Which Agatha Christie are you reading now?

Comments

• reading mirror crack'd from side to side
  • Just reread Murder In Three Acts.  I had completely forgotten everything about it.  I LOVED IT!  One of my favorites.  I would rank it in my Tier 2 of favorites.  Tier 1 being the famous - 10 Little Indians, Death on the Nile, Orient Express.  Poirot was not in it as much as I would have liked, but his role is charming.  I especially love the last sentence in the book!
  • I have finished Cat Among the Pigeons - great! - didn't guess it :(

What to read now???

@jennifer - is Murder in Three Acts the same as Three Act Tragedy?  If so I will try that next... ;)
  • LucyGLemon - probably is - maybe I was mistaken on the title - don't have my NOOK in front of me.  It starts at a cocktail party put on by a famous actor.  A Mr. Satterwaithe (sp?) is kind of the main character/somewhat narrator.  The girl in the story is called Egg.

• I too liked Cat Among the Pigeons.  Great title.  
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Yes It is Lucy, I think Murder In here Acts is either the American Title or just what The Film was called with Peter Ustinov and David Suchet as Japp.
    Forgot to say I love Cat Among The Pigeons but try as I might I still don't understand The Title, They could have chosen a Much better one.
  • @Tommy_A_Jones, the title refers to something Poriot says. It's how he describes himself - being a detective searching for the murderer is like setting the cat among the pigeons. He stalks, he watches, he follows one and then another - all the time playing with them, a deadly game, knowing that one of them will be his prey. And Poirot really is catlike. Sometimes he says that he's the good dog, once set on a track, he never lets go.
  • @Tommy_A_Jones, the title refers to something Poriot says. It's how he describes himself - being a detective searching for the murderer is like setting the cat among the pigeons. He stalks, he watches, he follows one and then another - all the time playing with them, a deadly game, knowing that one of them will be his prey. And Poirot really is catlike. Sometimes he says that he's the good dog, once set on a track, he never lets go.

I always thought the "cat" was the murderer among the "pigeons" who were the young schoolgirls.

• @anne.clough.3, I think you're right: the HarperCollins book cover says "The school is thrown into chaos when the 'cat' strikes again." Obviously, the 'cat' being the murderer...
    I suppose, I was thinking of p. 103 in Mrs. McGintry's Dead: "One walks with the dogs and the guns... That is like us. It is not only one bird we put up...We must make very sure, cher ami, which is our bird."
  • Thanks, I always thought the imagery of the title was to show that this was a group of "innocents" or "pigeons" who  had been infiltrated by someone who would kill them, "the cat".

I thought it was very applicable to the ruthless killer who was in the midst of the schoolgirls.

I still think it isn't a very good Title but I can't think what would be, thank you anyway.
  • BluemoonNatBluemoonNat Cebu City, Philippines
    I just finished reading The Labors of Hercules and I haven't bought more because here they're really expensive and its hard to come across an Agatha Christie book

• @BluemoonNat have you tried purchasing online? I find it a lot cheaper. You can find sites that have free worldwide delivery.
  • I'm now reading "Sad Cypress", because it's the book of the month  :-)  I read it in Dutch because I'm from Belgium just like Hercule Poirot     ;-) The novel is called: "Schuldig in eigen ogen"
  • @silvana, do you think that being from Belgium helps you understand and appreciate H. Poirot? [unrelated to this topic, I know, but after Silvana wrote that, I just HAD to ask!]
    Or do you feel that AC didn't really know that much about Belgiums - just like Ariadne Oliver kept saying that people would write to correct her about her Flemish detective...
  • DeanDean United Kingdom
    I'm in the middle of reading the murder on the orient express. It is quiet good.
  • @shifra.shomron  I appreciate Poirot for his " belgian little grey cells". He's proud to be a Belgian, he often says" I'm belgian!!"  when people think of ask if he's french. I recognize that ! Belgian people are proud :-) I myself live in the Flemish region of Belgium and speaks dutch and a little bit french, Poirot must have been born in the french speaking part of Belgium, because he only speaks french( and english of course) not dutch. 
    Oh, and yes he's a proud belgian, he likes chocalates!!( me too  :-)  

But, honestly, we have a lot of detectives here in Belgium like Mr James Japp who could use someone like Hercule Poirot  ;-) 
  • I am re-reading The Third Girl. Took a brief hiatus to read Sad Cypress, as it is the May book of the month.  But picked back up where I left off. 
  • @silvana, yes - for breakfast he has cocoa and eclairs, and he drinks sirops. So he definitely has a sweet tooth! And in England that sort of breakfast must have seemed so weird - instead of having bacon, eggs, toast, kippers. He's always surprised when George brings out beer or whiskey for his guests - he doesn't even know he has it in his house!
  • @shifra.shomron ...and I've never seen or read in the novels that Hercule Poirot eat french fries neither drinks beer although we belgian people like  beer, french fries and chocolates very much !  :-)  Maybe he will in the new novel written by Mrs Hannah? 
  • SunsetsSunsets Philippines
    I just finished reading Sad Cypress and here I am, furious at myself for not seeing the murderer who hid in plain sight
  • Just reread The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.  Such an incredible and cleverly written book!  As I already knew the killer, it almost seems obvious during my reread,  but they are so many tricks and turns and such a myriad of "smaller" mysteries entwined within the plot, that I can see why so many people were shocked by the ending!  I consider it one of her best writes.
  • rdgarland78rdgarland78 Kentucky, United States
    Currently reading my third straight Christie Mystery - I'll give you a hint...it involves a very famous train, a snow drift, and a funny little man with an awesome 'stash.
  • If our mail didn't take sooooo long, I'd be reading Hickory Dickory Dock. I can't believe I'm still waiting for it to arrive! 
  • MichaelHallMichaelHall Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Hi - just joined the community............

Setting off on a Poirot Project and welcome any input 

I have been a keen but "passive" follower of Poirot for some time 

Decided to launch into a legacy project for my grand children (not sure how they will view it !)

Using the chronological book list I am embarking on reading through the lot - in order

So recently started on The Mysterious Affair at Styles

Also using this as a reason to visit book shops / charity shops etc 

And then creating some reflections of the read and the time of the read etc as part of the legacy 

Early days but really enjoying the project 

• I just last night finished Hickory Dickory Dock. I had forgotten "who dunit," since the last time I read this one.  So I wasn't sure until the very end.  It's a good one.  Now I'm on to After the Funeral.  I like this story, and the 1960s movie version, although the movie made it a Miss Marple story.  Which is a thoroughly enjoyable movie, but I do think it's weird that anyone would have the nerve to make such a major change to an Agatha Christie story.  Looking forward to reading it with Poirot as the detective.

I love the book and The MR film too, Insome ways  think it is better than the Suchet version, I prefer this book to Hickory Dickory Dock although it is nice to have Miss Lemon rather than Japp or Hastings
  • monamismonamis Blackpool, United Kingdom
    At the moment I am reading 'One, Two, Buckle My Shoe' for the first time. It's really intriguing and I'm having great fun stretching my little grey cells trying to discover the murderer  
  • Excellent!!