Agatha Christie Trivia

Comments

• Ok, how about a few "random" questions?
    1. To which fruit did Ariadne become partial after her unpleasant experience with apples at the Hallowe'en Party?
    2. What was found floating in the Helmmouth River in Dead Man's Folly that helped foster the belief that Lady Stubbs had drowned?
    3. We all know that the Bantry family woke one morning to discover The Body In The Library.  What was the name of their home?
    4. What is Tuppence's given name, and can you also come up with her middle initial?
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    1. Figs.
    2. Hattie's hat.
    3. Gossington Hall
    4. Well, her married name is Prudence Cowley Beresford, so it would be "C" after her marriage.  Not sure about another one...
  • 1, 2, and 3 are correct.  Her name was Prudence Cowley but there is a middle initial.  I'll leave it open for another day. 
  • Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK
    edited January 2014
    Opps! I was answering an earlier question, which has already been correctly guessed.
  • I have a question but no answer! Does anyone know which actor or actress has appeared in the most film and television adaptions of Agatha Christie's works?
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I would Guess David Suchet, In Poirot and as Japp In 13 For Dinner followed by Joan Hickson, as Miss Marple and Mrs Rivington in Why Didn't they Ask Evans and Mrs Kidder in Murder She Said
  • I forgot to add- the actor and actress whose played the most different characters?  I think that Nicholas Farrell and Sir James Fox have appeared in quite a few. 
  • Today's topic: Ariadne Oliver
    1. Like her creator, Ariadne Oliver created a celebrated detective from a foreign country.  What nationality was her sleuth, and what was his name?
    2. Mrs. Oliver often worked with Poirot solving real-life murders.  Exactly how many cases did she and Poirot share, and how many of them can you name?
    3. Though Ariadne usually worked with Poirot, she appears in one novel without the little Belgian.  In which book does Mrs. Oliver solo?

Answer to Tuppence's middle initial:  L
  • 1. He was Finnish I think, not sure of his name.
    3. The Pale Horse
    1. Sven Jurgesson or something like that and yes he was a Finn, I will probably come across his surname as I have just started Dead Man's Folly and Aiadne usually mentions it 

1. Cards On The Table

2. Mrs McGinty's Dead

3. Dead Man's Folly

4. Elephants Can Remember

5. Halloween Party

6. Third Girl

That makes 6

• Answers:
    1. Ariadne's detective was a Finn - Sven Hjerson
    3. Yes, Pale Horse

I'll give a bit more time for #2.
  • Jennifer - great questions.

Off the top of my head
    Q9. Raymond and he is a fiction writer (romance?)
    Q10 Cornflower blue eyes is ringing a bell but not sure?

When you ask about who has played the Most Characters do you include Radio? Maurice Denham played Poirot on Radio and has played Mr Crackenthorp Snr in the Hickson version of 450 From Paddington, Hastings in The Alphabet Murders bast on ABC Murders and Parker Pyne on ITV

Joan Hickson has Played Mrs Kidder in Murder She Said, Mrs Rivington in Why Didn't They Ask Evans, Miss Marple in Miss Marple on BBC1 and she played Miss Price in the Play version of Appointment With Death.

John Moffet was in The Sittaford  Mystery On Radio, Conway Jefferson's Butler in Body In The Library and Played Poirot on Radio, I think he had a part in a Ustinov Film where Ustinov played Poirot

• Hi all,
    Lucy - I think your answers are coming from the Marple questions - Raymond West is her nephew who writes books about "unpleasant people."
    Jane's eyes are described as china blue.

Tommy - you rock!  There were 6 books in which Oliver worked with Poirot - your list is correct!

Just to give credit where credit is due - these questions are coming from a treasure I found called "Agatha Christie Trivia" by Richard T. Ryan (Bell Publishing Co., NY 1987)
  • Today's topic is a repeat - because they are so good - Titular Trivialitease
    1. Despite the colorful characters she created, Dame Agatha was apparently loath to use colors in her titles, as they appear in the names of only three of her works.  How many of those vivid titles can you  name?
    2. Animals also figure prominently in a number of titles.  How many canines did Christie capitalize on in composing her titles?
    3. What is the name of the estate on which a Murder After Hours occurs?  Incidentally, the name was also the British title of the book, and it comes from a poem by Tennyson.
  • Thanks Jennifer I was replying to the Miss Marple questions but am obviously a bit behind the eight ball - sorry!

Regarding the coloured titles: I can only think of Black Coffee and Mystery of the Blue Train...
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    1.  The Man in the Brown Suit.
    2.  Dumb Witness.  "Next to a Dog."  "The Nemean Lion" (Refers to a Pekinese).  "The Capture of Cerberus."
    3. The Hollow.

Thank you Jennifer, I am reading Dead Man's Folly Now.

1. Yellow Iris and The Mystery of The Blue Train

• Hi all
    1. Titles with colors - actually you guys named more than the answer page did - They also included The Golden Ball and Other Stories, but interestingly Black Coffee is not listed.  Yellow Iris is not listed either, but the question doesn't distinguish between novels and short stories.  
    2. Their answer is 2 - The Hound of Death and The Under Dog
    3.  The Hollow is correct - and one of my favorites!  Our local community theater did it for a play.  I think I enjoyed it so much because of all the different women in the story who all have a reason to kill this man! I did not guess the killer at all!
  • Black Coffee was a play I think - perhaps that is why it wasn't listed? cheers
  • Ok, after a long, hard winter in Michigan, USA, I am back! Once again I'll reach into my Agatha Christie Trivia book by Richard T. Ryan.  
    Category is :  A Cross Section of Christie Characters
    1. What is the name of Roger Ackroyd's physician and neighbor?  (without looking)
    2. One of the most fascinating characters in the entire Christie canon is a private investigator who specializes in gathering information and who never looks directly at people when he's speaking wit them.  Can you recall the name of this man, who proved invaluable to Poirot on a number of occasions? (It's almost like he's "Googling" people back then to get info.)
    3. Perhaps the most repugnant character in the entire Christie canon was the malevolent Mrs. Boynton.  What was this malicious individual's former occupation? 
    4. No one in Chipping Cleghorn really expected anyone to die when they picked up their newpapers and read "A Murder is Announced!"  Still, someone did die.  What was the victim's name?
  • 1) Dr Sheppard?

2) Mr Robinson or Colonel Pikeway?

3) Was it Prison Wardress?

4) Rudi Sherz?

1) Dr Shephard

2) Mr Goby

3) Prison Warden

4) Rudi Sherz

• Congrats to anne.clough - 3/4 correct and Tommy  4/4 (I knew you would find my new questions :)
    1. Dr.  James Sheppard
    2. Mr. Goby (love this guy)
    3. Former Prison Wardress
    4. Our unsuspecting "burglar" Rudi Scherz
  • I forgot about the name of this character...
    Possibly you recall the unusual nickname of Miss Lytton Gore from Three Act Tragedy as being "Egg."  Can you remember her true Christian name?  (for all you Harry Potter fans also)
  • Hermione of course!

• Yea!  The only character AC names Hermione, and she uses a nickname the whole time.
  • Category:  Smoking Guns and Other Clues
    1. Who brought MIss Marple the wrong type of stone for a Japanese rock garden and thus set her on the right track in Murder at the Vicarage?
    2. In which case did Poirot arrive at the identity of the murderer by examining a number of bridge scores?
    3. What item was removed from the boathouse in Dead Man's Folly because even though it was only a clue for the Murder Hunt, the killer, according to Poirot, felt, "It might have given someone ideas?"
    4. Bellini's Laughing Madonna was an important clue in a tragedy in which Miss Marple involved herself.  Can you name the case?
    5. The case of Mrs. Boynton's death was complicated because there was one too many of these items floating around.  What was the extra implement that baffled Poirot in Appt. w/ Death...but only for a short while?
  • 1 - No idea

2 - Cards on the Table?

3 - Was it a comic book with the words "Georgie Porgie  kisses girl hikers in the woods" on it?

4. The Mirror Cracked from Side to Side?

5 - Was it a hypodermic syringe?