Which Agatha Christie are you reading now?

Comments

• 4.50 from Paddington at the moment! Love it so far
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

That was the 1st Miss Marple Book I read.

• Just finished it this morning, I thought it was a good read, but dragged a bit I thought about half way through, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was surprised that Chrisite references the war and at the end of the novel Marple's views on  capital punishment, which I think were referenced in 'The Thirteen Problems.'
  • itschaksitschaks Darjeeling, India
    I finished with Endless Night a few days ago, I like the way Ma'am Christie blended romance with mystery, and death....Her books, at the last few pages always have that sharp tangy twist in the plot, and this one really had the best of those, it took me by a sharp blow .... Loved It.... Perhaps The best of Christie.... 
  • Reading 'The Labours of Hercules' and have just bought the complete short stories cd's so listening to Hugh Fraser while I read along! Enjoying it so far! 
  • Luke said:
    Reading 'The Labours of Hercules' and have just bought the complete short stories cd's so listening to Hugh Fraser while I read along! Enjoying it so far! 
    Which story from "Labours" are you on now? 
  • Just started 'The Cretan Bull' at the moment 
  • I have just finished the Labours of Hercules, and having watched the Suchet adaptation before, I was curious to read the stories for themselves and whilst I can see that they made an effort to cram as many stories into a stand alone film, I can't help feeling disappointed for Christie fans that the stories weren't a series by itself :(  . I really enjoyed reading the stories, especially read by Fraser as he reads them beautifully who voiced each character accurately  :)
  • Luke said:
    I have just finished the Labours of Hercules, and having watched the Suchet adaptation before, I was curious to read the stories for themselves and whilst I can see that they made an effort to cram as many stories into a stand alone film, I can't help feeling disappointed for Christie fans that the stories weren't a series by itself :(  
    It's definitely a shame that this masterpiece of a short story collection wasn't adapted in a series of episodes, a mini-series special. It would have been better to film this in the 90's when the series was at its peak and when the shorter stories were emphasized. They could have filmed each of the stories in Labours while at the same time filming stories from the other collections. It would've cost more money and the production team would be quite busy but it would have been more worth it in the long run. Honestly, they shouldn't have made the effort to cram everything in one film because it was still bad. That's like taking Miss Marple's The Tuesday Night Club Murders collection and cramming all those stories in one single film. It won't work because that's not how the concept was conceived. Works like The Labours of Hercules and The Tuesday Night Club remain part of their respective Poirot and Miss Marple series, but the collections themselves are its own self-contain story arc -- they are a kind of special event. 
    It would have been so much better to have them as Hour-long Episodes.
    This Book is the subject of a Thread on The Poirot Page of Facebook, Someone asked if they wete the only one who found the Adaptation Confusing.
  • Currently reading Sparkling Cyanide. After I finish I hope to watch the two adaptations based on the book. All I know about them is that both films are updated to the respective time periods in which they were originally shot and not in the period Christie set the story. How unfortunate because then it would mean the book is in need of a proper adaptation but I'll watch them first then give my assessment. 
    I prefer the more recent one.

I started reading Dumb Witness This morning, still on Chapter 1.

• JH1315JH1315 London, United Kingdom
    Read both Cards on the Table and The ABC Murders in the last month, and have just started The Mystery of the Blue Train a few days ago. I'm a little worried given most of the response to the book I've seen is less positive than Christie's other novels, but so far I'm enjoying it despite the perhaps slow build up.
    I read Cards On The Table and ABC Murders in the last few weeks too, but have taken The Mystery of The Blue Train off my Reading list.
  • KymWigtonKymWigton UK, London
    I read Cards On The Table and ABC Murders in the last few weeks too, but have taken The Mystery of The Blue Train off my Reading list.
    Reading Cards On The Table last few weeks either :D 
    And I find it quite enjoying 
    Just finished The Mystery of the Blue Train and felt like all Christie books (that I've read so far) it was well written and enjoyable, but I can see where some would fault it.

Going to now try and read Elephants Can Remember, which I know also gets quite a lot of criticism... and unfortunately I remember seeing part of the TV episode some years back before I got into Christie novels, and I think I can slightly recall who the killer may have been. Either way I'm interested to see how Christie's writing may have adapted in her later years, particularly as the closest to this in date I have read so far is Five Little Pigs, which I think was written some thirty years before in the early 40's. 
    I am not keen on The Mystery of The Blue Train and don't read it anymore, I like Elephant's Can Remember, I hope you enjoy it.
    I am not keen on The Mystery of The Blue Train and don't read it anymore, I like Elephant's Can Remember, I hope you enjoy it.
    Thanks! I'm onto Part II of the book now, and aim to finish it tomorrow. I'm enjoying it, but it feels so short in comparison to the others I've read. 
  • JH1315 said:
    Thanks! I'm onto Part II of the book now, and aim to finish it tomorrow. I'm enjoying it, but it feels so short in comparison to the others I've read. 
    You're right, Elephants Can Remember is short compared to Christie's other books, especially with the Poirot series.

What is the next Christie book on your to be read list? 
  • I'm about to start The ABC Murders. Been awhile since I last read it so it's nice to revisit it after such a long time. 
    I didn't remember it was in Parts.
  • I am new to Agatha and I am new to this site.  I had 76 of the Bantam books made available to me and took The Body in the Library for a test drive and I was hooked.  I have since bought four more of the series off ebay.  I am currently reading the The Secret Adversary and just finished The Mysterious Affair at Styles.  I hope to bounce all around this site and gather bits of wisdom from all that discovered this tremendous author before myself.
  • ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    I'm re-reading Murder on the Orient Express, actually my favourite. 
    I have started Re-reading Death On The Nile
  • I'm about to read Crooked House, to prepare for the upcoming film in December. I may read it twice but either way I'm going to take copious notes and when the movie comes out I will make my comparisons to the book. 
    I read it as a Contrast to others I read for enjoyment.
  • ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    I'm reading The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side, my first Miss Marple.  
  • I'm reading The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side, my first Miss Marple.  
    Tell us your opinion of the book when you're finished.