Who is the Mystery Man?

LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
edited October 2013 in The Mystery Man Game 2013
I hope it is proper for such a separate topic.
We are on about the half of the story. Here you can discuss who you think the Mystery Man is and what is their motive.
Do tell what you make from all deaths as of now, how you interpret the visions, the interviews with each character and what you think has happened in the past or behind the scenes to make the Mystery Man want all these deaths.

To start, as of now I think I found what I was looking for. Fern said in her last comment the following: "What's my past crime you ask? I honestly don't know, maybe I do deserve this, maybe it's all my fault." That makes me think that nevertheless when she dies, she might be the real victim the murderer wants, and the rest are just to hide the real motive for killing her, which would expose the murderer (just like in one Christie's novel).
Other than this, I think another motive could be justice or revenge. For the former - I do not see who is suitable of taking the role of a judge; it should be someone who knows about their past crimes and that they got away with them ones. For the latter - what connects all of the rest to one of them, who is the Mystery Man - I have not found as of now.
Please, tell your theories.

Comments

• MariaMaria Pichincha, Ecuador
    In the beginning, my theory was that someone was wronged by all or most of these people and wanted to take revenge because, maybe, all the crimes committed were also connected. Which would mean that Mystic Margot's death would only come as a result of her "clairvoyance". In other words, the Mystery Man would kill Margot only because she holds the key to unveil his/her identity.

This changed for me because of the reactions after the fourth murder. Just like you, the comments made after the fourth murder were very interesting, but for me the one that stood out was Mystic Margot's: "What have I done to deservethis? What a question! Just because the poor souls who have been murdered these last two weeks have alledgegly committed some past crime, it doesn't mean that I have. The real criminal here is the Mystery Man, and don't you forget that!" Also, she was the first to talk to the reporter.

This makes me re-think about her role in the whole thing. Why did she emphasized the "and don't you forget that!" Is she really a clairvoyant? Or did she already knew the crimes these people committed? In any case, she might have decided to serve justice by her own hand and made up the whole idea of a mystery killer. Of course, this is only a hunch based on her reaction to the question made by the reporter. This would fit with your justice theory.

However, I'm not sure if we should let go the idea of revenge just yet. I mean, maybe the nurse gave Roberta some medicine that she used to kill all her husbands and make it look like an accident while water-skiing. Maybe the architect found out and was blackmailing her instead of going to the police. At least these people I can connect. Or maybe, as you point out, it is just one of them who wronged Mystery Man and the other murders are hidding his motive, which must mean that he/she didn0t want the victims to be random, he/she also wanted to serve some justice since he/she had to commit such a horrible action.
  • LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria

To add up to my theory for revenge on one person and six others as victims - if there is only one possible explanation for one of the eight people to be murdered, and this explanation would directly lead to only one person who wants it (the Mystery Man), then he or she (the Mystery Man) would make up a whole new motive - justice - and decide to kill six more people so that the original motive would be hidden and the new would not lead to him/her (the Mystery Man).
    But I agree with Maria that there could also be several cases entangled in one.
    What I also agree with is Maria's interpretation of Margot's words. To be honest, Margot is on top of my list. Then it is the hotelier, then the architect, then Guto and just then it is Fern. From the rest, I completely delete only Ted. I hope he is not indeed the Mystery Man, or I will be very miserable. :D

• As the game is going further with the new deaths and statements, Margot is my No 1 suspect. But I think she has a collaborator. And that could be a hotelier or an architect
  • i have similar theories, i just feel that Margot would be too obvious, so she is just an accomplice right now for me. i guess we are all thinking about the ABC murders and Then there were none stories and also Cards on the table... anyway, any ideas what the missing letters could reveal? :)
    klaurose said:
    i have similar theories, i just feel that Margot would be too obvious, so she is just an accomplice right now for me. i guess we are all thinking about the ABC murders and Then there were none stories and also Cards on the table... anyway, any ideas what the missing letters could reveal? :)
    My guess: maybe a word that will take us somewhere on the website with another clue... I think that maybe we'll find the killer in a story, not a name but a personality... Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that a name would be too explicit...
    Maria said:
    klaurose said:
    i have similar theories, i just feel that Margot would be too obvious, so she is just an accomplice right now for me. i guess we are all thinking about the ABC murders and Then there were none stories and also Cards on the table... anyway, any ideas what the missing letters could reveal? :)
    My guess: maybe a word that will take us somewhere on the website with another clue... I think that maybe we'll find the killer in a story, not a name but a personality... Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that a name would be too explicit...

I thought the letters could come up to "hotelier", but with the newest hidden link, this can no longer be the case. Now, if it is the name of a character, only one could have his/her full first/last name arranged. The next letter would tell if this is still the case.
  • i thought that too at the first and second clue, but then again, if they would lead to hotelier or any other word that we know of the characters, the creators of the game would have faced the fact that after the 5th clue, the murderer's identity is most probably already revealed for us, making the - let's say 3 - left murders quite uninteresting. so I hope it is less obvious and as Maria said, it will be another clue leading to something on the website.
    Maria said:
    klaurose said:

I thought the letters could come up to "hotelier", but with the newest hidden link, this can no longer be the case. Now, if it is the name of a character, only one could have his/her full first/last name arranged. The next letter would tell if this is still the case.

• HuilangHuilang Durham, United Kingdom
    I just tuned into the game. Thank you guys for the hints in the forum... they were very helpful, especially at the beginning when I still hadn't figured out how to find the links. I then managed to find the last two clues by myself and I'm very proud of my accomplishments  :P

As for the whodunnit: if I'm not mistaken, two corpses haven't been found: one was on eBay, the other (maybe) buried under cement - and that hand could be anybody's, I guess. Even the murderer himself might have cut off his hand (127 hours style). That said, I'd like it for Guto Fernandez not to be the culprit, he just seems a poor devil whose crime was... come on, that is not even a crime. 
    Although his "crime" would indeed fit with his death "under the supermarket", which I think character-wise just ties him to the architect.

My thoughts on the murderer tend to lie more with an ABC plot than And Then There Were None, unless the culprit is Mystic Margot herself, whom for some reason decided to punish all the people she knew had committed a crime. It would make sense, but it seems a little stretched anyway. I mean, what we are missing here is a Judge Wargrave kind of character, that's why I believe it's more appropriate to think it an ABC plot: as some of you have said, all these murders are a distraction to cover ONE, really important murder. 

The key for all this, however, lies in the body. Judge Wargrave staged his own death without anyone else knowing because they were strayed on an island. Here there's police involved, and I bet the police can tell when they find a real corpse - so the murderer is either still standing or their body hasn't been found yet.

What do you guys think? :)
    I do see your point Huilang, it does seem like the killer is trying to hide a major murder behind a veil of "justice". If I have to pick one of our suspects/victims to fit the kind of character to do so, it'll be actually Guto, because if he was a monk or so, he would feel the need to make something right in the middle of all this bloodbath. And of course, we don't know if it was HIS body under all that concret. Besides, his "crime" is more a felony than an actual crime, and in a way, it seems like the murderer is either too evil to kill someone for that or to moralist... Hmmm... I think I'll have to keep visiting all my theories until we get another murder...
    Maria said:
    I do see your point Huilang, it does seem like the killer is trying to hide a major murder behind a veil of "justice". If I have to pick one of our suspects/victims to fit the kind of character to do so, it'll be actually Guto, because if he was a monk or so, he would feel the need to make something right in the middle of all this bloodbath. And of course, we don't know if it was HIS body under all that concret. Besides, his "crime" is more a felony than an actual crime, and in a way, it seems like the murderer is either too evil to kill someone for that or to moralist... Hmmm... I think I'll have to keep visiting all my theories until we get another murder...
    Agreed! I had thought about the monk thing as well - indeed, it would seem like he's the only one who could have some sort of motive for "punishing" all the others! And he did talk about "bad people" he was escaping from. Truth said, he seems the most likely culprit so far, if we go for a And Then There Were None theory. 

As for the missing letters, I think it will turn out to be an anagram to another clue - maybe the final one. 

Now we just have to wait until the next murder - making sure to understand whether the body has been found or not. I think so far we can rule out Roberta, Henry and Ted - if I am not mistaken all of their bodies have been found? 

How exciting!
  • angelicalisonangelicalison South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    My theory and the motive have gone right out of the window. The letters we have been given, in the clues so far, lead me to one person, and I thought I knew that person's motive, but obviously I was wrong. However, the letters still fit that person's name so far.... but that just makes me even more confused!!
    Maria said:

My theory about Guto was that all 6 or 7 (with Margot) of them had confessed to him their past crimes when he was in the monastery. That is why I was curious where this monastery was - in his home country, or near the St Mary Mead. And the hand could be Henry's - if his body was not found, then the murderer could use it for different purposes, even for making the others believe that they found a particular person. That is why I also think (based on another theory of mine where the hotelier is the Mystery Man) that we can also have an arson and a male body be found - thus, all will think that it is the hotelier's, but it could also be Henry's body. So, I am more to believe that Henry's body would be used for something else and I see Guto or the hotelier having the opportunity to use it.
    Huilang said:
    Agreed! I had thought about the monk thing as well - indeed, it would seem like he's the only one who could have some sort of motive for "punishing" all the others! And he did talk about "bad people" he was escaping from. Truth said, he seems the most likely culprit so far, if we go for a And Then There Were None theory. 

As for the missing letters, I think it will turn out to be an anagram to another clue - maybe the final one. 

Now we just have to wait until the next murder - making sure to understand whether the body has been found or not. I think so far we can rule out Roberta, Henry and Ted - if I am not mistaken all of their bodies have been found? 

How exciting!
    Henry's body hasn't appeared yet, we only know a body was put on e-bay and it said it was his, but the police hasn't found it yet, at least according to the info we have...
  • I agree that Guto stands out - his alleged crime is a joke... and the things he said - bad people in the past chasing him away etc. suggests a lot more to him, or is it just a made up past? he might very well be an accomplice himself - 'lending a hand' to the murderer :D pun intended :D
  • according to my notes, only Roberta's and Ted's body has been found. Henry, Guto and Patrick - their deaths might be staged. I always suspect - just like Poirot - the one's first, who did some harm to themselves to draw away suspicion - but instead of the good old Poirot stories where the murderer poisons him/herself just enough to be sick, here we have someone who cut off their own hand.
    Klaurose, Patrick's body was found, it said: "Police are baffled as to why local artist Patrick Noakes was murdered and left in a photo booth. (...)" The mystery is if the body under concrete was in fact Guto's or Henry's, since Henry's corpse was never really recovered (at least not to our knowledge)

What is interesting is that we still don't know haw the police came to the conclution the body buried in concrete was in fact Guto, which can support the idea of him cutting off his hand, but it seems too dramatic for me...
    Maria said:

Henry's body hasn't appeared yet, we only know a body was put on e-bay and it said it was his, but the police hasn't found it yet, at least according to the info we have...
    Right! Sorry, I meant Patrick... can get confused with names. 
    So "uncertain" deaths are Henry and Guto's. Let's see if the next death has a real corpse to it, or is just alleged!
    edited October 2013
    Maria said:
    Klaurose, Patrick's body was found, it said: "Police are baffled as to why local artist Patrick Noakes was murdered and left in a photo booth. (...)" The mystery is if the body under concrete was in fact Guto's or Henry's, since Henry's corpse was never really recovered (at least not to our knowledge)

I think Klaurose means the same as me - Patrick was known to have made a fraud, so what if he disguised someone else to look like him and being dead? I am not sure what are the methods of the police to identify the deadman, but this is still something to think on. :)
    Maria said:

I think Klaurose means the same as me - Patrick was known to have made a fraud, so what if he disguised someone else to look like him and being dead? I am not sure what are the methods of the police to identify the deadman, but this is still something to think on. :)
    Well, that's a good point. I wish we had more info on the police work...
  • my point exactly, we can never be sure about Patrick, because he was or still IS a master of disguise. i fancy that theory, because a good disguise might open a lot of closed doors for a murderer - making it more believable how people might still end up dead, even if they are aware of the threat.
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada

Good theories everyone. I have a few ideas of my own however I have no idea if I am on the right track or not. 

• hey guys, did you see today's post already?
    'And in further developments, police have confirmed that they now have bodies for all five victims, quashing any speculation that Henry Birtwistle or Guto Fernandez were in fact the Mystery Man. Henry was posted to them in numerous jiffy bags while Guto was eventually chipped out of his concrete tomb in one piece.'

we have our answers now.

one other note: if Margot is not an accomplice or the murderer, why would the murderer leave her alive, helping the world to find him? because he wants these hints out - again to take suspicion away from the real motive probably. still, I don't believe in superpowers. Margot has to be involved.

klaurose said:

one other note: if Margot is not an accomplice or the murderer, why would the murderer leave her alive, helping the world to find him? because he wants these hints out - again to take suspicion away from the real motive probably. still, I don't believe in superpowers. Margot has to be involved.

I also do not believe and believe that Poirot would not, too. :)
    But I am more to think that Margot was somehow aware of what could be happening, but does not know who is really responsible. That is why she uses her status of a Mystic to deliver what she believes could help identify the Mystery Man. And she has not said something really compromising, thus still alive. If this is not true, then I agree that she is the murderer or an accomplice.
    But, guys, the most obvious from the beginning was Margot. Do you think she is really the Mystery Man? Nevertheless whether the motive is hard to find or not - I hope she is not the murderer. But for now, she is still on the top of my list...
  • then mes amis, we jut need to find out who Margot really is. we know already that Patrick Noakes knew her personally.

I don't know if there has anything to do with the whole thing, but Margot GREER shares the last name of another femme fatale Elsa Greer... Just a coincidence?
    edited October 2013
    This Guto and Henry bodies thing is quite a bummer. Do we really have to believe that the murderer is still standing?! It wouldn't really make any sense if we just had to wait until the end, would it? 

So someone has killed someone else and disguised him/her to make believe they're dead. But whom? 
    Your guesses lie with Patrick Noakes I gather...
    Huilang said:
    This Guto and Henry bodies thing is quite a bummer. Do we really have to believe that the murderer is still standing?! It wouldn't really make any sense if we just had to wait until the end, would it? 

So someone has killed someone else and disguised him/her to make believe they're dead. But whom? 
    Your guesses lie with Patrick Noakes I gather...
    Yes, exactly, Patrick. Or someone (Henry) killed someone else and send their body to the police. Or someone killed someone else (this one could have happened long ago in the past) and put their body in the hotel. :)
  • based on today's link, i have to repeat myself: 'then mes amis, we just need to find out who Margot really is.'
    klaurose said:
    based on today's link, i have to repeat myself: 'then mes amis, we just need to find out who Margot really is.'
    I agree. She is a shady character... do you think we'll have some more hints other than the visions for the next murder and the letters to rearrange? I feel like we're missing something crucial...
    Huilang said:
    klaurose said:
    based on today's link, i have to repeat myself: 'then mes amis, we just need to find out who Margot really is.'
    I agree. She is a shady character... do you think we'll have some more hints other than the visions for the next murder and the letters to rearrange? I feel like we're missing something crucial...
    I think we are going to have two last comments - one from each lady. These should help, with everything we have as of now.
    And I do not believe that it would be so simple... I will believe once I see all the letters and what they form.