June's Book of the Month: A Murder is Announced

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

I suppose non-identical twins aren't likely to recognize each other right away.  After all, it must get tiring after a while to come across every woman your age and wonder, "Is she my sister?"

As far as we know, there were only three people who could have revealed the deception.  Rudi, the first victim, Miss Bunner, and Belle.  Those were the only three people we know of who knew Letitia Blacklock (Rudi met both sisters on the Continent when he worked in a hotel there, Miss Bunner of course grew up with both sisters, and Belle knew Letitia well but probably never met Charlotte.)  Belle couldn't travel and was unlikely to make an identification.  Rudi, however, might have blackmailed until he got most of the inheritance.

I think that the reference to the "weak killer" is indeed A Murder is Announced.  Miss Marple says at the end that "weak, kindly people are often very treacherous."  
  • I guess it is true about the twins - especially given that they were separated at an early age. Also, I think that Julia is not especially reflective and thoughtful - she is a character inclined to jump in first. I think the fact that Julia had that lucky break meeting Patrick in London (I think the place), and then realising the connection going there with Miss Blacklock, might mean that she would unconsciously think that you'd have to have an amazing piece of luck like that to get an introduction. It wouldn't be a very likely possibility to her that her twin would get herself into the same social circle.

Re Rudy, I guess there is always the fear for LB that he might have told an equally unscrupulous friend back home about the blackmail opportunity - perhaps someone who had also worked at the hospital and knew the sisters by sight. And Rudy had a girlfriend at the hotel - it could have gone another way and the young woman could have learned more. In reflection, it shows LB's lack of experience in crime that she thought to murder him. She couldn't have guaranteed no one else would know - a more astute operator might have risked it, and cut him into the money, banking on the fact that he would then be an accessory to fraud, and likely not to push his advantage, not to the law, anyway.
  • By the way, Mariam, perhaps the AC only uses the word lesbian once - in Halloween party, and as speculation about a dead person, but there is another mention of homosexuality - in "A Caribbean Holiday", Miss Marple's nephew Raymond arranges for a friend of his to "house-sit" MM's house in her absence, and assures her that he is "house-proud - he is a queer". And then he is embarrassed.
  • karmarkarmar Poznan, Poland
    Great plot and great characters - one of my favourites. BTW, I think it's time for the July's Book of the Month ;)
  • I wonder what July's Book of the Month is going to be???? I'd like it to be a Summer one, maybe Peril at End House, as this plot and its  unravelling are both really ingenious. The murderer utterly convincing as a person.  I think that there is exactly the right amount of pre-warning, and pointers to make the contest to guess the culprit sporting. Hastings is in it too. The scenes sizzle with West Country sunshine.
  • Has a book been selected for July Book of the Month?
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

As It is my Joint Favourite MM Book I personally would choose one of these;

Poirot Category: ABC Murders, CardsOn The Table, The Clocks, Evil Under The Sun, Cat Among The Pigeons or Mrs McGinty's Dead.

Out Of The OthersTowards Zero or The Sittaford Mystery, Why Didn't They Ask Evans The Bundle Books or N or M. perhaps the powers at Be think as it is Summer everybody won't want one, I can understand that view for August even though I don't agree with it but I don't understand that view for July.

• alanalialanali San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
    edited July 2015

This was the second Agatha Christie book that I read, and it is an absolute gem.

• It hardly matters that we haven't been given a book of the month for July, as we have virtually done a focused discussion of two or three books. However, it does make me feel a little that we are characters in an AC novel, waiting for our instructions, and wondering what has happened to the mysterious host who has assembled us to discuss. We shouldn't be calling Inspector Japp, should we, to make sure they are ok?
  • No sign of an August book of the month either. Has such a pattern happened before, may I ask fellow posters?
  • Also, is that thing still happening whereby you can't leave a post after 11 pm for an hour. This is looking mysterious, like, gulp, the maid in The Moving Finger not showing up after a night out, and not having put on her going out clothes. You don't think........surely not a real live mystery
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    Being fairly new to this forum I was looking forward to a July Book Of The Month and a subsequent discussion (I didn't miss it did i ? )
    Hopefully there will be an August selection.
    Not that it would inhibit any A.C. book reading if there wasn't one,but a  discussion afterwards is a great way to learn more or maybe get more out of said story....
  • I think the book of the month does give a focus to discussions, and, presumably, the admin/moderators might gen up before posting the selection, and have a few links, facts and quotes from AC to guide us along, and answer any queries. I know that posters do answer each others' questions, and we seem to get along fine in any case, but a bit of structure is ever useful, in my opinion.
  • Who decides on the Book of the month?  How can we, the fans. "nudge" him/her?
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    edited August 2015

Who decides on the Book of the month?  How can we, the fans. "nudge" him/her?
    I don't know who does it. I would like to know too.But, it's not the first time. In april, the same thing happened. The book of the month Giant's Bread was dicussed during the months of april and may (2015). Only in june, they changed to A Murder is Announced (the current one). I hope they change soon
    Griselda, I love your idea of us all being Characters in an AC Novel, It makes me think of an Idea I had based on The Hunters Lodge story whereby someone is relaying things to someone who can't be on the spot and the person not on the spot solves it, I would call Battle rather than Japp as he has his own Mysteries It has never happened before that we have not had a Book Of The Month although the Feature did not always exist, It is a fairly new addition I think.
  • It is a bit strange. We better monitor each other to make sure that no one has uncharacteristically become absent from the site, or to check that somebody's thread doesn't disappear mid sent...............
    Very F...
  • I was only knocked out, but survived like the old lady in Dumb Witness. Is it, Tommy, some kind of experiment to see if we turn into Lord of the Flies characters and without rules and moderation start separating into rival factions, the ones who want to discuss tv adaptations, and the ones who want to talk about the novels, and try to eliminate each other. Or is it a ruse to make us write a novel together, because we've run out of things to say and all know each others' preferences? Shall we try being really controversial, and see if we get moderated, and if we don't, well, we might have to call on Old Bill to go to Angola, is it, and check the organisation are OK!!!!!!!
    We can sail to Angola like Anne Beddingfield in The Man In The Brown Suit....Is he the Moderator ?
    Is the title of August's Book Of The Month,inside a  container that would normally hold a roll of film ?????

P.S. Does anyone remeber rolls of film ??
  • Indeed. Is it a virtual roll of film indicated by code in certain posts? Or should one of the more scientific of our number take a wire hat mould and placing their iPad over it proceed to set fire to it to find the solution.......as in MOTOE - not that I need to say. By the way Marc, I would like some of your Scottish clear, cool air and beautiful scenery.
    Ha... I know i should appreciate it a bit more,but being continually drenched does wear one down a bit...Mind you..There's plenty of reading time...!!!!! 
  • Majong is what they played on wet evenings in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd! I'm sure the scenery is wonderful even through the rain.

Yes I think it must be an experiment to see how we cope without a Book of The Month, will someone take Charge and dominate this Thread by talking about their Favourite book and see where the discussion goes like throwing a pebble in a Stream and watching the ripples, after all a discussion about Cards On The Table could then go on too The Man in The Brown Suit, which could lead they came to Baghdad which could lead to Passenger to Frankfurt which could lead to Death In The Clouds which could lead to The Mystery of The Blue Train which could lead to Murder At The Vicarage which could lead to Three-Act Tragedy but if you start with Cards On The Table you could go on to many others.

Yes I remember rolls of Film and Projectors and My sister trying to get me back into a tent in Scotland.

Okay Tommy....Why don't we name... say...... 5 books and everyone can vote on which one to read for August ?

1: A Marple
    2: A Poirot
    3: A Tommy & Tuppence
    4: A Mary Westmacott
    5: A Non Marple/Poirot

I'll name a Marple to throw into the hat : A Pocket Full Of Rye
  • Yes, nice one. It has an interesting description of Miss Marple, and interesting dynamics of the crime, you know, how it was committed, some of the SPOILER ALERT murders without knowingly being done.
  • edited August 2015
    I'll go with A Pocket Full Of Rye. Not my favourite, but several interesting characters. and do widen the subject, How do you like the idea of books based on Childrens Rymes? (Hickory Dickory Dock, One Two Buckle my Shoe, The Crooked House, Ten little... Whatever)
    That is a Good Idea, Pocketful of Rye has a good use of Nursery Rhyme, I can't remember what other books have been Book of The Month and I have not read Westmacott Books, Has The Clocks been Book of the Month yet, If it hasn't I would put that into the Hat or Towards Zero for Stand alone's  
    1: A Marple.......A Pocket Full Of Rye
    2: A Poirot......The Clocks
    3: A Tommy & Tuppence
    4: A Mary Westamacott
    5: A Non Marple/Poirot.....The Crooked House
    Does this look okay so far ???    How about No:s 3 & 4......... Anyone ?

• Tommy and Tuppence would be good, maybe, because the tv series is on at the moment.