dyslexia? Is that why she was "a atrociuos speeler"?
  • 1. Evil Under the Sun

2. -

3. Murder on the Orient Express

4. "Chocolate Box"

• Correct answers are:
    1. Evil Under the Sun
    2. not given yet
    3. Murder on the Orient Ex
    4. Chocolate Box
  • Is 2. a short story?
  • Is number 2 Taken at the Flood?
  • Sorry for the delay - 
    Yes, Shifra, it is Taken at the Flood - or There is a Tide

• Happy Fourth of July for all Americans out there!
    New Trivia - Smoking Guns and Other Clues:
    1. Can you recall either of the literary clues that Poirot left as hints for Hastings in Curtain, their last case?
    2. In The Secret of Chimneys, a card of buttons, a piece of paper covered with E's, and a bit of knitting all proved to be crucial clues.  How should they have been interpreted?
    3. An accidental remark about what object of furniture provided Miss Marple with a much-needed blue in A Murder Is Announced?  What was the object in question which shed some light on the problem?
    4. What had been added to the the picture "House by a Canal" in By the Pricking of My Thumbs?
  • Was 3 something about the position of a table and what was on that table previously, proving that a certain person had been in the house before when they should not have been?

Was 4 a boat with a name on it?

• AriadneAriadne Texas, United States
    edited July 2014
    This is so fun! I'm going to see if I can find the book. Thanks for posting, Jennifer. :)

3. A lamp.

That's the only one I (think) I know! :)
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    1.  Iago from Othello.
  • Ok - correct answers so far.....
    3.  Yes, a lamp - Dora "Bunny" made a remark about the lamp in the drawing room of Little Paddocks.
    1. One clue was from Othello.There is another.
    4. A boat - what was its name?

;)
  • 1. The third act of John Ferguson (has anyone come across that?)