What Agatha Christie book are you reading right now?

Comments

• I've ordered "Hickory Dickory Dock" and I'm still waiting for it to arrive! I've never read it.
  • kaisunrajkaisunraj London, City of, United Kingdom
    Reading 'Murder on the Orient Express' for the third time. Never gets old.
  • EmsEms France
    I finished reading Murder on the Orient-Express yesterday. That was clever and unexpected, as always. 
    Next to read: The Listerdale Mystery. 
  • Just finished rereading Appointment with Death last night.  I thought I would remember the killer once I started - having read the book before and seen the movie with Peter Ustinov, but I was once again surprised.  Another ingenious plot of AC, where you think the killer will be x, y, or z, but then out of left field.......
    Those of you that are familiar with the ending, I was trying to think of other books that had that same type of setup, where the victim (or killer) is speaking, but the words are meant to be heard by someone else.  I thought of Death on the Nile, where the killer is speaking loudly as to be heard through the wall.  Any others??
  • ShaneBillingsShaneBillings Maine, United States
    I just read After the Funeral, and I am not sure why that one doesn't get mentioned more.  I loved it!  Shocked me.  I thought the clues were wonderful in retrospect.  I have only read sixteen Christie novels, so perhaps she uses similar tricks elsewhere, but to me: this one is genius!  I was blown away by the ending.  
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I started he Clocks This morning, I love the book, but It doesn't need Poirot.
  • To ShaneBillings:  yes there are other AC books in which she uses that same idea (from After the Funeral) ...I don't want to spoil any reading, but a great book for reference is Agatha Christie, Murder in the Making: More Stories and Secrets from Her Notebooks, by John Curran.  
  • Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    I think the trick in "After the Funeral" is one of her best. As are most of the books, where she played with the genre conventions.

@ShaneBillings: If you like the book, watch the televison-movie with David Suchet. I think it's even better.
  • I finished Hickory, Dickory Dock and recently re-read Poirot Investigates after it was mentioned several times in the forums... Lots of fun! Now I'm considering what to re-read next :)
    I have just started At Bertram's Hotel
  • shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname
    Zeddie, what is this Agatha Christie book collection that's sending you books to read? As it happens I" am also reading Dead Man's Folly. Also, do you know about the Book about Town project?
  • ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    I'm reading, The 13 Problems. The second story was written by John Buchan in one of his short stories.
    I love The 13 Problems, I love the Set up. the Characters, and although I find some of the stories better than others I like all the stories, I don't really like Joyce and Jane who tells The Bungalow and that is my least favourite of the stories followed by Ingots of Gold, Enjoy.
  • Just finished The Murder of Roger Ackroyd for the umpteenth time.  Now reading The Thirteen Problems and Miss Marple's final cases, (Miss Marple not my fave, but have overdone Poirot for a while, so needed a change), although having said that I love Sleeping Murder! Best reads, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Sad Cypress, Towards Zero, Crooked House and After the Funeral

• AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    I have ordered 'the Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side' and am waiting for it to arrive.  To hold me over I am reading stories from on of my favourite books; Poirot, the Complete Short Story Collection
    I have just started "By The Pricking of My Thumbs, It is ages since I last read it, It is my least favourite Tommy and Tuppence Book, I wonder if I like it more his time round. 
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I'm reading Hickory Dickory Dock and it's quite enjoyable. I' m very anxious to know who the murderer is (or are).
  • pap_runnerpap_runner Attiki, Greece
    Just finished "Lord Edgware Dies" (poirot's fan to be honest)  and already started "The seven dials mystery"
  • I'm currently reading "Peril at End House", I'm just over half way through and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! 
    I have just started Halloween Party
  • Yesterday I've finished Postern of Fate (in my list - the second most awful book after Passenger to Frankfurt) and now I'm reading Sparkling Cyanide
    I have just started Re-eading Nemesis
  • I'm reading Halloween party. I'm enjoying a lot. I really like Poirot and Ariadne together. It's always a great book!
    I have jut started Elephants Can Remember, I haven't read it for over 20 years I don't think
  • I started reading Lord Edgeware Dies but gave it away after first couple of chapters.  Can somebody tell me whether this one is worth pursuing please?  

• Tommy_A_Jones - how is Elephants going?  I read that in Senior School and remember enjoying it, but can't for the life of me remember the plot!  It is often listed as one of the weakest, so would be interested on your thoughts. 
  • I started reading Lord Edgeware Dies but gave it away after first couple of chapters.  Can somebody tell me whether this one is worth pursuing please?  

It is definitely worth pursuing. I have picked up a quote which has my own thoughts: 'This story presents a most ingenious crime puzzle and a still more ingenious solution, all set forth with the consummate skill of which Agatha Christie is mistress'. Alternative USA title is: Thirteen at Dinner.

Tommy_A_Jones - how is Elephants going?  I read that in Senior School and remember enjoying it, but can't for the life of me remember the plot!  It is often listed as one of the weakest, so would be interested on your thoughts. 
    There are mixed reviews on this one. However, it was made into a film and a radio play. As it is a Poirot story, it has my vote.
    I have just finished Chapter 1, At A Literary Lunch Ariadne is approached by a woman whose son is engaged to Ariadne;s God-Daughter, she asks Ariadne whether The God-Daughter's Father killed hisn wife and then himself or Visa Versa so Ariadne goes to Poirot for help, The Plot sounds Great like something in a Beresford Book, I do hope the Book is able to live up to its expectations and doesn't wither like 2 of The Beresford Books.
  • Thanks Dr S and Tommy - I will definitely persevere with Edgeware.  The alternative title of Thirteen at Dinner sounds very intriguing!

Hope Elephants is maintaining momentum.  Chapter 1 sounds complex and full of promise at least!
    I am really enjoying Elephants, I had forgotten Spence appears this is partly because I thought he was only in 3 books, McGinty, Flood and Halloween but he is in this ne too, maybe he is just in it as much as Battle is in Murder Is Easy, I shall have to wait and see, I am still at the bit where Poirot is talking to Spence and the Investigator of the Original Incident so I have a long way to go.