Best and Worst Miss Marple?

I'm in no position to comment on this since I've only read 4.50 from Paddington but I would like everyone else's thoughts on which Marple was both the best and which you liked the least.

Comments

• So far, I enjoyed all Miss Marple's books- 4.50 from Paddington, A Murder is Announced and The Moving Finger.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    The best Miss Marple book is probably A Murder is Announced but I have always before said it's a Triple tie with 4.50 From Paddington and Seeping Murder, all three are divine, the worst is by a long way They Do It With Mirrors with the other one that Helen Hayes did coming 2nd, The Distributers of the Gracie Fields version of A Murder Is Announced don't think there enough call to bring it out, It is a pity the suggested version with Angela Landesbury was never made
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I think the best is A Murder is Announced. But I also love Sleeping Murder, Murder at the Vicarage and The Moving Finger. They're really good.
    The worst I think it's They do it with mirrors. I'm not a big fan of Nemesis either. To be honest, I don't think they're bad, but they're weaker than the rest.
  • I like so many Miss Marple stories but I thnik that Sleeping Murder and Body In The Library are my favourites. I like Nemesis alot mainly fr the shock at the end. The later Marple stories tend to be more emotional based rather than tight, fast paced whodunnits.

My least favourite is Pocket full Of Rye- I had read so many nursery rhymed themed murders. that when I came to this I was rather tired of them.  I didn't like the characters (except Miss M). 
  • I forgot to mention The moving Finger as one of my favourite stories. 
  • my fav is the moving finger....................................................................
  • hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • ZeddieZeddie Ballymoney, United Kingdom
    My favourite Miss Marple is Murder at the Vicarage with 4.50 from Paddington, The Body in the Library and A Murder is Announced also excellant books.
    My least favourite is also definately They do it with Mirrors.  I don't find any of the characters likeable at all.
    I like the Inspector but no-one else and I find the book hard to get excited about, If I didn't know better I Would think Agatha Christie got the idea from Murder She Wrote,, it just feels like something Jessica Fletcher would be involved in, my 2nd least favourite is Caribbean Mystery, Full marks for AC for putting MM in a book set in a different Country but she is better in Britain
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    I am not fond of 4:50 to Paddington...I do like Nemisis and Caribbean Mystery
  • I read only 2 books with Miss Marple : "The Mirror Crack'd" , "4.50 from Paddington" and "A Carribean Mistery" . My favourite is "4.50 from Paddington" and my least favorite is "The Mirror Crack'd" but I liked them all. :)
  • naylawangnaylawang Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
    I like the body in the library and pocket full of rye...and I prefer the episodes starring joan hickson than the others (very old version)
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I read most of Miss Marple stories, but not all of them yet. So far, A murder is announced if for me the best.
    It is tightly written, fast-paced and offers lots of fun. The twist in the end is also one of the most originals in what I've read so far. The moving finger could be a close second.
    As others said before me, I also think They do it with mirrors is one of the weakest (I wouldn't say worst). It takes its time to begin the action (could be told with less pages) and I didn't find difficult to point the villain. 
  • Zeddie I agree with you. A murder is announced is wonderful

• Best - Sleeping Murder

Worst - At Bertram's Hotel

I agreewith you with Sleeping Murder one of the 3 best, disagree about Bertam's Hotel, They Do It With Mirrors is worse IMHO
  • I agreewith you with Sleeping Murder one of the 3 best, disagree about Bertam's Hotel, They Do It With Mirrors is worse IMHO

I don't mind They Do It With Mirrors. It is not on my list of the best, but I didn't dislike it the way I did At Bertram's Hotel.

I really love The Moving Finger and A Murder is Announced as well.

A Murder Is Announced is one of my Favourites so I did mind but not that much as It was one of the better ones ITV did and I like what they did but they just didn't have to change it that's all, I think having Miss Marple pop up when she did in The Moving Finger made that bit Unbelievable
  • A Murder Is Announced is one of my Favourites so I did mind but not that much as It was one of the better ones ITV did and I like what they did but they just didn't have to change it that's all, I think having Miss Marple pop up when she did in The Moving Finger made that bit Unbelievable
    My favourite part of The Moving Finger is the Megan/Jerry relationship so I was unconcerned about when Miss Marple popped in!
    Yes I liked that relationship, Didn't it annoy you that Miss Marple waltzed into the book and solved it when she wouldn't have really known much about what had been happening, and take Jerry and The Detectives Thunder, IMHO Jerry is one of the Christioe Characters who should have been given a Case to solve themselves but weren't 
  • No it didn't worry me. I accepted the fact that she was brought in because she understood human nature and evil and was quickly brought up to speed with the situation.

I would have loved to see a later novel with a married Jerry and Megan solving a crime. They were such great characters I am sad they were never used again.

I think it was Body In The Library, I think they probably gave her a married Lover to seem 'Relevent' to a modern Audience which seems to be important these days, I had in my head a lovely back story where by she was the boyfriend of Sir Henry Clithering's Brother who died in the War which would explain why Sir Henry and Miss Marple are such good friends,

I would have liked to see Jerry and Megan in a story of their own, I think they are 2 Christie Characters who should have been sleuths in a book of their own

• edited March 2014
    hello everybody. I'm new here.
    MyFavourite Miss Marple: Joan Hickson,though Angela Lansbury was great in "The Mirror crack'd", in the tv adapatation from 1980.
    Has anyone seen her as Miss Marple? The worse Miss Marple? I wouldn't know, Geraldine McEwan? Maybe...

I loved " The body in the library", but my favourite Miss Marple story is: Nemesis
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    Hi Silvana......I enjoyed Angela Lansbury as Miss Marple also.  
    I think her portrayal and The Film are both very underrated
  • I really enjoyed reading A Murder is Announced and The Moving Finger. 
    I didn't like At Bertram's Hotel very much.
  • I am sorry about Julia McKenzie's role as Miss Marple is not continuing - really like her as Miss Marple and would have loved to see her do more adaptations!