What Agatha Christie book are you reading right now?

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    That is another I have taken off my Reading list, I found it dull.
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    I'll keep my fingers crossed...I'm only on chapter three !!!!
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I've just started Pearl At End House.It's set in summertime and i'm hoping that it'll make up for the summer that we haven't had in Scotland........So far......

P.S. Also love the cast of characters !!
      Not a masterpiece, but a nice / average book. I also love the tv adaption. It's very well done and faithful.
    Glad to hear that the t.v. adap'n has been faithful as that's all I've seen.....First time reading the book.....It describes Hasting's as having a mustache.........Finding that one hard to picture !!!
  • I'm re-reading "Five little Pigs". I didn't like it so much last time I read it, but now it seems much more valid and deep. Interesting that here also, AC uses my favourite expression about child rearing: "A little healthy neglect". However, here she contrasts the two extremes - too much attention, what we call today "helicopter parents", and lack of involvement - a situation where a husband and wife are so focused on each other that a child feels on the outside of the family. There is so much to be learned from her.
  • Absolutely. I like the characters, and the writing concerning those who are not involved in the murder. I couldn't quite grasp the character of the murderer from the descriptions. I thought very keenly observed by AC was the attitude of Caroline to her husband, her censor before he says the "packing" bit by way of response. I can imagine somebody being like her and pointing out that he is being unfair to the other woman. I think good also is the way that nobody but Poirot sees that a certain phrase used would not have been used by Amaeus ( or whatever his name is)

I have just started re-reading The Man In The Brown Suit.

• Finished sad cypress ... Lovely,poirot gives me hope, stunning!!!
    @maryamalbulushi, I like this book, but I have the feeling it would be better without Poirot.
    Re-reading The Seven Dials Mystery! It's was my second A.C and I love this book! Bundles is an excellent character!
    I love this one too, I wish we had more Bundle Books, Enjoy.
    I love this one too, I wish we had more Bundle Books, Enjoy.
    Thanks! I would like it too. She's amazing!
  • tudes said:
    Re-reading The Seven Dials Mystery! It's was my second A.C and I love this book! Bundles is an excellent character!
    Love this book!
    Now, I'm rereading The Sittaford Mystery.
    I read again a few weeks ago and I love it, for me Narracott is one of the best Policemen.
    I read again a few weeks ago and I love it, for me Narracott is one of the best Policemen.
    I've read it years ago and really don't remeber the story very well. so, I think it will be nice to read it now.
    When ever I finish it I want to go back to the beginning but don't it gives me such a happy feeling.
  • Just finished "A Murder is Announced" (awesome!) and just started "Crooked House."  I have only read the popular Christies, but Miss Marple is my favorite sleuth.  Wish we had more of her.

Back on this thread a bit someone dissed Endless Night.  I liked it ... maybe you have to be a fan of Gothics to enjoy it as I did.

Happy 125, dear Agatha!

@Peggy, two excellent choices! I love  both of them!
    I hope you enjoy Crooked House as you did "A Murder is Announced"!
  • Hi Peggy, I think the story stunningly captures the way that a sociopath can create a whole back story for himself and act his new self, so that you would never believe what he has done until the twist is revealed.. It is very typical of its era whe lots of screenplays and books were being written about goodlooking young lads hitting upon heiresses opportunistically. Christie captures the sense of female innocence betrayed, and how charm can seem to have a fresh naivety even when that lack of moral scruple creates situations which are grotesquely and intricately evil almost without intending to do anything worse than to please themselves. The mother is a great character creation.
    I Started re-reading The secret of Chimneys today.
  • Forum members have often said that they enjoy the atmosphere of Agatha Christie novels, and the social settings; they would love to be part of village life, and to live through one of the novels as a minor character. I have just read an hilarious article by Melissa Kite, in The Spectator Magazine, describing how she was looking for a village property to move to, when, one day, she realised that she didn't want to move to somewhere, she wanted to move to a time, about 1956, when people were friendly, and village life was peaceful, and all the old people were like Miss Marple. It dawned on her that English villages are no longer like that, people are tired and bad-tempered after commuting, there is no longer a pub or a post office in every village; in fact, you'd have more neighbourliness in big cities where people have to get on because they can't retire behind their double gates! It really struck a chord with me that idea of wanting to capture the predictability and decency of life in Agatha Christie's days! - well, as she describes it.
    This is very true Griselda.We moved to a village across the river from our city and found that it was quite "in-bred" and unfriendly.Grudges between families lingered on etc. I started to feel really unhappy as i drove over the bridge at night to a home that i didn't feel was like a home.
    We eventually decided to move back to the city and our little terrace (without sounding twee) is a warm friendly little community.community. Neigbours visiting sick neighbours. Mince.Mince pies go around at Christmas time. Neighbours chat the garden fences (i kid you not !!!)
    No more village life for me !!
    I love Miss Marple's St Mary Mead and the whole idea of an English village and would love to think that it still exists somewhere ,but i always imagine the idyllic  village as being in some past time.
    Sorry.Meant over the garden fences !!!
  • It does sound especially warm and friendly in your community, Marc, and, even here in South East London, people in the corner shops take time to chat, and they know customers by name, and all the family news. It isn't quite sharing mince pies - that must be great - but It feels like a social occasion popping out for groceries, and talking about each other's football teams. Not havin local shops and especially a pub in a village must really take away the heart of it.
  • AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada
    Very interesting comments, especially as I am thinking of moving out of the big city to a smaller community! But with regard to quaint, lovely villages: many years ago, I bicycled from London to Glasgow. It took months, and I stayed in Youth Hostels in small communities all the way. A wonderful experience, and EVERYONE I met, including villagers and other young wandervogels, was friendly and welcoming. Not once did I encounter a mean or unpleasant person. Of course, I only stayed in each place for a day or two. I imagine the experience would be different if I were to move there. 
  • Your reminiscence reminds me of Dead Man's Folly, Anubis, and the irritation those at the big house felt towards the youth hostellers next door who used to cut through their grounds! As the house and setting is thought to have been inspired by an Agatha Christie home, I wonder if she had been frustrated by young visitors taking liberties. I bet the sight of you and your companions having fun and being adventurous really inspired the local people you met. That's why villages need an inn and a centre in which to have fun, because it's the fun which brings people together. Christmas encourages people to hand out mince pies, and I strongly feel that every country needs a greater number of feast days, according to the various cultural preferences there, so they can doing something fun and celebrate. I like reading in Thomas Hardy novels about Michaelmass Day celebrations, and May Day with the pole and dancing. I think there was a Lady Day, and January 6th was celebrated more. Food sharing and dances would definitely lead to all communities being more sociable and close knit.
    I think it is unfair to tar all Villages with the same brush, I am sorry about your bad experience Marc but there is good and bad everywhere, Bad Villages, Bad Towns, Bad Cities, Bad Work Places, and not very nice people everywhere and the Opposite applies too. 
    I agree with you Tommy,But bad experiences make you a bit more cautious.Maybe i expected too much too soon (though it should not be like that)But you are correct in that i shouldn't judge all by my one bad experience.However a friend of mine who lives in another village,tells the same story......Maybe it's us  !!!!!..............I hope not.......
    P.S. Back on topic. I am now reading, Why Didn't They Ask Evans........Loving it.....Frankie...or Lady Frances,is good fun !!!