What Agatha Christie book are you reading right now?

Comments

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Griselda said:
    Yes, that's right, I remember. The murder doesn't kick starting the action as happens in many other AC novels. It gives it a different feel.  I really enjoyed the whole vibe of the book, and I remember growing up watching 1970s films, and that whole sense of the existing social order breaking down, and everyone entering a brave new world. It is interesting about the property prices being cheap for big old mansions. The era Christie had written about for so long was ending - being wiped away, and many of the old attitudes becoming irrelevant. Although I remember the atmosphere, other parts of the novel are a blur. I certainly remember other of AC's books in greater detail. 
    @Griselda , it's one of the things that I enjoy her books. You can "feel" the atmosphere of an era that does not exist anymore, but when you read her books, it's so real real. Sometimes I feel as if I was there!
    I've just started reading The hound of Death and I'm enjoying a lot. Very different from "the usual A.C.", but really great.
  • And then there were none, the classic, never read it although seen the stage play which I thought was FAB and seen the recent BBC series 
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    Hi, sorry, I forgot to come back and comment on Endless night. I have to admit I enjoyed it. It is not among her best, and the ending revisits a resolution from one of her most popular mysteries, but I liked the narrator, and didn't see the ending coming. Not a bad "later Christie" book at all.
  • I was thinking, Agathasmykid, that it must have been hard to narrate the story from the point of view of a sociopath because no neurotypical person knows how they exactly think. Some sociopaths have explained a little what it is like to 'think', if 'think' be the right term. AC did a really good job, and at keeping the secret till the end, I think.
  • Finished And Then There Were None, never read anything so dark by AC, but I think that wile the tv series was accurate, I think they over stepped the mark, I know some people will disagree with me on this. It was a real page turner and I think its a good AC choice for people who may not like AC work generally 
  • Luke said:
    Finished And Then There Were None, never read anything so dark by AC, but I think that wile the tv series was accurate, I think they over stepped the mark, I know some people will disagree with me on this. It was a real page turner and I think its a good AC choice for people who may not like AC work generally 
    Can you explain how they "overstepped the mark" in the adaptation? 
  • right now I'm reading Double Sin short story collection. Currently reading the first story Double Sin. 
    Now, I'm re-reading Why they didn't ask Evans? And I'm enjoying so much! Bobby and Frances, they're very funny and charming couple!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    That Is A Brilliant Book.
    That Is A Brilliant Book.
    I agree. I love the beginning os the story!

This Morning I started Murder At The Vicarage, I relate to Leonard, I used to live away and Phoned My Mum every Thursday, once I got no reply and found the Phone number of someone 2 doors down and she saw my Mum was alright, It remembered it when Griselda said The Vicar once phoned Scotland Yard due to not getting a message.
    My first Miss Marple, @Tommy_A_Jones! And I appreciate this book a lot. I love the way Miss Marple solve the murder and the way A.C describes St. Mary Mead.
    Leonard is a great character too.
    I love the Tea Party, I imagine the 4 old ladies as 4 Chickens clucking away, I imagine Griselda as a young Cat.
    I love that Book, It is Terrific, Enjoy.
  • AnnikaAnnika United States of America
    Destination Unknown is one of my favorite non-Poirot/Marple stories. I really love the premise and think something like that could actually happen in real life. I am going to read The Monogram Murders (not Agatha Christie of course) for the first time so I can review it for my blog. I have been avoiding it up until now...
  • I started with 4:50 from Padinghton when I was 12. Now I am 16 and I have just finished Murder on the Orient Express. I don't get through them very fast, since I live in Greece and it is hard to get them all here. However I want to read And then they were none next.
  • Hi Luke, have you seen any of the tv dramatisations of the novels? The reason I ask, is that it is often suggested that giving the stories a  new modern treatment will serve to bring in a new audience. I wondered if you yourself, who do, indeed, appreciate the novels, would like a changed-about-version of the stories. Also, would you think that other readers of your generation would like the television adaptations to be jazzed up and made modern? 

Sorry to hear that you can't get access to the stories. I wonder if you could get your hands on a kindle, or if someone would use their Amazon account to buy some copies for you. Perhaps Tuppence, or one of the other moderators, could help you out with useful contacts or libraries in Greece - or send you a complementary copy of And Then There Were None. 

@LukeMcLAre, nice choice! All of them are marvelous! It's a pitty you can't get acess to the stories! Even in greek or you can't get access to them in english?
  • Reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, at the point towards the end, where Poirot interviews the palourmaid, a real pageturner, can't wait for the reveal!
  • @ChristieFanForLife
    I don't know, I think it was just too dark for me personally. I thought that the brutalness of the tv series was quite shocking. Thinking on it more, I think that it was an accurate adaptation and that I had not prepared myself of the darkness of the book, as I read the book after I had watched it. But I loved the stage version very much
  • Just finished The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, certainly can see why it is given its fame, the twist is extraordinary 
    Inspired by "Book of the Month", I'm re-reading TheThirteen Problems. I'm enjoying a lot.
    That is my next AC Book.
    edited May 2016
    @Tommy_A_Jones, I don't if it's your case, but I had forgotten the stories. So, I'm enjoying a lot to re-read it. It seems as I'm reading for the first time.
    Oh Lucky, you, It doesn't bother me knowing who dunnit in a book but you are lucky being in that position.
  • Just finished rereading "Appointment with Death". It's a book that fascinates me again and again. The ending is so good - not just the resolution of the murder, but the resolution of the anger and hatred towards the victim by the real victims. The final lines, by the youngest daughter, really resolve the whole thing. Great story.
    later I will start The Thirteen Problems.
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    I have been travelling with Poirot the last few days eg: Murder On The Orient Express.Death on the Nile.Death In The Clouds.Evil Under The Sun.I have just started and finished Murder In Mesopotamia whilst on a train journey form Edinburgh to London.This is the only time i have read a book from start to finish in one sitting(Just Under 5 hours)Where to next I wonder...........
  • @MarcWatson-Gray - that's a great post!  How about Thirteen at Dinner (Lord Edgeware) to keep Poirot home for a while before setting out again?  You're on a roll with 1930's books anyway.