Which Agatha Christie are you reading now?

Comments

• Evil under the sun I am reading atm, went to Burgh Island  and Greenway this summer, a lovely part of the world. Loved it there. I think the book is great so far 
  • One of my favourites. Really, really convincing plot. Let us know if you guessed the who, how and why before you finished, and at what point in the story you guessed it.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I have started to read The Adventure of The Christmas Pudding which I have started to do every year.
  • I'm going for Hercule Poirot's Christmas.
  • So am I, Griselda.
  • martin223martin223 Levoca, Slovakia
    I've just finished 'Murder is easy' and now I continue with 'The Man in the Brown Suit'.
    Oh that is an excellent one, Enjoy it.
    As I said I would Started 7 Dials, already 1 death.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I love this book. Bundle is fantastic. One of my favorites!
    I am really enjoying it again.

I am re-reading Body In The Library. Dolly Bantry says some wonderful things

"Selina Blake is The Nicest Woman imaginable, HER herbaceous Borders are Simply Marvellous"

"He was an Adorable Baby in his Bath"

• Tommy_A_Jones, what I found hilarious was that Colonel Bantry was ready to excuse Basil's outrageous action because he was drunk, and behaving strangly when you are drunk (and getting drunk in the first place) are acceptable behaviours for an english gentleman.
  • The Body In The Library has one of the best openings of an Agatha Christie book. It starts out ordinarily -- a dream -- but then we read one of the most memorable words in not only the Christie canon but I think the mystery genre: "Oh ma'am, ma'am there's a body in the library!" 
  • CrookedQuinCrookedQuin California, United States
    I read a while ago Mrs. McGinty dead, just finished Hickory Dickory Dock, and I think I may be finished with all of her novels (except for two short story collections)

Yes Tali (If I may call you that) I find that funny too but no-one asked Bazil to get drunk, It is very real that people are excused misdemeanours due to drink and shows to me Christie is still relevant today

I too love The Beginning of the Book, I can't at the moment think of a better opening to a Christie Novel.

• AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    My goodness, I started reading Passenger to Frankfurt at the beginning of December and still haven't finished it lol. It was one of the few Christie books I hadn't read yet, but thus far it's living up to many of the critiques of the book I have read.
  • I attempted reading Passenger To Frankfurt twice already and I still didn't get far into it. I'll try it again at a later point. Maybe third time will be the charm :wink:
  • edited January 2017
    Tommy_A_Jones, Tali is my real name. As for openings - I liked both the opening and ending of "A murder is announced". But I agree with you, the opening of "A body in the library" is special! As for Basil's being drunk - I think AC was slyly poking fun at Colonel Bantry, who is repelled and very vocal against Basil's bohemian lifestyle before he knows about his involvement, but excuses his outrageous action against himself (planting the body in his library) once he hears he was drunk.
  • @taliavishay-arbel, A Murder Is Announced receives plenty of flak on the cupboard trick that Miss Marple pulls towards the end. How did you feel about it? DId you find it convincing? 
  • The cupboard trick was unrealistic and I didn't like it. The ending I was refering to was the very end - when Edmund and Phillipa have returned from their honeymoon and are ordering newspapers, and they insist that they don't want the local paper (the one in which the original ad. appeared), and both the newsagent's wife and the newsagent don't believe it. The contrast between the newlyweds' revulsion (after all this newspaper began the whole tragic and frightening affair, and they are not exactly "neighbourhood oriented") and the automatic assumption that they will want it, because of course they will want to know what is going on with their neighbours, was really funny.  If you read a shortened version, perhaps that was left out - in "The moving finger", e.g., in the american version, the prologue (Jerry's convalescence, the doctor's suggestion and finding the house) and the epilogue (Jerry walking towards Megan's house, meeting Emily and getting her news and then meeting Megan and hearing about the wedding persents) were cut out.
    I don't remember the end of A Murder Is Announced but  I agree, The beginning is brilliant
    Started Death In The Clouds Today
  • CrookedQuinCrookedQuin California, United States
    The Floating Admiral
    I am Re-Reading ABC Murders for the 8th Time, Just started
  • I'm about to start reading Sad Cypress 
    I am Re-Reading ABC Murders for the 8th Time, Just started
  • I've just finished reading Peril at End House, which I've been following with the CD narrated by Hugh Fraser. It was great reading a Hastings novel, with Fraser reading it. Now I've finished that I've got the complete Marple short stories and I'm currently reading The Thirteen Problems, and I've have just read the second story, The House of Astarte which was very disturbing but very thrilling to read.  I hope that there are other gems like this one, I'm sure there will be!
  • I have just finished reading 'The Thirteen Problems' and thought they were great! 
  • JeffersonJefferson Mogi Guaçu
    Estou terminando de ler " Os cinco porquinhos".
  • I take it that is "Five little pigs" and I liked it. I liked the "Rashumon" effect of hearing the same day narrated by 5 people from different angles.