June's Book of the Month: A Murder is Announced

Comments

• MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    Okay Griselda.....Which one would you like to enter ?
  • You decide. I don't know these as well as Poirot and Miss Marple. Perhaps the one which is going to be coming up next on the BBC on Sunday 9th.
    1: A Marple.......A Pocket Full Of Rye
    2: A Poirot......The Clocks
    3: A Tommy & Tuppence........N or M
    4: A Mary Westamacott
    5: A Non Marple/Poirot.....The Crooked House

Okay Griselda.Have entered N or M on your behalf.....
    Anyone have any experience of Mary Westmacott stories ?
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I would say 2, 3 or 5 myself, as the last one was a Miss Marple Book and on a selfish note I haven't read any 4s
    What say,we give it until Friday for anyone to put in a No: 4 Then take it from there ?
  • Yes, this would seem to be the fairest approach.
  • If not 1 then I'd go for 5 - crooked house.
    Okay taliavishay-arbel.......Friday night and we can vote !!!!
    Tommy.if A Pocket Full Of Rye has been done,should we substitute it for another Marple ?
  • Thursday here, but if I can register my vote I'll go for... Crooked house. 
  • Nice idea, Tali, especially if we discuss ways of screening it.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    edited August 2015
    If I can vote today (thrusday), I'll vote Crooked house!

• I'll vote for crooked house too ... BTW n or m? Has already been the book of the month :)>-
    That is a Good idea Griselda
  • Come on, people, let's vote!
    Okay. I'll go for Crooked House also.....We can see what results are tomorrow morning (to allow for any time differences)............
    I will agree with Crooked House.
    Crooked House is in the lead.................Tomorrow morning for a result ??
  • Yes, good idea, I'd say.
    Well....Due to an underwhelming response !!!!   Crooked House wins for August ?
    Does anyone still wish to participate ?
  • I would like to discuss A Crooked House. A very interesting book to dramatise. You could angle the storytelling to imply that the self-absorbed parents were SPOILER ALERT, responsible for the neglected upbringing of the murderer, and why that resulted in a crime being committed. That would fit well with contemporary notions of environment being responsible for criminal behaviour. The parents were, indeed, neglectful - up to a point.
    Thanks Griselda... Being new to Book of the Month......

Do we read it, then discuss ?
    Is there a time frame for completion of the book ?
  • I think that in the past comments have been posted both by those who know the novel and those who don't, but I'm not sure exactly of the protocol.
    edited August 2015
    Sorry, but I would like to know where are we going to post the comments: here or someone will start a Discussion? Thanks!
  • I believe it's better to start a discussion by ourselves where we gonna post our comments.. ^_^
    Okay.Will we give it a week of reading time for those who want to read it first, then we can start a new Discussion ?

• That's a good idea, and refresh the memory for those who need to.
    Ok, that's fine, @MarcWatson-Gray!
    Let's read or re-read it!
  • Interesting point. In other books, "Ordeal by Innocence" and "Nemesis"  AC also deals with the problem of nature vs. nurture. in "Crooked House" she plumps for both - It is very clear that the parents were self-absorbed (even perhaps narcisistic, in the case of the mother), but at the end, SPOILER AC has the hero compare the two sisters - saying all the bad traits of the family came out in the younger daughter (i.e. the dishonesty of the grandfather, the ruthlessness of the grandmother etc.) while all the good traits came out in the older daughter - the kindness of the grandfather, the integrity of the grandmother. So I guess she is saying that there is a bunch of potential characteristics based on genetics, but their appearance may (not certainly but maybe) be affected by nurture, i.e. parenting. In Nemesis and in OBI she goes more strongly for nature - SPOILER while she admits these people (Michael Rafiel and Jacko, respectively) Could have been brought up better, she has authoritative figures in both cases state that nothing in the upbringing would have made a difference in the outcome of their turning to crime.
  • Yes, I would definitely say that she plumps for Nature. I felt that especially on reading Mrs McGinty's Dead. The "Squire' thought so, and the old lady who was sponsoring the playwright. Heredity is essentially the nub of that novel. With Jacko, and that novel, she could hardly have made any clearer her rather old-fashioned, not to say, perhaps, rather unbending views.
    Just getting into it......But does anyone else think that Josephine is very much like Joyce (From Halloween Party ) ?